Okami's Cut Actually Makes Perfect Sense.

s1fys

abc
@Brown
Reaction score
We have to realize that MMA is a sport, but the UFC is a for-profit business. If you are been paid more than the revenue you can generate, any rational employer would have cut you.

Seriously, who here have purchased anything from the UFC mainly because of Okami?

I thought the same thing the UFC is a business first and a sport a loooong second. While Okami is certainly better than many of the mw's on the roster he is not a draw to me and probably they feel is too expensive to keep around for the little revenue he brings in. He has had a title shot and I believe 2 title elminiators and came up short. His fights are usually boring and he does not go for broke ever(not trying to fighter bash just my opinion) so he does not have a Dan Hardy/Brian Stann fanbase where he can lose and still be around with a decent pay check.

Also I believe a main reason Dana cut him as stated in a different post was to scare other fighters into being more exciting

I thought the same thing the UFC is a business first and a sport a loooong second. While Okami is certainly better than many of the mw's on the roster he is not a draw to me and probably they feel is too expensive to keep around for the little revenue he brings in. He has had a title shot and I believe 2 title elminiators and came up short. His fights are usually boring and he does not go for broke ever(not trying to fighter bash just my opinion) so he does not have a Dan Hardy/Brian Stann fanbase where he can lose and still be around with a decent pay check.

Also I believe a main reason Dana cut him as stated in a different post was to scare other fighters into being more exciting

Exactly.

Okami should've known long ago that he is not made to be a champ. His focus should really be on putting up a show instead of winning.

If you order PPV's because of Okami, you suck at life.

So the assumption is that the fans don't want to see the best fight the best, awesome.

So the assumption is that the fans don't want to see the best fight the best, awesome.

Okami has fought the best and come up short. Multiple times.

Okami is definitely top 10, but at the same time he doesn't win impressively. It's not just the excitement factor.

As for UFC being a business first, duh. No MMA org cares about the sport over profit. No sports organization does either.

This.

At first I was disappointed Okami was cut, but after one nights sleep I can now appreciate it actually.

There's nothing wrong to fight with a certain style, even if it's just safety-first wrestling without taking risks or even attempting to be exciting. Just doesn't make for the best product as a spectator sport where people pay money to be entertained and the UFC as a promotion wants to offer the most entertaining product.

Strong wrestlers can be extraordinarily exciting fighters. Like Faber, Hendo, Weidman, Jones and many others on the roster. I am actually fine with cutting those who don't try to be and just want to cruise to a decision by laying on top of their opponents.

You think Okami is the best. You suck so much dick your lips smoke.

Yeah what grade are you in? Okami wasn't the best but he was one of the top fighters. In reality there is only one best fighter in every division that is the champion. You don't have to be the best to have a job.

What grade are you in?
You think Yushin Okami is the best. Hahaahaha we should just be thankful that Dana runs UFC, and not you. If you were in charge we'd probably be watching Fitch vs Okami rubber matches, to declare the "best". I am 27 years old.

But Okami is not a draw he doesn't put bums on seats and he isn't the sort of fighter to sell pay per views and with the ufc it's all business baby!

Yeah what grade are you in? Okami wasn't the best but he was one of the top fighters. In reality there is only one best fighter in every division that is the champion. You don't have to be the best to have a job.

He was over rated, there is a reason Dana cut him. They don't cut people who make money. You will be able to watch Okami fight all you want in a different promotion. Maybe he will fight Ken Shamrock and we will see who the all time best is.

I wonder if this cut means that UFC have given up un the Japanese market? Even if Okami is of little value for the US market, one would think that he'd be more bankable in Japan.

Back