one arm snatches

Madmick said:
You need better forearm flexibility. I remember when I started going heavy again (>5 reps) on the cleans, it hurt my forearms for about a month. I stretched nearly every day, but I learned it was really helpful to pyramid down, even though flat sets are proven to be better for increasing max strength.

You also might not be catching the bar high enough on your fingers. One of the problems I notice in guys new to the lift is that they don't like the stretch the weight forces on their forearms (because they lack flexibility) and catch the bar in their palms, sometimes very low in the palm, and this rests the weight directly on the wrist. Since the joint is more static than your muscle, this bears all the weight on the wrist, and our wrists aren't designed to sustain 250 pounds.

I realise my forearms are not flexible enough, it's a case of being disciplined enough, or even inclined, to change that.

You made a good point about resting the BB on the fingers and not the palms though, I'm having a few days rest and then I will try it out with very light weight to see if I can get it working a bit better.

As for DB snatches, I said earlier I like them, and feel they're an explosive exercise I can do at home, whereas my BBs/plates aren't made for proper olympic lifting. For 4-6 weeks I will be building base strength up again, twice a week, deadlifts one day, front squat or overhead squat the other. Do you think if I replaced one of those exercises (probably deadlifts?) with DB snatch for the next cycle, the combination of one squat variant, and DB snatch, would be sufficient for my posterior chain work?

yeah....i mean, i dont know how you are DB snatching 100lbs over your head first of all. cause if you can snatch 135 on the bar you shouldnt be able to throw up 100lbs in SA DB snatches. Secondly, if you CAN throw up 100lbs, then this would be the only logical way to do it....You can try pulling it up but your form would be horrible and the chances of you fucking up your shoulder are drastically raised. Obviously there will be a little bend in the arm cause you are throwing it up....but just make sure you get under it quick cause its the only way you'll get it up.

My form sounds exactly like that. Straight arm, dumbbell starts on floor between my legs, I basically explode straight up and fully extend legs/calves/jump then my shoulder, back etc contract and I tuck underneath the dumbbell and its up at full height.

The only thing that might be a bit different is that my arm is bent a bit during the initial pull. More like a clean pull from floor into a snatch catch if that makes any sense.

My shoulders feel great. That being said I can press 100lb dumbbells easily so the weight is pretty trivial for them.

My issue with the barbell snatch and even moreso with the barbell clean and jerk is the catch. I am gun shy of jumping under the bar for some reason. That subcounscious hesitation fucks with my form and prevents me from going hard. If I'm on I can snatch 135 easily because I actually go hard but normally I hesitate on the two oly lifts and that hesitation seems to prevent any kind of big weights.

For some reason, I always feel on with DB snatches and I feel like I can push my limits safely. Dunno, its wierd.

johnnydussimo said:
I realise my forearms are not flexible enough, it's a case of being disciplined enough, or even inclined, to change that.

You made a good point about resting the BB on the fingers and not the palms though, I'm having a few days rest and then I will try it out with very light weight to see if I can get it working a bit better.

As for DB snatches, I said earlier I like them, and feel they're an explosive exercise I can do at home, whereas my BBs/plates aren't made for proper olympic lifting. For 4-6 weeks I will be building base strength up again, twice a week, deadlifts one day, front squat or overhead squat the other. Do you think if I replaced one of those exercises (probably deadlifts?) with DB snatch for the next cycle, the combination of one squat variant, and DB snatch, would be sufficient for my posterior chain work?

Do you do DB C&J? I don't think I saw you mention that.

I did some one arm snatches just to experiment. Did 'em right after hang cleans. Next day I was SORE out of my mind!!

I love snatches. I do them with kettlebells.

Frank Shamrock stated in an interview the following regarding one arm dumbbell snatches: "It builds explosiveness from your toes up and that is really where we are starting from in MMA. Everything starts from the toes and extends to the point of the hands. It is more of a continuity thing, if you can get your body to go rip and blow that energy up, you can focus that energy in other places. Your body will remember that and be strong through that motion."

Back