Oil change... do you do your own or have it done?

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
Do you do your own oil changes or do you take your car to a place? I used to just go to this one shop to get it done until the last time when they tried to screw me over. I always check the oil and the filter after every oil change to see if they did replace it and they didn't replace the filter, yet charged me for it. So, now I'm back to doing it myself. I used to think it wasn't worth the hassle of doing it yourself. Just pay $35 and they'll do all the work, including the disposal/recycling of the oil.

That title gonna bring the hurt

Either me(rarely), Jiffy Lube(Mostly), and father-in-law(sometimes).

Have it done. I don't really have time to do it myself, that and honestly I don't want to get oil all over myself, ya dig?

Have it done. Financially and convenience wise, it just makes sense. The shop puts it up on a rack, drains the oil, recycles the used oil, changes the filter, and puts in the new stuff pretty fast since they have the equipment. If you do it yourself, you have to buy the oil and make a trip to recycle the oil. You could always get oil on yourself or clothes, even spill some in your driveway. And whenever I see oil prices at the store, it usually costs more to buy oil than it does to take it to a place that has a special going on. I saw a 5-quart container of oil for $23.99 the other day, not including the filter. I got my oil changed for $19.99 for the same type of oil.

I'm not sure, but I think changing your car with Synthetic Oil is when it's worth it to change it yourself. Even then, I've heard of coupons floating around where people get their car changed with Synthetic at a good price.

I've often wondered why shops change oil when they likely don't make much profit, since their time and labor costs for service jobs are much higher. How much profit can a company make changing oil for 20 bucks when the oil itself costs 20 bucks? I'm sure they get a discount, but it isn't going to be enough to be worth it. Pretty sure they can only make money by upselling services with the oil change or "finding" things you need to fix. If you only use a shop for getting your oil changed and get your service work done independently, I can't see how that company benefits from you.

Last edited:
Even pretending that people who are genuine are actually being facetious is gonna be gud.

Do them at work. Fuck 2015 Chevy 1500's. Fuck Ford eco boosts also.

I do my own.
I've had too many bad experiences with quick lube places and dealerships. Parts missing (engine covers), bolts stripped, too much oil, not enough oil, etc...

The trick when doing it yourself is making sure your finger nails are trimmed. Any hang nails can really hurt. It's best to wear rubber gloves just to be safe.

Oh.. This isn't about oil checks is it?

a local shop use to do it for 10 bucks, my current local shop does it for 20 for 4 bangers or 30 for my minivan..... at those prices, why bother?

Have it done. Financially and convenience wise, it just makes sense. The shop puts it up on a rack, drains the oil, recycles the used oil, changes the filter, and puts in the new stuff pretty fast since they have the equipment. If you do it yourself, you have to buy the oil and make a trip to recycle the oil. You could always get oil on yourself or clothes, even spill some in your driveway. And whenever I see oil prices at the store, it usually costs more to buy oil than it does to take it to a place that has a special going on. I saw a 5-quart container of oil for $23.99 the other day, not including the filter. I got my oil changed for $19.99 for the same type of oil.

I'm not sure, but I think changing your car with Synthetic Oil is when it's worth it to change it yourself. Even then, I've heard of coupons floating around where people get their car changed with Synthetic at a good price.

I've often wondered why shops change oil when they likely don't make much profit, since their time and labor costs for service jobs are much higher. How much profit can a company make changing oil for 20 bucks when the oil itself costs 20 bucks? I'm sure they get a discount, but it isn't going to be enough to be worth it. Pretty sure they can only make money by upselling services with the oil change or "finding" things you need to fix. If you only use a shop for getting your oil changed and get your service work done independently, I can't see how that company benefits from you.

A 55g drum of oil from a distributor is a lot cheaper than buying quarts off the shelf at NAPA.

Only the poor change their own oil.

I can change it, but the $25.00 is worth the hassle so I just have it done.

I only did dealer oil changes while my car was under warranty. Now I switched over to full Synth and do all my own maintenance. I personally like to do all the work myself since I know they won't fuck something up on the car.
Oil change places make money by selling you inferior quality oil for your oil change and upcharging you for better oil, Filters, and other gimmicky services such as the fuel injector cleaner services and air filter replacements.

after my 5 year warranty ended on my Mazda, and I did my first oil change, I noticed that I was missing so many clips and fasteners for my undertray. a pair of pliers stuck between my valve cover and my Intercooler when I went to change my spark plugs, and various other fuck ups.

I have a mechanic who comes to my house and does the job for $15... I buy my own oil and filter... I like it, he does it right in front of me and I can buy any oil I want, if I want to spend the money I can buy an expensive oil or if I want to be cheap buy one that is on sale that week.

If I have plenty of time, i'll do it. If I feel lazy, go somewhere and get it done.

There's pros and cons either way. Forgot to mention they put too much torque on the oil drain plug. Way too much torque.. they could've stripped the threads.

I know the guy at the local jiffy lube and get hella discount, so no fucking way I'm doing all that work.

Back