PBP ONE Championship EMPOWER, Fri. Sep. 3, 7:30 AM ET/4:30 AM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Wow, I missed a big pbp thread. I was watching and listening to a fight companion on YouTube. Missed most of stamp vs Rassohyna because of work.
Mei Yamaguchi might be losing it. Lost to two unknowns in a row.
Skipped the MT and KB fights for work. Will watch later.
Bad fight IQ by Anderson
Bad fight IQ by Meng Bo as well. Gave that fight away after the first round. Two one trick ponies move on.
Stamp and Rassohyna show that they are just that close. I don’t regret picking Rassohyna.
Filipino fans mad but hurt over Denice losing. Ham continues on. :D
Xiong made that look way easier than I expected her to. I figured she’d have to survive on the ground the first few rounds, then take over when Nicolini inevitably ran out of gas. Wasn’t necessary.

Good night of fights. Disappointed with lack of finishes, but that happens for the men often enough, as well.

This is going to be highest level of WMMA and kickboxing. Most are better than average UFC WMMA fighters. Let's go!!!
I wouldn’t say that. It’s easy to look great when given favorable matchups.
These commentators do not want the Japanese lady to lose do they…
No. She’s one of the four homegrown ONE fighters that they’ve been pushing relentlessly. Michael Schiavello took part in a preview stream the other night, and each of his predictions were as predicatable as the sun rise. Picked all 4 of the homegrown fighters to win. Also said Stamp absolutely dominated every second of the first fight with Rassohyna. Shilliest of shills.
I used to hate Mitch...

Then i really liked him, because nobody is excited about some random prelim fight, than him...

Now...back and forth on him...
I run hot and cold on Mitch. Schiavello, though? Too much shilling, towing the company line, and relying on the same tired catch phrases
So, ONE did a 7+hours pre fight show???

It was nothing but replays of old fights.
ONE hates Zamboanga.

She politely asked for a shot at a vacated belt while Angela Lee went to have a baby - and Chatri wrote an entire FB essay shitting all over her
I wouldn’t say they hate her. Almost the polar opposite. She was one of the top 3 most promoted fighters ahead of this event, the other two being Hirata and Phogat. Of course he came to Angela’s defense. ONe is balls deep in the Lee family.
37434E9E-BBA3-4060-B829-C00D1239F111.jpeg
Angela’s baby is probably secret;y Chatri’s.
Nan has a serious scary attitude.
I’ve never seen her show emotion before today. In the post fight press conference, she started crying while answering a really emotional question.

ONE specifically put all the womens stuff on 1 event so people had an easier time avoiding it. It's segregation disguised as a showcase, this card will do markedly less than their average.

Online voting will begin after the final quarterfinal matchup at ONE: Empower and close on 10 September. We will announce the semifinal matchups at ONE: Revolution on 24 September.

Itsuki Hirata vs Ritu Phogat
Stamp vs Seo Hee Ham
Itsuki Hirata vs Seo Hee Ham
Ritu Phogat vs Stamp
Ritu Phogat vs Seo Hee Ham
Itsuki Hirata vs Stamp

https://www.onefc.com/vote/

I thought Denice won, but ONE changing the result would be really bad for the sport. Filipino fans are super nationalistic, my Filipino friends all thought Pacquiao beat Floyd, so you can't just look at your tweet getting ratioed and think "well I guess we have to change the outcome of this fight".

ONE keeps doing this shit to please their stars. Petrosyan, Alvarez, Mitch Chilson back in the days etc. They really need to stop with this thing.

I thought Denice won, but ONE changing the result would be really bad for the sport. Filipino fans are super nationalistic, my Filipino friends all thought Pacquiao beat Floyd, so you can't just look at your tweet getting ratioed and think "well I guess we have to change the outcome of this fight".

ONE keeps doing this shit to please their stars. Petrosyan, Alvarez, Mitch Chilson back in the days etc. They really need to stop with this thing.
Exactly its a bad look. Why doesn't chatri just judge every fight if he doesn't trust the judges. Fighting shouldn't be a popularity contest.

