OMG! T-nation got something right!

yomon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok for the last year or so there has been nothing but crap flowing from the giant rectum known as T-nation.

But for the love of god they got something right finaly. I hope it's a continuing trend.

it's a complete compilation of my current training style.

here is my favorite quote:

"I've said this before in a bunch of articles. Other coaches and trainers have said this before in a bunch of their articles. Yet this remains the step that most people will ignore. Regardless of your goals, one thing is for sure: You have no freaking business using a load if you can't stabilize, control, and move efficiently using only your bodyweight!

Unless your bodyweight is way too much or way too little resistance, then there's very little room for external loading. This is not to say that external loading isn't important. Of course it is, but it has definitely been overemphasized.

Unless you can perform twenty pushups in good from, get your ass off the bench press. Too easy? The same rule applies to the single leg squat. If you can't perform 8-10 good reps, then why are you using two legs to squat with external load?"

Info fit for a god.

linkage!: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=EA0F5A9724E89824AD519655AB8C58FF.hydra?id=766996

Hey Urban i noticed your post at the bottom of the article and i've go to say that i find the pistol much more of a glute and hamstring exercise then quad. but it is what ever is weaker that you will feel i guess.

no, I feel it a mostly in my quads. Admitedly it hits my glutes and hams too, but in squating motions in addition to stabilizing you, your posterior chain works hardest to rectify the position of your upper body (a good morning type movement). so until I really learn to load up my pistols, it'll probably continue to be a quad movement.

since you're currently on a bodyweight routine, it wouldn't suprise me at all to find that you feel it in your hams and glutes since bodyweight routines are commonly unable to effectively train those areas (your lower back as well). And since, as you alluded too, you will feel it most in areas that less proportionately trained for the movement.

yeah it keeps them in check. I find the pistols keep your legs even. like before when i was coming off wieght lifting i was feeling it in my quads, then it went to glut and ham, back to quads and calves for some strange reason, then back to gult and ham. it kinda moves around as parts get stronger then each other if you now what i mean.

Why the fuck would you take a shot a T-nation? Some of the best training articles on the net are on that site.

And frankly you can take your bodyweight movements and go fuck yourself. Thats not to say I dont use bodyweight movements, I do. But they are designed to improve other movements. Let me know when doing chin ups builds you enough strength to pull 500 pounds off the floor ( at a body weight of 176 ).

I still like T-nation, think they still keep bringing good shit, but I dont think Yomon should go fuck himself like the previous poster do..;)

And actually I kind of thinks being good at chinups is more beneficial for a -fighter- then pulling 500 pounds of the floor. Both are great feats of strenght however and extremely usefull, dudes lets just do both...

Im a fan of bodyweight and weight training. T-nation has had some very good articles, specifically like Dan Johns.

True2KungFu said:
Im a fan of bodyweight and weight training. T-nation has had some very good articles, specifically like Dan Johns.

Did Urban pay you to write this? LOL! I just read Dan Johns "one Dumbell training program."

I know certain lifters with fair strength who dismiss all bodyweight movements claiming that their relevant value is quickly diminished by strength adaptations to the movement.

This approach is intellectually dishonest since the strength adaptation issue is very easily remedied by adding progressively heavier weight to the movements.

The fact is that performing max % weighted dips and pull ups improve ones bench and bent over rows as a result of the neural and biomechanical relvance inherent in each movement. If you

ENTROPY said:
I know certain lifters with fair strength who dismiss all bodyweight movements claiming that their relevant value is quickly diminished by strength adaptations to the movement.

This approach is intellectually dishonest since the strength adaptation issue is very easily remedied by adding progressively heavier weight to the movements.

The fact is that performing max % weighted dips and pull ups improve ones bench and bent over rows as a result of the neural and biomechanical relvance inherent in each movement. If you

well...yomon, you know that I'm always going to support you, and you turned me on to this method of training, and I have become WAY stronger than i was before...i started using gymnastic rings in my upper body program, using them for dips, planches, just some crazy stuff...i have increased in size and strenght since switching...BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT BODYWEIGHT IS BETTER FOR TRAINING, LOOKING BACK, IF I HAD TO CHOOSE ONE METHOD OVER THE OTHER I WOULD MOST CERTAINLY CHOOSE HEAVY WEIGHTS...my program is designed as an experiment of sorts...i have been at it for several months now and my strength to body weight ratio is way higher, but, i do add weight to the movements still (i.e. weight belt)...stick with weights if you must choose one method, bodyweight as a suppliment

Have i not mentioned before that i'm only using bodywieght exercisses to build a good gpp base before i add weights again?

well i plan to so don't se me as Matt Fury or some gay shit of the likes.

Also for those that actualy read the article you would notice that this is the point of the entire article. Build a base and continue on.

Also atleast 50% of t-nation articles are bodybuilding crap, political mind fucks or simply reviews of the bodybuilding world. I consider all this crap. waste of web space. Granted they do have some good articles here and there, but i would love to see them focus on strength sports and eliminate the bodybuilding articles. This is likly never to happen though because above all they are still a company trying to sell a porduct and why not pick the meathead bodybuilders pockets clean? :D

yomon said:
Have i not mentioned before that i'm only using bodywieght exercisses to build a good gpp base before i add weights again?

well i plan to so don't se me as Matt Fury or some gay shit of the likes.

Also for those that actualy read the article you would notice that this is the point of the entire article. Build a base and continue on.

Also atleast 50% of t-nation articles are bodybuilding crap, political mind fucks or simply reviews of the bodybuilding world. I consider all this crap. waste of web space. Granted they do have some good articles here and there, but i would love to see them focus on strength sports and eliminate the bodybuilding articles. This is likly never to happen though because above all they are still a company trying to sell a porduct and why not pick the meathead bodybuilders pockets clean? :D

oh i know, i wasn't suggesting that YOU do the bodyweight stuff like it's so awesome, i was saying that to all the matt furey wanabes out there

I'd just like to publically register my opinion that ENTROPY argues like a dumbass. Nothing personal, ENTROPY.

HULKAMANIA said:
I'd just like to publically register my opinion that ENTROPY argues like a dumbass. Nothing personal, ENTROPY.

Holy fucking irony!

Who the fuck are you, the almighty creator? What gives you the implicit right to suggest what constitutes a valuable argumentative methodology, much less how one chooses to express himself.

Oh wise one, please enlighten me so that I may know how your omnipotent and all-seeing mind prefers that I write, so that I will no longer be a victim of personally chosen expression by completely disregarding everything that does not fit within your personal criteria of expression.

Luke 6:42 (Authorized Version)
Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

ENTROPY said:
With a sentence like that brains should be the last thing you speak of.

Really? Well what do you know! External loading

Sean S said:
So by that any exercise that is considered a "body weight" exercise, regardless of extra non body weight, is still a "body weight exercise"? A push up with someone sitting on my back is still a body weight exercise?

Actually I would buy that and agree to that. An elevated pushup is more dificult than a normal one, an explosive one is to, same goes for a handstand variation and a one armed. Ading weight is just another way to make it more dificult and usefull. It sure as hell doesnt become a benchpres, no matter how much weight I throw on...;)

Back