On regret

It all sounds good and noble on paper. Its the point before your deathbed where you cant play with your grandchildren or bring in the groceries, etc where you might regret pushing so hard as a young man. The muscles will be gone and you'll look back and realize you never needed them in the first place. But hey, do you.

Lifting and getting stronger now means you're more likely to be able to play with your grandchildren and bring in groceries when you're old (if you train smart).

And there's no reason for the muscles to be gone.

I REGRET the 30 minutes of my life I've just wasted reading this then trying to understand why you would so overthink such a trivial matter.

I think they have programs to help individuals like yourself with your reading disability.

The cliff notes
-you wasted the past 7 years cause you didn't get on the stratosphere
-you are going to go after some implied goal so hardcore that you will be crippled so you won't feel regret and beat yourself up

The 7 wasted years are not the years since i didn't go on the stratosphere :) It's actually only been three years since i was in Vegas. And I'll get it next time - the point is that my memory from that trip is sullied by regret. A small regret makes a big difference, is the point.

My implied goal is not hardcore at all - the point is I feel that achievement now might be better than health later if i have to make a choice.

Lifting and getting stronger now means you're more likely to be able to play with your grandchildren and bring in groceries when you're old (if you train smart).

And there's no reason for the muscles to be gone.

Hes under the assumption that training extremely hard year round from now until he is no longer able would be detrimental to his health when he can no longer lift....I would agree. Most serious athletes agree that they are trading future health for perfromance in the time being.

How old do you think you can work out for exactly? Doing dl's at 70? Benching 3 bills at 60? You're lucky if you're doing laps in the pool or walking a mile a day at that age. The muscle will be gone eventually.

"Daddy, what does regret mean?"
"Well son, the funny thing about regret is, it's always better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done."

If you know where that's from without googling, you are probably old like me.

I liked this. This general thought process has run through my mind lately when I am trying to decide whether or not to do something.

Although I don't think all dictionaries make such a distinction, I've always considered regret to refer to things that you didn't do but wish you had whereas remorse applies to things that you did do but wish you didn't.

Given that definition, regret seems more often to be the more bitter pill to swallow. At least remorse comes with the opportunity to learn from mistakes. Regret has no saving grace whatsoever.

Hes under the assumption that training extremely hard year round from now until he is no longer able would be detrimental to his health when he can no longer lift....I would agree. Most serious athletes agree that they are trading future health for perfromance in the time being.

How old do you think you can work out for exactly? Doing dl's at 70? Benching 3 bills at 60? You're lucky if you're doing laps in the pool or walking a mile a day at that age. The muscle will be gone eventually.

You seriously think that the only benefit from lifting weights is muscle? And your nebulous use of the term "work out" is reductionist, at the very least.

The TS's friend seems to have rationally assessed his motivations and chose a path with the lowest probability of regret. The rest of the OP seems to be the TS imagining how he would feel blindly making the same decision, and then assigning that feeling to the friend.

I don't see where the regret comes into play.

Depends what you mean by "serious athlete". It is true that high level athletes in sports like football and boxing often do pay the price in terms of health years later. But that has more to do with the stresses of the sport itself rather than the training. And athletes in most sports have longer life expectancies than that of the general population.

Besides which, the topic is training hard, not training for any specific sport.

Even the oldest of senior citzens can benefit from strength training (although the strength training would be different for someone who's very elderly than for someone's who's 24, 55 or whatever). Numerous studies have supported this, and shown increased independence, mobility, and decreased likelyhood of falls for seniors.

Furthermore, as mentioned in my previous post, my Grandfather is 77, is still capable of walking several miles easily (and fast) while carrying groceries and/or books, can chop wood, do carpentry, can still run (though he's not a runner), and has a grip that's still stronger than my own. And the muscle is certainly not gone. And this is despite being a diabetic, celiac, lactose intolerant, and having hypothyroidism. My great Uncle, who's 90, golfs regularly, and walks the full course. So the idea that you're lucky to be able to walk a mile or swim some laps at 60 or 70 is complete BS. For more examples read this: http://rosstraining.com/blog/category/the-blog/age-related/ *note, in this link is a video of a man, at 70, deadlifting 650lbs.

Can we all age so well? Probably not...undoubtedly there's genetic factors or lifestyle factors that we have no control over, or injuries that aren't preventable, and can't be fully recovered from. But that doesn't mean you don't even try, or that you quit when you reach a snag.

Furthermore, the loss of muscle is only accelerated by not lifting weights and training hard, and can be slowed or reversed through lifting, especially heavy lifts, as it's the muscle fibers with the higher recruitment thresholds that are predominantly lost with age.

Lastly...why not read about the matter, instead of laboring under preconceptions that stem from (1) people making excuses and assumptions, and (2) the old incorrect school of thought which viewed that rest, and taking it easy was the best way to treat various chronic problems/diseases like cardiovascular disease, back problems etc.

Depends what you mean by "serious athlete". It is true that high level athletes in sports like football and boxing often do pay the price in terms of health years later. But that has more to do with the stresses of the sport itself rather than the training. And athletes in most sports have longer life expectancies than that of the general population.

Besides which, the topic is training hard, not training for any specific sport.

