one arm snatches

Noskill

Created Monkey
Reaction score
Are one arm snatches really useful to develop explosiveness in the legs and core? Or do they only carryover to being better at doing one arm snatches? Are they more useful than BB high pulls? Anybody got noticeable results with them in terms of explosiveness, and if yes, which ones? And finally, what about those with kettlebells, they seem like bullshit to me.

Just stick to the normal shit, there is a reason everybody does the same thing in this case, it works real well.

i have tried them before and can't say that i was overly impressed. They could be good for mixxing it up or getting some extra back work in but i wouldn't make them a main lift or a focus in your training.

if you want to get more explosive train basic exercisses more explosivly.

yeah, I kno that Carnal, I'm not thinking about implementing them now, but maybe during Judo 'season'. Just wondering if they are any good.
In judo we always have to forcefully twist the body to one side, and aside from hitting a tire with my sledges ( which I can't do, I live in an appartment and my neighbours would call the cops or shit like that)) , I can't see anything else that would train this particular aspect.

I like snatches. everytime I feel stressed out I go out back, load up the bar with 90+% of my max and snatch it for singles until I feel better. Oddly enough this process can take upwards of 20 sets.

They're a fantastic exercise. But, they're very tricky to learn (mine are actually closer to power snatches than full snatches). The DB variant is much easier to learn, has a lower risk of injury (since the weight can now move in four directions instead of only two), and is perhaps just as good as the BB version for developing explosiveness in tripple extension exercsies for athletes. however, I can BB snatch 145 and only DB snatch 90, so there will be a reduced load. Since you have to keep both sides equal however, there will be an increase in volume. I can't tell whether this will work out better for you or not (I'm certain it varies from person to person), but it may be worth tossing into your routine for fun every now and then.

KB snatches are actually quite fun. The offset load requires much more of your core and maneuvering underneath the KB requires more athleticism than a DB. When you try it, you'll understand. I do not, however, beleive they are justified in charging what they do for kettlebells. as such, I encourage you to make one of your own or buy and adjustable one.

one more thought. I tossed out the term "triple extension." This is the extension of your hips, ankles and knees, and in oly lifts it's explosive. Other explosive tripple extension exercises: Pushing a car, dragging a sled, and hill sprints with a sandbag, all of which are much easier to do and have much lower risks of injury.

So I guess my opinion is I think snatches are fun, and if you enjoy doing them, tacking them onto your routine once a week or something (or whenever you're stressed) won't hurt. But if you're looking for an explosive triple extension exercises, there are safer alternatives with an easier learning curve (though I'll admit the DB snatch is pretty easy to learn).

Noskill said:
yeah, I kno that Carnal, I'm not thinking about implementing them now, but maybe during Judo 'season'. Just wondering if they are any good.
In judo we always have to forcefully twist the body to one side, and aside from hitting a tire with my sledges ( which I can't do, I live in an appartment and my neighbours would call the cops or shit like that)) , I can't see anything else that would train this particular aspect.

You could try twisting deadlifts. set a db down on the outside of your left foot, deadlift it with your left hand and place it on the outside of your right foot. Of course this should be considered a supplement to regular deads and not a replacement. And fence tosses with a sandbag are a great way to gain some good GPP for throws and twisting motions.

thanks man, no matter what some people say, you know your stuff.

Single arm dumbbell snatches utterly destroy my back....I am talking about snatching a dumbbell off the ground with one arm behind your back from the squatting position. I love doing them....a regular in my routine.

I've been doing them, kinda, as a finisher to my oly day.

I am probably doing them wrong but I can get 100lbs locked out overhead and held stable very easily for sets of 3 to 5 with either hand.

I'm guessing my max is ~ 120lbs.

They're a ton of fun but pretty stupid otherwise. I don't find they recruit anywhere near as much ass/hams/hips as the real snatch.

Whats really fucked up is my barbell snatch is 135. Atleast, thats the heaviest I have gone without having my form slip and my arms start to do some of the work.

Dumbbell snatches are good times and are probably good for balance and all they don't seem to work the muscles are hard as a normal snatch.

Either that or I am not being beastly enough with my regular snatch. I try to be all technical. Maybe I should goon it more. Mmm gooning.

TheNerdKing said:
I've been doing them, kinda, as a finisher to my oly day.

I am probably doing them wrong but I can get 100lbs locked out overhead and held stable very easily for sets of 3 to 5 with either hand.

I'm guessing my max is ~ 120lbs.

They're a ton of fun but pretty stupid otherwise. I don't find they recruit anywhere near as much ass/hams/hips as the real snatch.

Whats really fucked up is my barbell snatch is 135. Atleast, thats the heaviest I have gone without having my form slip and my arms start to do some of the work.

