Oldest object in your possession?

I have a Bengals Super Bowl football with all of their signatures that was given to me in 1980-1981 when they lost to the 49'ers.
Gift for a little kid that was in the process of beating cancer.

I also have an Apple Macintosh (1984) that I was given in the 90's. I use it to remind me that Apple products were lame, even back then.

'Grats on beating it. (Unless I've misread and you stole it from the kid)

I have a copy of Plato's Republic from 1942. Not sure who decided that needed to be published in the middle of WWII but they did.

Probably a couple of Incredible Hulk TV show annuals from the late '70s. And some really old photos of my grandmother as a baby.

I have books that are hundreds of years old. I collected them for a bit

If everything we know was created in the big bang, every atom has the same age. Nothing is newer or older than anything else.

Nothing interesting. I have birthday cards from friends and family all the way back to when I was 8.

This watch I got here was first purchased by my great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up till then people just carried pocket watches. It was bought by private Doughboy Ernie Coolidge on the day he set sail for Paris. It was my great-grandfather’s war watch and he wore it every day he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to my great-grandmother, took the watch off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed until My granddad, Dane Coolidge, was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. My great-grandfather gave this watch to my granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane’s luck wasn’t as good as his old man’s. Dane was a Marine and he was killed, along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. My granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, my granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he’d never seen in the flesh, his gold watch. Three days later, my granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to my grandmother, delivering to my dad, his dad’s gold watch.

This watch. This watch was on my daddy’s wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the mooks ever saw the watch it’d be confiscated, taken away. The way my dad looked at it, that watch was my birthright. He’d be damned if any slips were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy’s birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family.

This watch I got here was first purchased by my great-grandfather during the first World War. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee. Made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up till then people just carried pocket watches. It was bought by private Doughboy Ernie Coolidge on the day he set sail for Paris. It was my great-grandfather’s war watch and he wore it every day he was in that war. When he had done his duty, he went home to my great-grandmother, took the watch off, put it an old coffee can, and in that can it stayed until My granddad, Dane Coolidge, was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War II. My great-grandfather gave this watch to my granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane’s luck wasn’t as good as his old man’s. Dane was a Marine and he was killed, along with the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. My granddad was facing death, he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, my granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport name of Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he’d never seen in the flesh, his gold watch. Three days later, my granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to my grandmother, delivering to my dad, his dad’s gold watch.

This watch. This watch was on my daddy’s wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured, put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the mooks ever saw the watch it’d be confiscated, taken away. The way my dad looked at it, that watch was my birthright. He’d be damned if any slips were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy’s birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family.

Best response ever.

tumblr_oqsqgrye261qmob6ro1_400.gif
FTFY.

Inherited this real gold handbag made in 1901 along with some other long lost family treasure recently.

jwsdHuO.jpg

I have some plates that belonged to my great-great grandmother. I’m not sure how old they are. She died in 1932, and I don’t recall what year she was born. I know that her son (my great-grandfather) was born in 1874 so presumably these plates would be about the same age.

I have a couple of confederate bills.

Yea, its a long story but I was in South Dakota as a child for a bit and while I was there an Indian woman from one of the reservations gave my mother a hand made blanket for me. Now the weird thing is if you go buy a blanket at the store and get 10 years out of it before it looks old and needs to be replaced you are lucky but I've had this blanket since 1978 and it still looks in new condition. This is the difference between mass produced items and hand made items.

Pre-1965 Mossberg bolt-action 20g that was my GF's. 1st rifle my father learned to shoot? And I and my brothers learned to shoot and a close cousin we grew up with learned to shoot. It's a 3 generation shotgun/rifle that's still in good working condition.

Yea, its a long story but I was in South Dakota as a child for a bit and while I was there an Indian woman from one of the reservations gave my mother a hand made blanket for me. Now the weird thing is if you go buy a blanket at the store and get 10 years out of it before it looks old and needs to be replaced you are lucky but I've had this blanket since 1978 and it still looks in new condition. This is the difference between mass produced items and hand made items.
Very cool. What's the pattern on the bowl?

Back