• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Oh Boy, Weidman is in deep doo-doo, Machida is a straight up wrestla-killer.

amazing how people ignore the context

munoz isnt that good, tito at the end of his career, bader ok, 50 year old henderson (questionable decision like davis), 70 year old couture, rashad nice, davis questionable decision, rampage i remember that i thought he won but, and a past his prime rampage

43634990.jpg

Weidman is the champion who is a wrestler.

What happened the last time Machida fought a champion who was a wrestler?

Lyoto Machida has taken out Mark Munoz, Tito Ortiz, Bader, Henderson, Couture, Rashad and arguably Davis and Jackson.

Damn that's an impressive record.

And considering this was at 205, I can only imagine how Lyoto will manhandle and thrash Weidman at 185.

For all of you bettors out there, I'll throw you a bone, bet the house on Lyoto and do it before the odds go down. I've already put down a dime (that's 10K in gambler lingo). I know some of you don't have that kind of money, but my professional advice would be to gather up as much as you can and lay it down on the line.

I'd give you 2 to 1 odds and still take that bet. He may be a wrestler but he doesnt fight like one. This may sound a bit weird, but he has a very sneaky reach plus he is very patient as you saw in the 1st fight with Anderson. He won't get sucked into Loyotos game of waiting for his opponent to throw so he can counter. And you saw he has no problem checking any kind of leg kicks.

I will never get the love obesession with this clown...I just woke up after his last fight

This. The only good Machida fight I ever saw was the one where he got spanked by Jones. And I've never thought he deserved to win a decision. Aggression should count for something and fighters that constantly back up should always lose if it goes the distance. Most boring fighter ever.

machida brings weidmans short freakish champion era to an abrupt halt. First time he will have a fight against a top opponent. He will be ktfo.

For 1 second? You do realize you fight different when you are afraid of takedowns right?

The amount of time he was down doesn't matter here, he was facing a Kickboxer after all. Weidman has been wrestling since he was a small child and has not just better takedowns but far better top control than Mousasi. Of course I realize that fighting a wrestler with great TD's is different than fighting one that isn't, though throwing front kicks like that is literally asking for it even against a guy with no wrestling background. I've been stressing the importance of the TD threat and how it affects a striker's arsenal in my last several posts. Machida will fight Weidman differently and as a result he'll lose some of his most important tools. He'll be limited to what he can throw (ie. no kicks above the waist or knees).

Of course he can always throw caution to the wind and throw those same kicks and knees but it might come at a hefty price. Playing risk & reward is entirely up to him. I've been stressing just how much that constant TD threat limits a striker's performance, even if you have very good/great TDD. The thought of being taken down and getting hit with Weidman's GnP or potentially subbed will be taken into consideration by Lyoto each time he attacks with his legs (save for leg kicks which he's not a big user of).

Last edited:
machida brings weidmans short freakish champion era to an abrupt halt. First time he will have a fight against a top opponent. He will be ktfo.

I guess Damian Maia, Mark Munoz, and Anderson Silva are cans according to you.

The thing is - If Machida wasn't in the division I'd see Weidman holding the strap for a while.

Ive no doubt Weidman will get the belt back - but its Machida's time. Chris aint beating the dragon.

This. The only good Machida fight I ever saw was the one where he got spanked by Jones. And I've never thought he deserved to win a decision. Aggression should count for something and fighters that constantly back up should always lose if it goes the distance. Most boring fighter ever.

Thank god I'm not the only one who isn't blinded by the wanna be Ryu street fighter goggles. Look, we all know street fighter was a badass game, but watching Machida dance around for 25 minutes is disgusting. He is an awesome striker who is scared to death to pull the trigger on any real attacks unless he catches his opponent sleeping. The second Shogun fight left major mental scars on the dude.

Exactly...everyone acts like those who find him boring "just dont get MMA and how technical Machida is". Ummmm no I just hate watching a guy actually physically run away for 15-25 minutes of 90% of his fights. A dead clock is right twice and a day, and every now and then the guy gets a good one. But I would NEVER buy a card with him as the face. That crap is boring, and yeah honestly aggressiveness should play a huge factor in decisions. If you didnt come to hit and get hit...why waste our time

Lyoto Machida has taken out Mark Munoz, Tito Ortiz, Bader, Henderson, Couture, Rashad and arguably Davis and Jackson.

Damn that's an impressive record.

And considering this was at 205, I can only imagine how Lyoto will manhandle and thrash Weidman at 185.

For all of you bettors out there, I'll throw you a bone, bet the house on Lyoto and do it before the odds go down. I've already put down a dime (that's 10K in gambler lingo). I know some of you don't have that kind of money, but my professional advice would be to gather up as much as you can and lay it down on the line.

DragonClaw is a scrub.

Thank god I'm not the only one who isn't blinded by the wanna be Ryu street fighter goggles. Look, we all know street fighter was a badass game, but watching Machida dance around for 25 minutes is disgusting. He is an awesome striker who is scared to death to pull the trigger on any real attacks unless he catches his opponent sleeping. The second Shogun fight left major mental scars on the dude.

Praise the lord...I thought I was alone and now I found two who agree. The whole karate kid shtick is getting so over played. He stands way more of a chacne of putting me to sleep than his opponent

The wrestlers Machida's squashed don't really compare to Weidman. Weidman's much better on the feet and showed that he knows how to give counterstrikers problems against Silva. Would be more confident if this was a couple fights later but I think the most likely worst case scenario is a boring decision that goes Weidman's way.

Back