Old Movies You Actually Like

I watched the first half of Young Frankenstein and like it. It's got some adult humor too.

Yojimbo is great.

Yojimbo_%28movie_poster%29.jpg
tumblr_ot044mvv5z1qazanuo1_500.gif

I actually think that film has a good case for being the most influential of the last 60 years or more, besides the plot being reworked many times Mifune really is the blueprint for the sardonic antihero that's dominated so much cinema ever since, not a "step on the way" to it but pretty much fully fledged, you could drop him into something similar today and he'd fit right in.

One slightly odd one for me is The Man Who Would be King, perhaps not old enough to really be considered "old" coming from 1975 but for me it almost feels like the last gasp of golden age Hollywood, albeit mixed in with a harder edge than you'd likely have had in the 50's. I'm actually always surprised its not more popular as people love both Connery and Caine and I think this is arguably both mens best ever performance.

The-Man-Who-would-be-King-Feature.jpeg

Last edited:
This may be the 70s, but In the Heat of the Night with Sidney Potier and Rod Steiger is one of my all time favorites. Also, the Thin Man movies. I really like detective movies for some reason.

The Grapes Of Wrath from 1940's, one of my favorite movies of all time. Surprised it hasn't been remade.

I actually think that film has a good case for being the most influential of the last 60 years or more, besides the plot being reworked many times Mifune really is the blueprint for the sardonic antihero that's dominated so much cinema ever since, not a "step on the way" to it but pretty much fully fledged, you could drop him into something similar today and he'd fit right in.

One slightly odd one for me is The Man Who Would be King, perhaps not old enough to really be considered "old" coming from 1975 but for me it almost feels like the last gasp of golden age Hollywood, albeit mixed in with a harder edge than you'd likely have had in the 50's. I'm actually always surprised its not more popular as people love both Connery and Caine and I think this is arguably both mens best ever performance.

The-Man-Who-would-be-King-Feature.jpeg
Mifune is one of the most underrated actors over here (US). He was Clint Eastwood even before Clint was. He was also a very versatile actor. He can play a nameless bad ass or the village clown. It didn't matter.

Most of them.

I mean the cadence and delivery is a little weird at first but the stories and and cinematography is usually on point.

Harvey is my favorite movie of all time and I also feel like Gone With The Wind is the greatest film ever made.

Spartacus, Ben-Hur, pretty much all of Hitchcock. Val Lewton thrillers.

Classic movies are money. Like I said, you just kinda gotta get into the flow. They can sometimes be a little overacted due to most of the people being theater actors and dealing with shit screens and resolution but when the greats were on, it's still a sight to behold imo

Agreed. Good points as well

The Grapes Of Wrath from 1940's, one of my favorite movies of all time. Surprised it hasn't been remade.
Great movie and noone has dared touch it as of yet

Love me some Bogie .Casablanca and Maltese Falcon are two of my favorites . Classic anti hero with a heart of gold .

I agree that the 70s was also great, but the 60s also was re-birth for film as it was the decade when directors finally ditched the "stage feel" and innovated a lot of the stuff that the directors you listed would come to know as fundamentals a few years later, much in the way that the drug induced music of the 60s innovated what is now the fundamentals of rock n' roll. Many genres such as westerns (greatest decade no question), action/war, and horror took their next steps in the 60s. There were a lot of drug movies to be sure, just as there was a lot of psychedlic rock, but I would not say it is fair to use that to represent the decade as a whole.

List of my faves from the 60s (apologies if some are from 1970-71, I did it from memory):

Night Of The Living Dead
Dr. Strangelove
The Dollars Trilogy
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
True Grit
El Dorado
The Comancheros
Hombre
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Magnificent Seven
Hang 'Em High
The Hustler
Easy Rider
The Wild Bunch
2001: A Space Oddysey
Cape Fear
Cool Hand Luke
Planet of the Apes
Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes
The Longest Day
Rosemary's Baby
The Great Escape
Where Eagles Dare
Battle of Britain
Guns of Navarone
Mutiny of the Bounty
The Thomas Crown Affair
Bullitt
The Cincinnati Kid
Once Upon A Time In The West
Dr. No
Goldfinger
Dirty Harry
From Russia With Love
The Graduate
Lawrence of Arabia
In The Heat of the Night
Psycho
The Birds

But in the end, the discussion doesn't matter much because I also agree that the 70s were amazing too.

Wow great list! The only one I'd strike from there would be The Magnificent Seven. I recently re-watched it and while I enjoy the first 45 minutes or so when recruiting the gang, i think the last 2/3rds of that movie are just awful.

Did you leave Thunderball off the list on purpose? Goldfinger is my jam among all the early connery films but i'd put Thunderball equal to Dr No.

Now I should specify "old," because I know there are some young ones on this site for whom 90's is old. But I'm talking in the '60s or earlier.

Honestly, I've almost never enjoyed an old movie, other than some Hitchcock like Rearview Mirror and Psycho. I found Birds and Vertigo to be terribly boring (although, fun fact, I stayed at the hotel in the movie in Vertigo, which is now itself called Vertigo).

Any other good classic films you actually enjoy?

upload_2017-8-14_15-30-35.jpeg

upload_2017-8-14_15-31-27.jpeg

upload_2017-8-14_15-32-24.jpeg

upload_2017-8-14_15-33-52.jpeg

upload_2017-8-14_15-36-4.jpeg

upload_2017-8-14_15-37-27.jpeg

upload_2017-8-14_15-38-14.jpeg

Not a movie but the old Twilight Zone series still holds up really well.

upload_2017-8-14_15-39-49.jpeg

Some great suggestions on here of many I've never seen before.

Haven't seen a lot of comedy suggestions, probably because it seems to generally age so poorly, but i gotta throw some love towards It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World from 1963.

An ensemble cast movie that's a precursor to things like Cannibal Run but for being 54 years old, has a few moments that are still classic.

My favorite part involves Buddy Hackett and Mickey Rooney trying to make up some time so they link up with Jim Backus who plays a pilot who has his own personal plane, but is also a raving alcoholic. They get flying and Backus is like "hey, mickey rooney, why don't you mix us up a few drinks in the back eh??" They're like, "while you're flying...well...ok", and he's mixing them, and of course if you were mixing the drinks you'd probably make them a little on the weaker side. Anyways the pilot has one of my favorite lines, after his second or third he hands Mickey Rooney his glass and is like "Don't make em so sweet this time!" I always use that when someone's mixing me drinks.

Wow i never heard of Blackboard Jungle but all your other suggestions are very on point. I gotta check that out, it seems like the original movie of that genre in a way doesn't it? A precursor to all those Dangerous Minds type movies.

If we're talking TV The Prisoner should be mentioned as well.

Yep, Grease came out in 1978 and I like it very much. I'm not crazy about musicals but I really like Grease and West Side Story.

My favorite movie of all time is Casablanca, released in 1942.

The Godfather
Deer Hunter
The Graduate
The Warriors
Apocalypse Now
Rocky

I would recommend all of these "old" movies.

Well, the 70s were a Golden Age of film. There's tons of greats from there.

Before that, it gets hard for me.

The original Planet of the Apes just makes it into the 60s

Caught this once and thought it was pretty decent.

p4384_p_v8_aa.jpg

Young Don Ameche was a handsome dude.

heaven-can-wait-ameche.png

Strange question. Plenty of great older films, even from the silent era...I'd sooner watch many of those than some of the stuff that is currently coming out.

Citizen Kane. Watched it on a whim, and loved it.

Back