Oil change... do you do your own or have it done?

I've always just brought my own oil and they had no problem using it instead of what they carry. I don't trust the place to not put cheap oil in my car.

They may smile and say it's no problem but they're cussing you under their breath.

Have it done. I don't really have time to do it myself, that and honestly I don't want to get oil all over myself, ya dig?

like my father would say

if you got time to sit at Jiffy Lube while they change your oil, you got time to do it yourself

I feel you there dude. Before I bought my car, the guy had just taken it in to get the oil changed so I didn't bother with it right away. A few weekends ago I go to change the oil. Drain all the oil out. Put the plug back in. Go to change the filter. Can't get it loosened up. None of my tools fit to crack it loose. The thing was like stripped and scraped up the way you said yours was too. I laid under that thing and got so pissed I grabbed it with both hands, squeezed it until it started bending inward and then turned it a couple millimeters. After about 20 minutes of using all my strength to get the thing turned 10 millimeters or so, I said fuck it and stabbed a screwdriver through it and twisted it off that way. Still took a shit ton of work because it was on so tight that the screw driver was just shearing through the metal. Took me over an hour in all to get the damn thing off and pretty much ruined my entire day. Put the new one on by hand so the next time I'll be back to my normal 30 minutes or so.

Pretty much the same situation I was in. They put on some shitty no-name filter which just ripped apart when I was trying to twist it off. Like you said man... a ruined day. haha

it's cheaper to buy synthetic from walmart if you want to use synthetic

I feel you there dude. Before I bought my car, the guy had just taken it in to get the oil changed so I didn't bother with it right away. A few weekends ago I go to change the oil. Drain all the oil out. Put the plug back in. Go to change the filter. Can't get it loosened up. None of my tools fit to crack it loose. The thing was like stripped and scraped up the way you said yours was too. I laid under that thing and got so pissed I grabbed it with both hands, squeezed it until it started bending inward and then turned it a couple millimeters. After about 20 minutes of using all my strength to get the thing turned 10 millimeters or so, I said fuck it and stabbed a screwdriver through it and twisted it off that way. Still took a shit ton of work because it was on so tight that the screw driver was just shearing through the metal. Took me over an hour in all to get the damn thing off and pretty much ruined my entire day. Put the new one on by hand so the next time I'll be back to my normal 30 minutes or so.

Is this a screw on oil filter canister? You shouldn't be able to twist off an oil filter with your bare hands, unless you're Brock Lesnar. Did an oil filter wrench not work?

strap_filter_wrench_1_1.jpg

Is this a screw on oil filter canister? You shouldn't be able to twist off an oil filter with your bare hands, unless you're Brock Lesnar. Did an oil filter wrench not work?

strap_filter_wrench_1_1.jpg

Yeah it's a screw on and I have 2 tools like the one you pictured and the "socket" type. The one you pictured was too big to get in there and move around enough to unthread it. The socket type I had was a hair too big to grip on to the filter as well.

Actually oil filters should only be put on by hand and loosened by hand. There's no need to ever actually need a wrench. Just put a light coating of oil on the o ring that contacts the oil pump and screw the thing in by hand and be done with it. It'll tighten on it's own because you'll find out that you wont be able to loosen it by hand if you torque it to the max by hand. I normally tighten mine to about 80% of my strength and I normally need nearly all my strength to get it off by hand. But unlike the one I just changed, they'll pop loose after a second of twisting instead of loosening up a pube hair at a time because someone torqued it on with a socket and a breaker bar.

I don't agree with this at all. When I put on my oil filters I put a very light coating of new oil around the rubber gasket on the filter and then I hand tighten it as tight as I can get it. I then back it off ever so slightly so I won't have problems getting it off in the future. Using this method I've never had an issue with oil dripping from the filter and I'm almost always able to get it off by hand... although every now and again I have to use a filter wrench.

I don't agree with this at all. When I put on my oil filters I put a very light coating of new oil around the rubber gasket on the filter and then I hand tighten it as tight as I can get it. I then back it off ever so slightly so I won't have problems getting it off in the future. Using this method I've never had an issue with oil dripping from the filter and I'm almost always able to get it off by hand... although every now and again I have to use a filter wrench.

Step-Brothers-Did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

lol @ the "I'm too busy" crowd with thousands of sherdog posts.

Sound like a bunch of wimps who either don't have tools or don't know how to do it. The 18 year olds at Jiffy Lube are manlier than you are.

I'm not gonna get my hands dirty to save a few bucks.

You sound poor.

I'm not gonna get my hands dirty to save a few bucks.

You sound poor.

It's never about saving money. It's about knowing it's done correctly or if it's even done at all. And knowing they don't break something on accident or on purpose.

[YT]GIfidE7zpxU[/YT]

Always, ALWAYS do it myself. People working at instant oil change places are imbeciles. Every time I've ever changed someone's oil who went to one of those places, it was always messed up. Drain bolts rounded, threads stripped, filter gaskets not oiled and so on.

and to the "well I might get dirty" folks. If you spill oil while doing it, then you are obviously a noob and need some practice. After a few times you should be doing it in less than 10 minutes start to finish and never spill a drop.

I take it in. An older man I knew was a do it yourself'er and his jack slipped and he was crushed. I'll take the hint.

If he wasn't using jack stands, then its a Darwin award candidate.

I've only had two oil changes in my short time owning vehicles. I did the first one on my civic. I have a truck now that had to go to the shop recently for a few issues that I didn't have the time or tools to figure out, and since it needed one I asked them to do it as well.

Haven't had my oil changed by someone else since I was 17. Valvoline 10W-30 in my gassers, and Mobil 15W-40 in my Cummins.

Yeah it's a screw on and I have 2 tools like the one you pictured and the "socket" type. The one you pictured was too big to get in there and move around enough to unthread it. The socket type I had was a hair too big to grip on to the filter as well.

Actually oil filters should only be put on by hand and loosened by hand. There's no need to ever actually need a wrench. Just put a light coating of oil on the o ring that contacts the oil pump and screw the thing in by hand and be done with it. It'll tighten on it's own because you'll find out that you wont be able to loosen it by hand if you torque it to the max by hand. I normally tighten mine to about 80% of my strength and I normally need nearly all my strength to get it off by hand. But unlike the one I just changed, they'll pop loose after a second of twisting instead of loosening up a pube hair at a time because someone torqued it on with a socket and a breaker bar.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421895197&sr=1-3
41gd0o9Ph8L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back