One more mouthguard option

fat_wilhelm

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
When I was looking at Opro's and Biteme's, I came across the following via a Google search.

http://www.customguards.com/

I emailed the site contact and the following is what I received in reply. If you're really into customization, then Biteme is probably still the better option, but this sounds pretty good for those of us that are OK w/ a solid color or a few stripes.

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:03:23 -0500

>Hello -
>
>Could you tell me if your elite level mouthguard would be appropriate
>for boxing or mixed martial arts? Also, how do your guards compare to
>Bite Me Mouthguards or Opro? I only ask because I am more familiar w/
>those two companies, but happened upon your website today.
>
>Thanks,
>Kurt

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kurt, first the elite level guard is the best for mma that is listed on the web, if you are fighting full contact with GNP and elbows allowed you may want to add more layers or incorporate your lower teeth as a negative into the upper guard. As far as how do we compare to opro or biteme I would say we have a better product than either. We have been doing customer direct mouthguards longer than opro and are the largest customer direct mouthguard manufacturer in the USA. We use a heat and pressure laminating technique that is the same process they use at biteme and I believe opro. Gladiator mouthguards are made using the same process that biteme uses, but we may use different vendors for our raw material, both are true hand made hand, trimmed mouthguards. Opro however is a machine trimmed guard that offers no customization options and each individuals mouth are not considered when trimming due to the fact the process has been automated and all guards are the same height. The big difference between biteme and Gladiator mouthguards is the price, due the extreme difference in size of the companies, and the buying power of Gladiator; biteme cannot yet match our prices for equivalent products. You will find an equal number if not more professional boxers and mma fighters wear Gladiator mouthguards as any brand.

John A. Hackman
President SGI / Manufacturer or Gladiator mouthguards

These guys names did come up a few weeks ago. THe guy provided good info but at the end of the day, he is trying to sell a product so I say take it witha grain of salt.

But one thing that is interesting is that he says all the opros are the same height. Didn't realise that

They certainly look good, although I must say I'm noticing the "1 post"

I know I'm new, but I certainly don't have anything to do w/ the company. I'm not advocating them as the best product -- just passing along what I learned since I always have heard Opro and Biteme, but assumed that there must be more than two companies that do the same thing.

I actually didn't know Sherdog existed until about two weeks ago, but have spent an awful lot of time browsing since then, and just got my username approved for posting today. Long time weightlifter/trainer, but very new to martial arts, etc.

Anyhow, take it for what it's worth. I almost refrained from posting it because I knew someone would question my motives since it's my first post. I've posted on NO supplements and a hot French news anchor since my #1, though, so I'm trying to get up to speed.

Oh yeah, and I wanted my first post to contain something of value -- not "What's the best mouthguard?" so as to avoid any responses w/ screen caps of the search bar circled in yellow and starred (although that was pretty damn funny).

That guy sounds like he knows his MMA "if you are fighting full contact with GNP and elbows allowed." I still like BiteMe though.

That's what I thought, too. Being the newbie that I am, it took me a minute to figure out what GNP meant. I read on a boxing board somewhere that Bernard Hopkins uses these guards, so we can all watch closely tonight to see if he gets his teeth knocked out.

Sounds like he likes (respects) Biteme's product, also -- Opro seems to be the "odd man out" as far as manufacturing methods go.

Sayin that Customguards is better than OPRO or BITEME is quite comical. Customguards can not compare to either, they are way to flimsy for mma in my opinion. You get what you pay for. OPRO is good but sells out of the UK with less customizable options, they are not hand made either, which can be important for the smallest detail. Biteme is the best in my opinion, hand made, sells out of CA and supports mma as well as supplies the mouthguards to a lot of the top pro's. Either way go with Biteme or OPRO first.

jamison -

Do you have first hand experience with Customguards? Just curious because their top guard is three layers, just like Biteme and Opro so I would doubt they are "way too flimsy", but maybe I'm missing something. Plus, supposedly, they can add more layers to suit. I'd be surprised if Bernard Hopkins wears a flimsy guard.

As far as your "You get what you pay for" statement...

