On regret

This is from your original post TS:

I'll have sore knees - squats and leg locks will destroy them. I will have a broken nose and cauliflower ears. I will have a fucked back and pain in every joint. My friend will still be able to walk up stairs and bend down to tie his shoes, and won't have to stuff himself with painkillers to get up in the morning. But on his deathbed, he will not think of everything bad he did - he will think about everything he never got around to doing. And as an atheist I don't think he gets to do it all over.

Even at 28, regret is worse than pain. I think I'm far-sighted when I decide that it's going to have to be worth the pain.

You describe pretty clearly what you think lies ahead for you as a result of your training. You specifically mention your knees suffering from squats.

I was agreeing with you that certain types of training habits will be detrimental to you when you get older...thats all.

Obviously you can do what ever the fuck you want....but Im 28....I no longer play sports but I've logged more hours on a field, a court, or in a weight room than anyone I know. Ive discussed it many times before that Im doing p90x now cause thats what I think works best for me. My joints do hurt from playing running back and getting smashed 30 times a game and everyday in practice. I've sprained ankles a dozen times, broke my foot, separated my shoulder, just finished physical therapy for my knee...etc.
I feel 10 times better now in my tenth or so week of p90 than I have doing my old routine...the squats and deads were detrimental to my knees...and no its not cause of form...I dont care what some boob says in some article cause Ive witnessed it myself.

Now just a year ago I wouldnt be caught dead doing a workout video. But my "goals" have changed.

^^^ Thank you for sharing your experience - it's a valuable one, and everyone has to decide for themselves how much pain they are willing to go through in life. Don't you ever think of all the games you've won and all the weight you've hoisted up from the ground?

Here is where the problem lies Johnnie Cochran. This is what you said:

I foresaw this response so almost didnt bother...I guess we'll agree to disagree. I happen to think when you are old you wont be doing dl's or squats. 95% of you wont be doing them when you are 50 let alone 80 so if you are pushing your body to extreme limits at 20 you are taking a risk....and unless you make a living doing so you are better off just being "fit"....yeh I know this word is sacrelige in here but thats my opinion. I have spent an absurd amount of time playing basketball, football and working out heavy in my life. Im 28 and I have pains in every joint. My brother is 35, never played sports and feels great.

The above post is littered with so many fallacies that it's comical. Let's break it down piece by piece:

I happen to think when you are old you wont be doing dl's or squats. 95% of you wont be doing them when you are 50 let alone 80

I highly doubt people that play football, people that skateboard, people that ski, people that play pick up games of baskeball, people that play rugby, etc. will be doing it at 50 or 80. I highly doubt that you will be doing P90x at 50 or 80. What is your point? We shouldn't do anything that we can't continue throughout life? Are you going to continue partying and popping pills like you do now when you are 50 or 80? Well maybe you'll be popping the pills, but at least they'll be prescribed to you.

so if you are pushing your body to extreme limits at 20 you are taking a risk

I guess all of those people out there running 5ks, doing ironman challenges, or trying to be athletes are idiots. Isn't P90x supposed to be pushing your body to the Xtreme? You should probably stick to sitting on a computer blabbering about how much your job sucks and how you are at a crossroads in your life rather than pushing your body to the Xtreme with P90x.

and unless you make a living doing so you are better off just being "fit"

Are you making an assumption that people who lift max effort are not fit? You constantly make the assumption that conditioning, GPP, and lifting are mutually exclusive. I lift max effort and many others lift max effort that are perfectly fit.

yeh I know this word is sacrelige in here but thats my opinion. I have spent an absurd amount of time playing basketball, football and working out heavy in my life. Im 28 and I have pains in every joint.

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

My brother is 35, never played sports and feels great.

What a conclusion! Someone who never really put up heavy #'s concluding that he feels like shit at 28 while his brother feels good at an age where most people should feel good. Way to prove that putting up heavy #'s is detrimental and working out to be "fit" is the way to go. Awesome job Johnnie!

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky.

You can always fix yourself later.

I personally look forward to pain in every joint so the doctors can do a Frankenstein on me like they did Triple H.

^^^ Thank you for sharing your experience - it's a valuable one, and everyone has to decide for themselves how much pain they are willing to go through in life. Don't you ever think of all the games you've won and all the weight you've hoisted up from the ground?

Sure...I dont even have any regrets to be honest. Any pain I have is manageable, pretty mild actually, but it has definitely decreased since stopping lifting the way I used to.

TS(you?) assumes he will be a virtual cripple if he continues on his path and I was just throwing the idea out there that it may be shortsighted and the risk may not be worth the reward. You get one body and you gotta take care of it...if you are a pro athlete or aspire to be one that is totally different. Those guys are set for life(hopefully) for the sacrifices they make...others still have to work for a living.

