Okami's Cut Actually Makes Perfect Sense.

No TS, it makes no sense.

By your logic we need to cut and blacklist every UFC fighter who lays n prays or point fights (and there'd be a lot of cuts with that).

Lots of idiots here in the forum Jagan, they just want to get hard ons watching guys try to stand and ko eachother, fuck watching any form of high level grappling, they want blood, idiots , just a bunch of idiots,

it's a business, but it's a business which is losing it's competitive edge by losing it's elite fighters unnecesarilly

Exactly.

Okami should've known long ago that he is not made to be a champ. His focus should really be on putting up a show instead of winning.

Really? So he should just give up then?

We knew he wasn't beating Anderson, but Chris is the champ now, that's a new guy he could have fought, and a guy I could see him beating. Okami was on a three fight win streak just before Jacare, ranked #3 and a lot of people were calling for him to fight Vitor for a title shot, or for the Jacare fight to be a title eliminator

The only legitimate reason for Okami to be cut is if he's overpaid in which case I completely understand it. But if he was cut strictly on style then I think its a bad cut.

Really? So he should just give up then?

We knew he wasn't beating Anderson, but Chris is the champ now, that's a new guy he could have fought, and a guy I could see him beating. Okami was on a three fight win streak just before Jacare, ranked #3 and a lot of people were calling for him to fight Vitor for a title shot, or for the Jacare fight to be a title eliminator

Yes he should give up chasing for the title, but that doesn't mean he should give up on his career. You don't need the title for a good career. Guys like Koscheck and Lytle are doing well financially despite not winning the title.

Again, it has nothing to do with his fighting abilities.

It makes absolutely no sense at all.

You say the UFC is a sport? Would a NBA team release a player who is boring, that never makes dunks or flashy layups? All he does is take 3's, long 2's but he is damn good at it? Would they cut a boring basketball player? HELL NO. A sport, and especially the premier organization such as the UFC should have the BEST fighters.

Then why the UFC? It isn't like UFC is a failing business and PPV numbers are falling so Dana needs to get them up by having exciting figheters. There IS room. It makes no sense. There are dozens of fighters in the UFC who had more losses, lost 2-3 in a row, boring, are not PPV draws, and yet they are still with the organization.

UFC just cut a fighter that was officially ranked at 6. What the F$%@!

it's a business, but it's a business which is losing it's competitive edge by losing it's elite fighters unnecesarilly

there are more elite fighters in the UFC right now at this very moment than there have ever been before.

They are just trimming the fat to also offer the most worthy product to pay money for. Its funny how people are up in arms about this cut (I was too at first) yet almost nobody who complains would pay money for an Okami PPV. In fact to most people seeing Okami on the card would probably diminish the value and lower expectations...

You say the UFC is a sport? Would a NBA team release a player who is boring, that never makes dunks or flashy layups? All he does is take 3's, long 2's but he is damn good at it? Would they cut a boring basketball player? HELL NO. A sport, and especially the premier organization such as the UFC should have the BEST fighters.

Basketball is boring by default (like most team sports). People watch regardless of that so those sports are not really in the same boat as MMA.

Todays UFC = Pro-Wrestling after the WWF/WCW/ECW merge

Niche sport FTW!

Money comes first for Dana and the UFC.

If the fighter can't rake in more money than what they are paying him, then they will cut him. Okami even though getting older is still a good fighter but most of us know he definitely is not a cash cow.

Instead of cutting him, maybe Dana could have come to agreement with Okami on lowering his pay or reduce the number of fights on his contract.

Then why the UFC? It isn't like UFC is a failing business and PPV numbers are falling so Dana needs to get them up by having exciting figheters. There IS room. It makes no sense. There are dozens of fighters in the UFC who had more losses, lost 2-3 in a row, boring, are not PPV draws, and yet they are still with the organization.

Why do morons always assume its about boring? Just like in the nba, and every other job in America: when an employee is paid more than he produces, he is let go. Boring is not the issue, fuck.

I didn't sat UFC is a sport if you actually read my thread carefully.

Sure, there are many boring fighters in the UFC that aren't as good as Okami, but I can safely say that the amount of viewers/fans which Okami draws is the among the least in the UFC, relative to his pay.

Why should employers make room for overpaid employees? The UFC is not a charity.

Money comes first for Dana and the UFC.

If the fighter can't rake in more money than what they are paying him, then they will cut him. Okami even though getting older is still a good fighter but most of us know he definitely is not a cash cow.

Instead of cutting him, maybe Dana could have come to agreement with Okami on lowering his pay or reduce the number of fights on his contract.

There's probably a lot of negotiation between Okami's management team and UFC, and I guess they didn't reach upon an agreement.

UFC soon = Ultimate Entertainment Championship.

MMA is now a gimmick. JUST BLEED, y'all.

UFC soon = Ultimate Entertainment Championship.

MMA is now a gimmick. JUST BLEED, y'all.

doubtful seeing how the average quality of fighters is higher now than it has ever been.

Good time to cut off some fat, starting with the most boring guys. There are enough fighters on the roster, equally or more skilled and MUCH more entertaining.

There's probably a lot of negotiation between Okami's management team and UFC, and I guess they didn't reach upon an agreement.

That is what I figured. Dana I believe still has respect for the veteran fighters that have been with the company for a long time, but he probably wanted to pay Okami that of a second or third tier fighter. :D

Maybe Okami will fight in Japan.

Okami has fought the best and come up short. Multiple times.

He has also come out on top multiple times. There is only room for one champ in each weight class, you know.

Why do people keep calling UFC a sport? MMA is a sport, UFC is a promotion. People act like Okami is banned from MMA.

This outrage is great and typical status quo bias.

doubtful seeing how the average quality of fighters is higher now than it has ever been.

Good time to cut off some fat, starting with the most boring guys. There are enough fighters on the roster, equally or more skilled and MUCH more entertaining.

for sure!!

Leben is hella skilled! good thing he didn't get cut! (3 losses in a row), JUST BLEED, RAWWR!

Lombard still a UFC fighter, JUST BLEED.

Overeem, JUST BLEED.

*yawn* Okami getting cut does not help legitimize MMA.

Why do people keep calling UFC a sport? MMA is a sport, UFC is a promotion. People act like Okami is banned from MMA.

This outrage is great and typical status quo bias.

the UFC is the only org. that is even close to sniffing anything mainstream. If Dana truly wants MMA to reach the levels of NFL, NBA, MLB, he needs to stop catering to the just bleed fans.

Back