Okamoto: Cody Garbrandt is Targeting a Feb/March Return

You realize he was often training with them 2010-2012 ish, then went to blackzillians then came back to mark Henry right? He's had as much of an influence on Eddie as any other coach has had.

From what I remember he was training with philly fight factory for his boxing and Ricardo almeida for his BJJ during his Bellator run

From what I remember he was training with philly fight factory for his boxing and Ricardo almeida for his BJJ during his Bellator run

Could be. I just remember him and Frankie sparring a lot in preparation for Frankie's fights against Penn and Maynard. I'm not sure. I don't think Henry is that great either to be honest, but I don't think he's the worst.

Could be. I just remember him and Frankie sparring a lot in preparation for Frankie's fights against Penn and Maynard. I'm not sure. I don't think Henry is that great either to be honest, but I don't think he's the worst.
MH isnt the worst, but I'm not sure he maximizes his fighters' abilities

MH isnt the worst, but I'm not sure he maximizes his fighters' abilities

Whoever Cody was with before wasn't helping him do that either, so I see this as progress.

Homie needs to go to Tristar or something to round out his game. He's got all the natural ability in the world but he's got little to no fight IQ

Bite down on the mouthpiece and bang young man. Stand in the pocket and be free.

Homie needs to go to Tristar or something to round out his game. He's got all the natural ability in the world but he's got little to no fight IQ
Well that and his lack of chin too. The combo of wanting to go into slugfests with an already deteriorated chin is gonna see him losing more often unless he faces pillowfisted fighters. He is talented, fast, and pretty capable, the fact he was willing to admit he fights like an idiot is a good thing. Some fighters refuse to accept a flaw like that until it's far too late.
I wish him the best, I don't know if he can ever get the title back, but maybe with some favorable matchmaking and getting some wins, he could get a title shot again.

Well that and his lack of chin too. The combo of wanting to go into slugfests with an already deteriorated chin is gonna see him losing more often unless he faces pillowfisted fighters. He is talented, fast, and pretty capable, the fact he was willing to admit he fights like an idiot is a good thing. Some fighters refuse to accept a flaw like that until it's far too late.
I wish him the best, I don't know if he can ever get the title back, but maybe with some favorable matchmaking and getting some wins, he could get a title shot again.

You're absolutely right. That chin is not going to get any better. I don't know if people can really "increase" their fight IQ but he could at least offset this liability by getting a team around him that can give him a good gameplan to stick to once he gets in the cage.

Whoever Cody was with before wasn't helping him do that either, so I see this as progress.

Its possible, but I dont think it's so much technique as in fight, fight IQ and controlling his emotions

When exactly is it that Eddie was a finished product in your mind?
Eddie was a finished product before he came to the UFC. After the Conor debacle he spent more time training his boxing, with mixed results...not some super evolution or anything. He's too old in fight years for that. I would argue Eddie's peak was around Chandler 2 fight. He had 2 impressive UFC performances (a good flurry vs RDA and a boxing clinic vs Gaethje) and like 4 or 5 shitty ones.

Regardless,Mark trained Eddie for that absolute trainwreck vs Conor with an admittedly dumb game plan.Mark is a good technical coach but at the highest level he's also a bit of a meathead whose fighters tend to wilt in the biggest moments.

It is what it is, Cody should still take more time off to let his brain heal up and to have a more cerebral coach like Zahabi. Henry's meathead attitude is the last thing Garbrandt needs; his technique isn't the problem.

Aside from Frankie and Alvarez, everyone else chokes. There's a reason why Felder and Barboza left

Paul has been a nomad for years, he goes multiple places, Edson is still a top level guy so idk what you are talking about. People lose stupid, it’s not hard to understand.

also, Zabit, and various other fighters who have been champions on the regional level, that camp is a good one, bashing it is nonsense.

Paul has been a nomad for years, he goes multiple places, Edson is still a top level guy so idk what you are talking about. People lose stupid, it’s not hard to understand.

also, Zabit, and various other fighters who have been champions on the regional level, that camp is a good one, bashing it is nonsense.

Lol champions on the regional. Sorry to disappoint you but that camp is only slightly above mediocre

Eddie was a finished product before he came to the UFC. After the Conor debacle he spent more time training his boxing, with mixed results...not some super evolution or anything. He's too old in fight years for that. I would argue Eddie's peak was around Chandler 2 fight. He had 2 impressive UFC performances (a good flurry vs RDA and a boxing clinic vs Gaethje) and like 4 or 5 shitty ones.

Regardless,Mark trained Eddie for that absolute trainwreck vs Conor with an admittedly dumb game plan.Mark is a good technical coach but at the highest level he's also a bit of a meathead whose fighters tend to wilt in the biggest moments.

It is what it is, Cody should still take more time off to let his brain heal up and to have a more cerebral coach like Zahabi. Henry's meathead attitude is the last thing Garbrandt needs; his technique isn't the problem.
Thanks, dude. My thoughts are the same as yours

Completely agree. Cody needs an intelligent coach who can gameplan in a cerebral way and focus in making sure to keep his emotions in check in the middle of a fight. Firas is probably the best choice for that, Matt Hume would also be another excellent choice. Greg Jackson too would probably be another choice, but it seems like it's all Winklejohn at JW these days and Greg just collects checks.

Its possible, but I dont think it's so much technique as in fight, fight IQ and controlling his emotions

If anything, Mark henry's pitter patter point fighting style is exactly what Garbrandt needs to prevent him from getting knocked out again.

Part of his camp with Mark Henry? What a fucking traitor. That snake.

If anything, Mark henry's pitter patter point fighting style is exactly what Garbrandt needs to prevent him from getting knocked out again.

It's possible, when he didnt fight overemotionnally like against Cruz he's a world beater, but I think he bought into his own press clippings

His performance against Cruz is still the best performance I have ever seen in the octagon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back