Here is where the problem lies Johnnie Cochran. This is what you said:

The above post is littered with so many fallacies that it's comical. Let's break it down piece by piece:

I highly doubt people that play football, people that skateboard, people that ski, people that play pick up games of baskeball, people that play rugby, etc. will be doing it at 50 or 80. I highly doubt that you will be doing P90x at 50 or 80. What is your point? We shouldn't do anything that we can't continue throughout life? Are you going to continue partying and popping pills like you do now when you are 50 or 80? Well maybe you'll be popping the pills, but at least they'll be prescribed to you.

I guess all of those people out there running 5ks, doing ironman challenges, or trying to be athletes are idiots. Isn't P90x supposed to be pushing your body to the Xtreme? You should probably stick to sitting on a computer blabbering about how much your job sucks and how you are at a crossroads in your life rather than pushing your body to the Xtreme with P90x.

Are you making an assumption that people who lift max effort are not fit? You constantly make the assumption that conditioning, GPP, and lifting are mutually exclusive. I lift max effort and many others lift max effort that are perfectly fit.

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

What a conclusion! Someone who never really put up heavy #'s concluding that he feels like shit at 28 while his brother feels good at an age where most people should feel good. Way to prove that putting up heavy #'s is detrimental and working out to be "fit" is the way to go. Awesome job Johnnie!

LOL...mixed with shock....at how extremely butthurt you are. You put so much effort into trying to prove me wrong and yet come up with such a cluster of idiocy..you mention johnny cochran but you couldnt argue your way out of a wet paper bag.

We both know that all this effort and bitterness comes from the p90x debates that you so despise and yet are so eager to post in. Im not sure if P90x abused you as a child, raped your mom, or what but it makes you so angry that it'd be hilarious if it wasnt so sad. Get a life and quit e-stalking me cause I dont give a shit enough about you to go filter thru your posts for my rebuttle. Just pretend im not in threads cause thats what I try to do with you.

TS is using hyperbole in his original post. He is not going to have a fucked back and knees from lifting weights normally. Something like working in a coal mine or as a mechanic for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 25 years will fuck you up like that, not weight training for an hour 3-4 days a week with planned deloads, vacations, and time off. If anything he will get less achy and less prone to aches as time goes by and his connective tissue and muscles get stronger. Even the BJJ+lifting combo will not do that to him because at 28, how much time is he going to possibly be able to dedicate to it? Life is going to prevent him from being able to grapple and lift enough to do more harm than good.

Last edited:
LOL...mixed with shock....at how extremely butthurt you are. You put so much effort into trying to prove me wrong and yet come up with such a cluster of idiocy..you mention johnny cochran but you couldnt argue your way out of a wet paper bag.

We both know that all this effort and bitterness comes from the p90x debates that you so despise and yet are so eager to post in. Im not sure if P90x abused you as a child, raped your mom, or what but it makes you so angry that it'd be hilarious if it wasnt so sad. Get a life and quit e-stalking me cause I dont give a shit enough about you to go filter thru your posts for my rebuttle. Just pretend im not in threads cause thats what I try to do with you.

You are the one popping into a S+C forum when you have no real S+C goals. Why would anyone listen to you? You are someone with shit lifting numbers and shit conditioning, yet you still managed to fuck up even further by having multiple injuries from your shitty attempts at training. How can you say that lifting fucked you up when it's pretty apparent that you never did any real lifting? If you did do any heavy lifting, it's apparent you sucked at it. You should just continue to do P90x, but we don't want to hear about it. I'm sure you'll find a way to fuck that up just like you have with everything else in your life.

TS is using hyperbole in his original post. He is not going to have a fucked back and knees from lifting weights normally. Something like working in a coal mine or as a mechanic for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 25 years will fuck you up like that, not weight training for an hour 3-4 days a week with planned deloads, vacations, and time off. If anything he will get less achy and less prone to aches as time goes by and his connective tissue and muscles get stronger. Even the BJJ+lifting combo will not do that to him because at 28, how much time is he going to possibly be able to dedicate to it? Life is going to prevent him from being able to grapple and lift enough to do more harm than good.

I sure hope you are right! It should be pointed out that I do train quite a lot of BJJ, and my long-term goals are to get a job with flexible hours after graduation so that I can devote a lot of my time to BJJ for the rest of my life. But I still hope I don't get hurt! Also, several guys at my BJJ academy are 40+ and still train hard six days a week.

