Xbox Official Xbox Series X thread

Cheaper Xbox expandable storage cards are on the way
Long overdue because the Xbox has been getting shit on by Playstation with their pro-consumer open-market-component choice with the PS5. This won't change that. The upside is this new WD unit carries an uncharacterstically long 5-year warranty.

xboxwesterndigital.jpg

I couldn't find a datasheet, but WD asserts it offers the same performance as the internal Xbox drive. That's 2.4 GB/s raw (uncompressed) throughput.

In comparison, PS5 users can install any NVMe Gen4x4 or lesser drive (up to 4TB) into their additional bay. The cheapest 1TB 4x4 drive available right now is a measly $50, for the Kingston NV2, and it will run at 3.5 GB/s raw. Drives that run at 7GB/s+ can be had for under $100.

It’s crazy how fast prices have dropped for those NVME drives. I bought a 1 TB for my PS5 around October or November 2021 and now the 2TB model costs like the same price I paid. Kind of wish I had held off since COD Black Ops Cold War + MW 1 + 2 eat up like an entire drive alone. Black Ops Cold War alone is taking up 250 gb on my PS5.

Looks like Xbox has cracked down on emulators on Series X/S and disabled them all, at least in retail mode.

https://www.gamesradar.com/emulators-on-xbox-series-xs-are-being-restricted-by-microsoft/

That’s a real bummer. Glad I played through that cancelled XBLA version of Goldeneye using the Xenia emulator back in February while I still had the chance.

Windows Central's take

"Nintendo is a very jealous gaming god. As we've seen with repeated examples in the past few years, the company launches lawsuits after pirates, hackers, and modders faster than you can say, "Princess Peach." It has even gone hard against fan creations meant to pay homage to the company. More so than other gaming companies, it wants to be completely in control of its identity, the characters it has created, and the means by which its games are accessed.

As stated in the email, emulators aren't illegal in and of themselves, but they can be used to run copyrighted programs or hack into sensitive information without having legal permission to do so. Ensuring that emulators capable of running Nintendo games aren't brought onto Xbox Series X|S adds a measure of protection to Microsoft and keeps the company out of potential legal trouble with the Japanese gaming company."

Nintendo might be the reason that Xbox is banning emulators | Windows Central

Man, I do wax nostalgic for those old days with me and my Commodore-64, and "backing up" those games my teacher loaned me. :)

Alright, which one of you degenerates did it!?! :)

Xbox Gamer Gets Over 250,000 Gamerscore in One Day

AA19AURG.img

"Martel18 managed to get a 250,000 Gamerscore in an astounding twenty-four hours, with their ultimate goal being one million. In just six days Martel18, who plays using the gamer tag BabyGamersSuck, has now amassed an incredible Gamerscore of 387,135 at the time of this writing, thanks to unlocking 3,766 achievements. Martel18 decided to stream their one million Gamerscore attempt on Twitch simply out of curiosity to see how far they could take the Xbox achievements system.

Earning that many points so quickly eventually got Martel18 hit with a ban from Microsoft. Thankfully, the ban was soon lifted, but this caused Martel18 to comment on how this proves the Xbox rewards system is broken. It's shocking to see that the Gamerscore speedrun would be considered impossible to achieve when there is proof of gaining the achievements, thanks to Twitch streams. Even though it's great that Martel18's ban is lifted, it could have put a stop to the entire project.

Although Martel18's Gamerscore speedrun seems to prove the points of those who believe Xbox achievements are too easy to gain, it's still a fun experiment to watch unfold. Despite Xbox achievement points being easier to earn than compared to the past, the work and dedication that Martel18 has put into this experiment is still quite impressive. Many curious fans of Xbox will be able to at least respect the hard work that Martel18 has done in order to make this possible. There are indeed changes that probably need to be made to Xbox's rewards system, but in the meantime it's fun to see how other gamers use the system to their advantage."

Xbox Gamer Gets Over 250,000 Gamerscore in One Day (msn.com)

I like to think I'm a gamer, but MANNNNNNN!

Thanks! Snagged it! :) What a steal!

I played it twice before on PS4.

My recommendation.... go into this blind on medium difficulty. This'll be a 60+ hour game you'll be playing a few times over.

And on your playthroughs after that, on Hard or Very Hard,, look up some of the builds for your squadmates.

I played it twice before on PS4.

My recommendation.... go into this blind on medium difficulty. This'll be a 60+ hour game you'll be playing a few times over.

And on your playthroughs after that, on Hard or Very Hard,, look up some of the builds for your squadmates.

I've played a bit of Wasteland 2 and I just love those squad tactics. Gonna give this a try!

Last edited:
Why is Microsoft so incompetent with how they handle their studios? This is why I don’t want them buying up more of the industry. 30 FPS on a title that doesn’t even look that amazing graphically? So odd

Why is Microsoft so incompetent with how they handle their studios? This is why I don’t want them buying up more of the industry. 30 FPS on a title that doesn’t even look that amazing graphically? So odd

I've never understood it either. This is my reasoning as well for not wanting them to buy up so many studios. The fact that they even continue to entertain 343 as a studio says everything I need to know. Apparently they made serious changes at the top of that studio so we will see if that helps but I have my doubts.

