Ontario school board accused of pressuring teachers not to teach ‘racist’ To Kill a Mockingbird

You don't think the hard left deals in nuance do you?

The book has the N word in it. Therefore it is racist.
There are some over-the-top stuff coming from the left , doesn't mean we all agree with it. Dawkins is a lefty but he goes counter to the general liberal / lefty apologist stance on Islam, as do I.

Lol at all the white people who are upset that their kids wont get to read a hateful and demoralizing book about black people. Guess you're just going to have to teach them how to hate the old fashioned way.
Lol at all the white people
Lol at all the black people
Lol at all the brown people
Is this how you talk to people in the real world or just the internet world? Grow up

The word is wrong and I was offended reading it as a kid. Book should be removed.

Lol at all the white people
Lol at all the black people
Lol at all the brown people
Is this how you talk to people in the real world or just the internet world? Grow up

The word is wrong and I was offended reading it as a kid. Book should be removed.
<JagsKiddingMe>

So great literary works that contain offensive words should be removed from school?

Considering the medium of the literary work contained by a book, as the work exists, is created, and consumed, don't you feel that sentiment is short sighted, and somewhat cowardly?

My guess is that a bunch of women on the school board do not like the part where it is revealed that a woman lies about being raped and a man is wrongly punished because of her lies. It is not the best story for students to be reading in the #MeToo and #BelieveAllWomen era. We can't have students thinking that not everything a woman says is true and sometimes they have ulterior motives.

Without a doubt. Though the "ban" was made some time ago, I'd suspect very strongly that with where we are now (Especially with thr Kavanagh/Ford dust up), at least some of the renewed attention at bringing down this book is due in part to #believeallwomen or whatever that movement is.

Despite gong to school in Ontario,i never encountered the book in any curriculum. But given how reasonable Canada is, I assume this "literature" is riddled with obscenities and should in all likelihood be burned.

So they have never read the book or they fail to understand the point of the book which is anti racist.

Or they are just virtue signaling shit heads.

Cant judge a culture that aint my own.

I dont have any iota what the school system is like out there.
Tho i do understand where they are coming from and what they are getting at.

As an american I feel that book is a double edge sword.

It can be a cautionary tale for some, and a how-to manual for others.

I can only imagine what the 'officially authorized list of progressive reading material' would look like and how dumbed down kids would be.

My guess is that a bunch of women on the school board do not like the part where it is revealed that a woman lies about being raped and a man is wrongly punished because of her lies. It is not the best story for students to be reading in the #MeToo and #BelieveAllWomen era. We can't have students thinking that not everything a woman says is true and sometimes they have ulterior motives.
My guess as well. There's nothing racist about the book (as far as I remember)

So great literary works that contain offensive words should be removed from school?

Considering the medium of the literary work contained by a book, as the work exists, is created, and consumed, don't you feel that sentiment is short sighted, and somewhat cowardly?
I don’t think the book should be removed but they should change the word. That way everyone can compromise and win/win

I don’t think the book should be removed but they should change the word. That way everyone can compromise and win/win

I disagreee, I think a disclaimer that adds context would be enough but I would greatly prefer your suggestion to the book being banned.

I disagreee, I think a disclaimer that adds context would be enough but I would greatly prefer your suggestion to the book being banned.

I think have parental advisory disclaimer would work.

I never knew they taught this book in Canada. I thought it was an American thing lol. It wasn’t taught in any of the schools I went to.

I read it in grade 7 or 8. Went to school in Sask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back