one-hit-wonders of acting.

Katsumi Yamada

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
All of the really great actors have had several acclaimed roles, but who are the stars whos career never measured up to their breakthrough performance?

It's interesting because they are clearly talented to get such a famed performance, and I think its not always a case of being typecast since there are more iconic roles being played by actors who have had a string of acclaimed roles.

So I wonder why they were never able to replicate this form? Is it down to luck and bad parts>?
(Sorry if this thread has been done before!)

heres a few:

Ray Liotta (Goodfellas)
liotta-hill.jpg

Michael J. Fox (Back to the Future trilogy)
marty-mcfly-favim.com-370159.gif

John Heder (Napoleon Dynamite...in fairness he was also in that ice skating movie which was funny)
original.jpg

Sam Neill (Jurassic Park)
jurassicthree5.jpg

any more for any more? There are plenty of child stars and one-hit-wonders who were never that talented (Sam J. Jones for example).

jurassicthree5.jpg

Sam Neill was brilliant in the remake of Dr. Zhivago with Keira Knightley, btw.

Highly underrated mini-series.

Micahel J Fox and Ray Liotta aren't really fare to put in this category. The Back To The Future Trilogy is one of the greatest trilogies of all time and Goodfellas is one of the greatest movies of all time.

How are they supposed to surpass or equal?

All of the really great actors have had several acclaimed roles, but who are the stars whos career never measured up to their breakthrough performance?

It's interesting because they are clearly talented to get such a famed performance, and I think its not always a case of being typecast since there are more iconic roles being played by actors who have had a string of acclaimed roles.

So I wonder why they were never able to replicate this form? Is it down to luck and bad parts>?
(Sorry if this thread has been done before!)

heres a few:

Ray Liotta (Goodfellas)
liotta-hill.jpg

jurassicthree5.jpg

any more for any more? There are plenty of child stars and one-hit-wonders who were never that talented (Sam J. Jones for example).

I think you're pretty off base with these two.

Sam Neil is consistently awesome, and Ray Liotta is great at playing Ray Liotta in every movie.

Also, best shitty line in a shitty movie ever.

I think you're pretty off base with these two.

Sam Neil is consistently awesome, and Ray Liotta is great at playing Ray Liotta in every movie.

Liotta is a great actor, no doubt. But he makes about 5 or 6 movies a year for the last 20 years and I can only name 1 of his characters, he is a one-hit-wonder IMO, he has had no other acclaimed roles since Goodfellas

-Anybody from the twilight series imo.
-James Van Der Beek and Mrs. Tom Cruise

Liotta is a great actor, no doubt. But he makes about 5 or 6 movies a year for the last 20 years and I can only name 1 of his characters, he is a one-hit-wonder IMO, he has had no other acclaimed roles since Goodfellas

Watch Blow.

Michael Biehn from Terminator.

Biehn plays minor but badass roles:

Tombstone - I think one of the bad guys.
Navy Seals - Navy SEAL
The Rock - Navy SEAL
Abyss - I think also a SEAL
Aliens - Marine.

I thought he'd have major roles.

Biehn plays minor but badass roles:

Tombstone - I think one of the bad guys.
Navy Seals - Navy SEAL
The Rock - Navy SEAL
Abyss - I think also a SEAL
Aliens - Marine.

I thought he'd have major roles.

Biehn isn't much of an actor, but he got attached to some good, and a couple great movies.

Terminator
Aliens
Terminator 2 (Deleted Scenes)
Tombstone
The Rock
Abyss isn't bad.

btw, I thought Liotta was very good in Control.

Back