You are the one popping into a S+C forum when you have no real S+C goals. Why would anyone listen to you? You are someone with shit lifting numbers and shit conditioning, yet you still managed to fuck up even further by having multiple injuries from your shitty attempts at training. How can you say that lifting fucked you up when it's pretty apparent that you never did any real lifting? If you did do any heavy lifting, it's apparent you sucked at it. You should just continue to do P90x, but we don't want to hear about it. I'm sure you'll find a way to fuck that up just like you have with everything else in your life.

I had never heard of p90x until this thread so I went looking to see what it is? Taken from Wikipedia.

P90X, or Power 90 Extreme, is a home exercise system developed by Tony Horton in conjunction with Beachbody and director Mason Bendewald. It claims to improve physical fitness in 90 days through a rigorous segmented training program combined with a nutrition and dietary supplement plan.

Wow. I wonder if anyone has told them that a sedentary person can measurably improve fitness in under a week by doing a very basic program. I read a bit on their website and seen this.

All it takes is an hour a day to get in the best shape of your life. Other than everything you see on this page, all you really need is resistance bands and a place to do pull-ups. After clicking the YES button below and submitting your P90X order, you will then be offered incredible deals on resistance bands, a chin-up bar, and supplements. So just click YES below now and try P90X risk free for 90 days, and if you're not completely satisfied, simply call Customer Service to return it within 90 days for a full refund of the purchase price, less s&h, but keep the Ab Ripper X workout and 3-Phase Nutrition Plan as our gifts to you . . . Just click YES below now!

Yep. All you need is an hour a day and some of their products.

<joke: the following is tongue in cheek>
Perhaps we should start a sherdog fitness program. I vote for the name GoShred (anagram of sherdog). This exciting new program requires absolutely no equipment for beginners. All you need to do is the following exercises for 50 minutes every other day.

Ex1, Ex2, Ex3, Ex4, Ex5, Ex6, Ex7, Ex8

and withing 89 days you'll be as fit as a butchers dog. It takes less time than p90x, it requires less equipment and no supplements and you will see improvements in 89 not 90 days.

Of course if you wanted to make any cash at this we would need to sell some equipment and some supplements and vitamins.

If I was being honest I'd be selling a barbell with no weights just 45 pounds of hurt in an 8 exercise complex for 50 minutes. If the complex took you 4 minutes to complete with 2 mins rest in between that's 8 sets in 50 minutes. That could be pretty painful for 99% of the population. Of course the advanced program would involve the same complex with a 1 minute rest in between so you could get ten sets.

For the very advanced we could either vary the exercises or sell them some discs to put on the barbell.

You guys have more experience in exercise choice etc than me so please feel free to advise what the exercise choice should be with appropriate rest times for the following programs.

Beginner, body weight only.
Intermediate, body weight only.
Advanced, body weight only

Beginner, with Barbel.
Intermediate, with Barbel.
Advanced, with Barbel.

As an example of a <sarcasm>very easy and very sensible</sarcasm> body weight circuit.

Burpees x 10
Burpees x 10
Burpees x 10
Burpees x 10
Burpees x 10
Burpees x 10
Burpees x 10
Burpees x 10

and an equally sensible barbell complex,

Squat x 10
Deadlift x 10
Squat x 10
Deadlift x 10
Squat x 10
Deadlift x 10
Squat x 10
Deadlift x 10

I personally think 50 minutes doing a complex with a 45lb barbell would be a bit hardcore unless the rest times where quite large.

GoShred is your friend :D
</joke>

You've never heard of p90x? What rock do u live under? And that was total fail.

If I did P90X, I would be faced with the irresistible urge to do physical harm to myself, probably by jumping off the highest available building. Therefore, heavy lifting is much less detrimental to my health than P90X.

OJisinnocent, you should be ashamed of yourself for hawking a product that would kill me.

If I did P90X, I would be faced with the irresistible urge to do physical harm to myself, probably by jumping off the highest available building. Therefore, heavy lifting is much less detrimental to my health than P90X.

OJisinnocent, you should be ashamed of yourself for hawking a product that would kill me.

do you.

You've never heard of p90x? What rock do u live under? And that was total fail.

It's a small rock off the west coast of Europe where P90x perhaps does not have the same following.

I learned a long time ago that if someone comes up to me and offers to sell me something along with lines like

1. Get absolutely ripped in 90 days.
2. Revolutionary system.
3. Regular to ripped in just 90 days.
4. Comprehensive 3-phase nutrition plan.
5. Specially designed supplement options.
6. Secret behind the P90X system is ..... Muscle Confusion

Never heard of this before but P90x sounds like a *** tag for a pussy exercise system. What wrong with lifting, running and sparring?

Back