Bite me: $105
Customguards: $75
Opro: $64.95

So, by your logic, Opro is the worst even though you said Customguards cannot compare to either of the other two. Now I'm confused.

Anyhow, I've never worn any of the three -- just trying to pick a good one, preferably, made in the U.S., w/o the need for fangs or flames or rainbows on the front, but w/ a definite desire to hold on to as much of my money as I can.

Yeah, what's your basis for that Jamison? The CG elite is 2 3mm layers and 1 2mm layer, for a total of 8mm, the Biteme and Opro top end models top out at 6mm. So, what makes them more flimsy?

I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who's tried ALL of them. Just sayin something is better than something else because of price doesn't neccessarily make it so. Just because a high class ho charges $1000/hour doesn't neccessarily make her better at sucking johns better than a cheap $2 ho. Also, I'm sure pro athletes get free hookups. Do you think they sit around a computer all day, surfing the net, trying to find the best gear? I'm sure if Hopkins got a free mouthguard from Opro, he'd probably rock them. Now, if he got knocked out while wearing one and breaking his teeth, then we'd all definitely know not to go Opro. :)

Well... I haven't tried any, but we've heard from enough people on this board to know that BiteMe and Opro are pretty highly regarded. I think I'm going to be the guinea pig and take the plunge into ordering a Customguard Gladiator. I'll report back w/ a little review after I get it and try it out and I'll include some photos of me getting kicked in the teeth.

Yes I have seen all three and ordered a biteme because of the fact. opro was quite good, Biteme was a little better and the customguard felt flimsy. Obviously FAT WILHELM has some association with customguards, probably the creator.

Unlikely, if he was a pro fighter he'd have the words "Professional Fighter" under his name.

Jamison --

Think what you want, but I have no association w/ them. I never stated which one I thought was the best -- I've never even seen any of the three guards in person. I was just confused by your flawed logic, and knew from reading your past posts that you have a hard on for Biteme for whatever reason, so I thought it would be prudent to question whether you have first hand experience w/ all of them or if you just felt like slamming products that you don't own.

You've stated that you do have first hand experience and that the 8 mil guard is much flimsier than the two 6 mil guards. Seems odd, but I'll take it for what it's worth. Maybe you didn't see their top of the line product?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm just trying to pass on info that I received. I thought that's what this board was for. Believe me, I don't have time to write phony email correspondence to plug a company that I have nothing to do with. I'm an architectural engineer in Detroit, not a mouthguard guy, but good job on the "obvious" assumption.

jamison said:
Yes I have seen all three and ordered a biteme because of the fact. opro was quite good, Biteme was a little better and the customguard felt flimsy. Obviously FAT WILHELM has some association with customguards, probably the creator. I know that the owner of customguards bought a mouthguard from biteme and then went into buisness making mouthguards. Lol.

Got a ballpark date for said purchase so we could compare it to when CG went into business?

fat_wilhelm said:
Jamison --

you have a hard on for Biteme for whatever reason, so I thought it would be prudent to question whether you have first hand experience w/ all of them or if you just felt like slamming products that you don't own.

I'm an architectural engineer in Detroit, not a mouthguard guy, but good job on the "obvious" assumption.
Apparently you read my review of biteme's mouthguard. It was a good review and I have since stated that in my opinion they offer the best made mouthguard (for some reason this gets you quite defensive). If from reading such, you have developed a conclusion that I have a "hard on" for biteme, you should steer clear of other reviews on the forums. When you make posts asking which people prefer (so far, that is all you have done) you will usually get a definitive opinion. This does not mean people are unjustly biased. So don't ask if you don't want to recieve. You have what, 13 posts? You have started threads on here asking what supplements to take, where to find a gi and how to get one, help with lifting weights, and which mouthguard is the best. Either you are completely new to mma or just a troll. Anyhow, I have no hard on for Biteme, but do believe they make the best mouthguard. It involves more than just what materials are used. Fit and finish play a large part. Do some research on Tom (owner of biteme), you will not find someone more qualified. This thread has been done to death. I think the other threads answered this subject.
Welcome to MMA, good luck with your supplements, weight lifting, finding a gi, and most of all training. Congratulations on being an "architectural engineer".

Back