Microsoft is experimenting with a Windows gaming handheld mode for Steam Deck

AA19O7Am.img

A prototype game launcher for Windows.

"While it’s not clear who’s narrating the video, they do a good job of highlighting all the current issues of running Windows on a handheld gaming device like the Steam Deck. Valve offers drivers for Windows on Steam Deck, but the Windows UI is difficult to navigate with touch or a controller, and there’s no dedicated launcher like SteamOS has.

The video references some prototype handheld work created by Dorothy Feng, a senior UX designer at Microsoft. It includes a launcher that can open games from Steam, PC Game Pass, EA Play, Epic Games Store, and more. This handheld gaming prototype also includes a keyboard optimized for the Steam Deck that can be navigated using a controller, and even a floating taskbar that we’ve seen Microsoft tease before.

The team working on this hackathon project also started working with a developer that created a way to use Steam Deck controls across Windows. There’s even a gaming shell customized for Windows and created by Hayden McAfee, a senior software engineer at Microsoft who works on gaming experiences for Windows.

The hackathon project resulted in a setup experience where drivers and services are installed, the controller works, and there’s a launcher to quickly launch games from different stores. It looks like super early work and there’s a long list of issues and optimizations that would be needed in Windows and the Xbox app for Microsoft to make this a reality."

Microsoft is experimenting with a Windows gaming handheld mode for Steam Deck (msn.com)

This would be a baller move by MSFT. Make their own handheld, sell it at a loss, and make it 100% Xbox Live/Gamepass compatible.

Microsoft is experimenting with a Windows gaming handheld mode for Steam Deck

AA19O7Am.img

A prototype game launcher for Windows.

"While it’s not clear who’s narrating the video, they do a good job of highlighting all the current issues of running Windows on a handheld gaming device like the Steam Deck. Valve offers drivers for Windows on Steam Deck, but the Windows UI is difficult to navigate with touch or a controller, and there’s no dedicated launcher like SteamOS has.

The video references some prototype handheld work created by Dorothy Feng, a senior UX designer at Microsoft. It includes a launcher that can open games from Steam, PC Game Pass, EA Play, Epic Games Store, and more. This handheld gaming prototype also includes a keyboard optimized for the Steam Deck that can be navigated using a controller, and even a floating taskbar that we’ve seen Microsoft tease before.

The team working on this hackathon project also started working with a developer that created a way to use Steam Deck controls across Windows. There’s even a gaming shell customized for Windows and created by Hayden McAfee, a senior software engineer at Microsoft who works on gaming experiences for Windows.

The hackathon project resulted in a setup experience where drivers and services are installed, the controller works, and there’s a launcher to quickly launch games from different stores. It looks like super early work and there’s a long list of issues and optimizations that would be needed in Windows and the Xbox app for Microsoft to make this a reality."

Microsoft is experimenting with a Windows gaming handheld mode for Steam Deck (msn.com)

This would be a baller move by MSFT. Make their own handheld, sell it at a loss, and make it 100% Xbox Live/Gamepass compatible.

The Steam Deck already does this. There is already a program that does what they are attempting to do as well called Playnite. It's hilarious to me that anyone with a Steamdeck still uses Steamos when there is just no reason to. I have all my Steam and game pass games loaded up and ready to go and they all launch through playnite. It's easily been the best purchase I've made in years.

This is the best video I could find of someone using it. There are different themes you can use as well. I don't really like theme he is using.

Halo franchise executive leaves 343 Industries in latest shakeup

halo_infinite_s3.0.jpg

"Just weeks after the departure of Halo creative leader Joseph Staten from Microsoft comes confirmation that another Halo veteran, Halo franchise creative director Frank O’Connor, has left its subsidiary, 343 Industries.

A company spokesperson confirmed to Polygon in a statement Monday that O’Connor was no longer with Microsoft, saying, “We thank Frank for his numerous contributions to the Halo franchise and wish him well going forward.” The reason for O’Connor’s departure wasn’t announced, but according to his LinkedIn profile, he has the title “franchise creative director” at a separate unnamed company.

O’Connor and Staten’s departures from Microsoft and the Halo franchise are the latest in a long list of leadership changes for the brand. Longtime head of Halo developer 343 Industries Bonnie Ross announced her departure from the studio in September 2022, with 343 production head Pierre Hintze stepping up as studio head.

These departures join similar senior-level shakeups that include former Halo multiplayer creative director Tom French, who left 343 Industries in December; Halo Infinite head of design Jerry Hook, who left 343 Industries last May; and Halo Infinite art director Nicolas Bouvier, who left 343 last July after 14 years with the company. Another longtime face of the franchise, Kiki Wolfkill, transitioned from 343 studio head for Halo transmedia and entertainment to head of IP expansion and entertainment at Microsoft. Wolfkill, O’Connor, and Ross all served as executive producers on Paramount’s Halo TV series."

Halo franchise’s creative director leaves 343 Industries - Polygon

Back