Even the oldest of senior citzens can benefit from strength training (although the strength training would be different for someone who's very elderly than for someone's who's 24, 55 or whatever). Numerous studies have supported this, and shown increased independence, mobility, and decreased likelyhood of falls for seniors.

Furthermore, as mentioned in my previous post, my Grandfather is 77, is still capable of walking several miles easily (and fast) while carrying groceries and/or books, can chop wood, do carpentry, can still run (though he's not a runner), and has a grip that's still stronger than my own. And the muscle is certainly not gone. And this is despite being a diabetic, celiac, lactose intolerant, and having hypothyroidism. My great Uncle, who's 90, golfs regularly, and walks the full course. So the idea that you're lucky to be able to walk a mile or swim some laps at 60 or 70 is complete BS. For more examples read this: http://rosstraining.com/blog/category/the-blog/age-related/ *note, in this link is a video of a man, at 70, deadlifting 650lbs.

Can we all age so well? Probably not...undoubtedly there's genetic factors or lifestyle factors that we have no control over, or injuries that aren't preventable, and can't be fully recovered from. But that doesn't mean you don't even try, or that you quit when you reach a snag.

Furthermore, the loss of muscle is only accelerated by not lifting weights and training hard, and can be slowed or reversed through lifting, especially heavy lifts, as it's the muscle fibers with the higher recruitment thresholds that are predominantly lost with age.

Lastly...why not read about the matter, instead of laboring under preconceptions that stem from (1) people making excuses and assumptions, and (2) the old incorrect school of thought which viewed that rest, and taking it easy was the best way to treat various chronic problems/diseases like cardiovascular disease, back problems etc.

I foresaw this response so almost didnt bother...I guess we'll agree to disagree. I happen to think when you are old you wont be doing dl's or squats. 95% of you wont be doing them when you are 50 let alone 80 so if you are pushing your body to extreme limits at 20 you are taking a risk....and unless you make a living doing so you are better off just being "fit"....yeh I know this word is sacrelige in here but thats my opinion. I have spent an absurd amount of time playing basketball, football and working out heavy in my life. Im 28 and I have pains in every joint. My brother is 35, never played sports and feels great.

How old do you think you can work out for exactly?

A long fucking time. I saw a man in his 80's competing in the USAPL Raw Nationals a couple months ago.

Doing dl's at 70?

Benching 3 bills at 60?

You're lucky if you're doing laps in the pool or walking a mile a day at that age. The muscle will be gone eventually.

You really should quit while you're ahead.

Too late, on second thought, quit before you dig yourself any deeper.

ON TOPIC: TS, good read, thanks for posting. I see this not as a specific whining story like so many are acting like but as a good reminder to go for your goals and not let little things dissuade you.

Wow, you proved your point. Becuase there are a handfull of people doing it(the .01%) that I already mentioned it means you will be too.

Maybe old people should do P90X. It worked for OJ, right?

Wow, you proved your point. Becuase there are a handfull of people doing it(the .01%) that I already mentioned it means you will be too.

And yet somehow your own experiences are statistically signifcant?

But what is statistically signifcant is that (1) People who are stronger and in better cardiovascular shape are more likely to be in good health and physically independent/fit in the future, and (2) Even the very elderly have been shown to benefit from strength training, resulting in greater independence, ability to do other trasks, and decreased risk of falls and other injuries.

I have spent an absurd amount of time playing basketball, football and working out heavy in my life. Im 28 and I have pains in every joint. My brother is 35, never played sports and feels great.

My great-grandma smoked like a chimney for most of her life and finally died of emphysema at the age of 96. My brother in law didn't smoke and rarely drank and died in his sleep @ 20. Guess I better pick up some smokes. :icon_neut
Your arguments are based on nothing. Tosa has already thrown the facts in your face. As if your screen name wasn't proof enough that you're an idiot, every post you make drives the point home.

So you are doing to fuck your body up? Why do you think you will need painkillers to walk up stairs? I don't understand this post.

I did a triathlon today and it took me about an hour and a half. Before a race, they write your age on your calf in permanent marker. About halfway through the bike stage, a guy blows by me and I see "68" written on his calf. I never saw him again, and he probably started 3-6 min after I did.

I've been passed by several men in their 60's and 70's in prior races (even a woman in her late 60's during my first race, but I was on a mtn bike:redface:). I think you need to adjust your expectations a bit, Sally.

I have spent an absurd amount of time playing basketball, football and working out heavy in my life. Im 28 and I have pains in every joint.

On the flipside of that coin, I used to have chronic, debilitating sacro-iliac joint pain and sciatica. To cut a long story short, Front Squats solved this problem 100%. Before that I tried various stretches and calisthenic exercises-everything from hindu squats to pistols. The pistols helped a great deal, but the pain still flared up 2-3 times a week. After Front Squats...no pain whatsoever!!! And that's been the case for over a year now.

I'm sure that there are some lifters out there who 'mortgaged tomorrow for today,' ignoring steadily worsening joint pain in the pursuit of PRs. But most sane lifters-like the ones that post on this forum-would not ignore injuries and joint pain; they'd resolve the issues by improving their technique, resolving muscle imbalances etc, and continue to lift heavy AND safely well into old age...

Back