Yeah, One will lose me as a viewer if they change the outcome of that fight.

Mitch Chilson was a star for them? I know he's the color guy now but I've googled him several times before and always got the impression he was just an Evolve MMA guy who's become a hanger on which has gotten him the color job.

FWIW I think him and Schiavello do a good job which isn't a universal opinion by any means.

Mitch Chilson was a star for them? I know he's the color guy now but I've googled him several times before and always got the impression he was just an Evolve MMA guy who's become a hanger on which has gotten him the color job.

FWIW I think him and Schiavello do a good job which isn't a universal opinion by any means.

I was there when ONE launched the very first event. Back then in 2011-2012 ONE was basically just a local Singapore MMA promotion
to promote Evolve MMA guys. They train fighters in Singapore to show that the talents from Singapore (cough...Evolve MMA) are legit. Nowadays we think of fighters training out of Asia to be normal, but the OGs here could remember how poorly fighters training out of Asia in the late 2000s to early 2010s were doing.

So Mitch Chilson being the homegrown talent that came from the US but chose to train at Evolve MMA in Singapore was very popular back then. 'Star' is probably too much, because ONE had no star, not until the Lee siblings. This is why Chatri loves them more than Dana White loves Conor.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this self-inflicted brouhaha. I scored it for Denice but don't feel they should overturn the decision. Thinking of a way out because I enjoy watching ONE and am also interested in conflict resolution.

Perhaps an available option would be to announce that you've reviewed the fight and - while reasonable minds can disagree - the judges' decision was not egregious enough to overturn. Also say that Denice has the title shot after the winner of the grand prix has a shot at Angela Lee.

Anyone care to suggest other possible scenarios that might make sense?

It'll be interesting to see how they handle this self-inflicted brouhaha. I scored it for Denice but don't feel they should overturn the decision. Thinking of a way out because I enjoy watching ONE and am also interested in conflict resolution.

Perhaps an available option would be to announce that you've reviewed the fight and - while reasonable minds can disagree - the judges' decision was not egregious enough to overturn. Also say that Denice has the title shot after the winner of the grand prix has a shot at Angela Lee.

Anyone care to suggest other possible scenarios that might make sense?
Chatri already said before the event that Denice is gonna get a shot at Angela no matter what. The storyline is too good to pass up on it.But hurt filipino fans need to get over it. to quote Ham at the post fight presser "go study the rules"

Reactions: Gio
Good night of fights. Disappointed with lack of finishes, but that happens for the men often enough, as well.
Never understood this. The Stamp/Rassohyna and Phogat/Bo fights were amazing. Finishes are overrated.

Never understood this. The Stamp/Rassohyna and Phogat/Bo fights were amazing. Finishes are overrated.
Yeah they were great fights. Both winners fought back from adversity. Stamp was nearly submitted, used her improved grappling to escape and eventually reestablished control. Phogat looked close to being finished by tko in round one and kept scrapping hard to ensure the victory.

ONE Championship decides NOT to overturn Seo Hee Ham vs Denice Zamboanga result

Seo Hee Ham remains a winner inside the ONE Championship circle despite a post-fight review.

ONE: Empower took place last Friday and featured the highly anticipated eight-woman world atomweight Grand Prix. Among the contestants was promotional newcomer, UFC veteran and former RIZIN super atomweight champion, Seo Hee Ham (24-8).

The seasoned 32-fight competitor in Korea’s Ham came in off the longest layoff of her career — her previous fight being when she won the RIZIN crown in her trilogy with Ayaka Hamasaki. The Philippines’ previously unbeaten Denice Zamboanga welcomed Ham to ONE but couldn’t get the job done as Ham took home the ever-close split decision nod.

Due to the outcry from fans along with Zamboanga and her team, ONE Championship felt prompted to review the decision. Thankfully for the multi-time MMA champion Ham, ONE’s competition committee upheld the result of the fight.

https://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/one-...rturn-seo-hee-ham-vs-denice-zamboanga-result/

Back