Dumbbell snatches are good times and are probably good for balance and all they don't seem to work the muscles are hard as a normal snatch.

Either that or I am not being beastly enough with my regular snatch. I try to be all technical. Maybe I should goon it more. Mmm gooning.

I would say you are doing them wrong. I personally wouldnt try to DB snatch anything in the 3-5 rep range....especially at the end of my workout. You are asking for a rotator cuff tear. Go alot lighter and snatch with a straight arm with the weight between your legs. Start with a low squat stance, grab the DB with a straight arm and throw it up. You should move out of your squat stance maybe 3 inches from where you started.

BAS_FAN said:
I would say you are doing them wrong. I personally wouldnt try to DB snatch anything in the 3-5 rep range....especially at the end of my workout. You are asking for a rotator cuff tear. Go alot lighter and snatch with a straight arm with the weight between your legs. Start with a low squat stance, grab the DB with a straight arm and throw it up. You should move out of your squat stance maybe 3 inches from where you started.

So keep a straight arm instead of pulling the db up to lockout?

Keep it straight throughout the movement, like a "power front raise" to catch.

yeah....i mean, i dont know how you are DB snatching 100lbs over your head first of all. cause if you can snatch 135 on the bar you shouldnt be able to throw up 100lbs in SA DB snatches. Secondly, if you CAN throw up 100lbs, then this would be the only logical way to do it....You can try pulling it up but your form would be horrible and the chances of you fucking up your shoulder are drastically raised. Obviously there will be a little bend in the arm cause you are throwing it up....but just make sure you get under it quick cause its the only way you'll get it up.

BAS_FAN said:
yeah....i mean, i dont know how you are DB snatching 100lbs over your head first of all. cause if you can snatch 135 on the bar you shouldnt be able to throw up 100lbs in SA DB snatches. Secondly, if you CAN throw up 100lbs, then this would be the only logical way to do it....You can try pulling it up but your form would be horrible and the chances of you fucking up your shoulder are drastically raised. Obviously there will be a little bend in the arm cause you are throwing it up....but just make sure you get under it quick cause its the only way you'll get it up.

The barbell version is a lot more complicated and difficult to perform compared to the one armed version. This may be why there isn't much of a difference in his weights.

Why not clean and jerk? What is the advantage of the snatch for a mixed martial artist over the barbell C&J?

DB snatch is easier to learn and far harder to hurt yourself with - it's a lot easier to bail out on a DB.

I've done DB snatch a bit and quite liked it.

I've done cleans a bit, and my wrists really didn't like them. I can't rotate my wrists back to rest the bar on my shoulders.

I haven't even tried snatch

johnnydussimo said:
DB snatch is easier to learn and far harder to hurt yourself with - it's a lot easier to bail out on a DB.

I've done DB snatch a bit and quite liked it.

I've done cleans a bit, and my wrists really didn't like them. I can't rotate my wrists back to rest the bar on my shoulders.

I haven't even tried snatch

You need better forearm flexibility. I remember when I started going heavy again (>5 reps) on the cleans, it hurt my forearms for about a month. I stretched nearly every day, but I learned it was really helpful to pyramid down, even though flat sets are proven to be better for increasing max strength.

You also might not be catching the bar high enough on your fingers. One of the problems I notice in guys new to the lift is that they don't like the stretch the weight forces on their forearms (because they lack flexibility) and catch the bar in their palms, sometimes very low in the palm, and this rests the weight directly on the wrist. Since the joint is more static than your muscle, this bears all the weight on the wrist, and our wrists aren't designed to sustain 250 pounds.

I asked specifically about one arm snatch over regular snatch because the one arm snatch also involves some bending /rotation of the core done explosively in reason of the uneven load. That seemed pretty useful for judo. Tudor Bompa said that regular oly lifts aren't best for Judo, and I see why he says that: you'll never have to pull straight back or up in judo, but always more with one arm, while twisting the trunk. That's why I asked about the one arm variation.

Even though the standard powerlifts have a very clear and important role to play in a fighter's weightlifting routine, in terms of developing raw power/speed with regard to throwing actions, single arm dumbell snatches are far more specific than benching, squatting and deadlifting.

Despite what some may argue, benching, squatting and deadlifting are inherently slower movements. The evidence is very clear in the matter, given that it has been shown that barbell snatches recruit a higher number of motor units and fast twitch muscle fibers than the standard powerlifts.

It is my opinion that the single arm snatch is superior to the barbell snatch in terms of providing a specific value to a fighter for various reasons, which I don

Even experienced Oly lifters who tout the benefits of their "explosiveness" will tell you that the one armed power variants just dont' do the same thing for an athlete though Entropy.

In terms of providing a direct improvement to their major lifts, I

Back