Okamoto: Cody Garbrandt is Targeting a Feb/March Return

Cody vs Raphael Assuncao or Jimmie Rivera both make sense don't they? Neither guy is a power puncher either. Could help Cody get back on track.

Maybe a win against 1 or both of them and then on to someone like Aljomain and he is on a 3 fight win streak against well-ranked guys with a lesser threat of being KTFO along the way.

He started full contact sparring last week and has been doing regular bag work and pad work for 60 days. Cardio is at about 90% of where it was(his most underrated gift is his high caliber cardio!). He has been able to learn new stretching techniques to keep his back from acting up that have done wonders for him and his ability to train hard. He is only sparring with headgear from now on as well.
Source: We facetimed for about 60 minutes on my daughters first birthday last week

Dunno, but they had several camps with MH and never achieved much success

They never have much success regardless of who they're with. They always win two or so then lose.

I think Vera would murder Garbrandt. It's hard for me to believe he was actually a champion.
He said he trained his whole life to fight Cruz and executed perfectly. Helps Cruz is not exactly a KO artist and was nursing injuries too....

Cody will never be champ again though IMO. His chin can't survive the grind to the top. If he idiotically starts trading with Vera his run stops again.

They never have much success regardless of who they're with. They always win two or so then lose.

Either way MH hasnt really produced anyone outside of Edgar. Eddie was already a finished product when he started training with them

I say throw him on the Houston card (Bones vs Reyes) against Marlon Vera. That’s violence.

Agreed, he has been KOd too many times, see him chocked out would be a nice change of pace.

I think the same, he is extremely talented but needs to stop fight too emotional and use more his head.
Nice!
I don't care what anyone says, he's still a fantastic and exciting fighter to me (and still only 28 years old).

I think the same, he is extremely talented but needs to stop fight too emotional and use more his head.

I’m actually really glad to hear you all say this. I like Cody and I really don’t understand where all the hate comes from on this guy.

He’s still super talented and young. He’s still a valuable contender. People wrote him off bc he is Cocky and said “hanging with the boys.” Wtf?

On top of that, two of his three career losses came to EPO machine Dillashaw and Cody called it. What if those were turned into N/C’s.

I would like to see Garbrandt vs Cruz 2 if Cruz is healthy and wants a comeback. I don't mind Garbrandt vs Assuncao / Rivera as well.

Training with Henry away from California (. What a snake in the grass

Give him Yan. It's a shame that Lineker is gone

<{JustBleed}>

I’m actually really glad to hear you all say this. I like Cody and I really don’t understand where all the hate comes from on this guy.

He’s still super talented and young. He’s still a valuable contender. People wrote him off bc he is Cocky and said “hanging with the boys.” Wtf?

On top of that, two of his three career losses came to EPO machine Dillashaw and Cody called it. What if those were turned into N/C’s.
Cody never paid his dues - he went straight from #8 to a championship fight skipping whole top 5 where red meat is at so we really don't know if he's a contender. So far, last three, looking bleak.

Last edited:
Either way MH hasnt really produced anyone outside of Edgar. Eddie was already a finished product when he started training with them

When exactly is it that Eddie was a finished product in your mind?

Eddie was a finished product when he started training with Mark Henry

When exactly is it that Eddie was a finished product in your mind?

Probably when he got into the UFC right about the the time he started training with MH

Give him Sterling, that would be a cool and interesting matchup. No title shot though if he wins, he needs to earn it a bit more for me, apart from Cruz I am not very impressed with the guys he has beat.

Probably when he got into the UFC right about the the time he started training with MH

You realize he was often training with them 2010-2012 ish, then went to blackzillians then came back to mark Henry right? He's had as much of an influence on Eddie as any other coach has had.

Cody never paid his dues - he went straight from #8 to a championship fight skipping whole top 5 where red meat is at so we really don't if he's a contender. So far, last three, looking bleak.

Exactly. People don't get this. They're just like "but he beat Cruz!" Well, I would fucking hope he beat Cruz. He was literally raised to beat him by Faber, and had been watching him compete on the world level since he was in middle school.

It's like Weidman with Anderson. By the time Weidman became a professional, Anderson was already three years into his historic reign. Weidman watched it all, knowing that Anderson was the the final boss. He beat him twice, but then had a close fight with an aging Machida, and got whooped by Luke, Yoel, Jacare, and Mousasi.

Right now, I have a very hard time seeing Cody beating the truly elite contenders of that division.

You realize he was often training with them 2010-2012 ish, then went to blackzillians then came back to mark Henry right? He's had as much of an influence on Eddie as any other coach has had.

Dunno about that. All I know he was with blackzillians then he said he started training with edgar and MH

Back