• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, this is a tremendous week for women's MMA in the UFC. New fight announcements, TUF 20 cast, Rousey/Davis and Dufresne/Moras. Great stuff.

Angela Hill, if she actually ever makes the UFC roster, has a pretty good shot at making history.

Thirdpress what do you mean by the "Invicta Buyout" haven't heard anything like that. Do you mean the contracts of the SW's the UFC bought from Invicta?

In all seriousness, this is a tremendous week for women's MMA in the UFC. New fight announcements, TUF 20 cast, Rousey/Davis and Dufresne/Moras. Great stuff.

great stuff indeed. it's all very exciting! :D

10491977_712745015458328_1692549601298829453_n.png

I can't believe Aisling Daly is only 26. Seems like she has been around forever. She must have been one of those folks who started fighting pro while she was still a teenager.

And Alex Chambers is 35? Holy cow that girl has excellent genetics. She looks like she is barely out of her teens.

My only problem with the cast is that 10 out of the 16 girls are not in the top 10 or 15 in the division rankings. But from what I hear all the girls are quality fighters. Im looking at MMA Rising rankings.

Thirdpress what do you mean by the "Invicta Buyout" haven't heard anything like that. Do you mean the contracts of the SW's the UFC bought from Invicta?

Yep. The buyout of their contracts. Those were Invicta fighters. They had Invicta contracts. The UFC bought those Invicta contracts out for those Invicta fighters.

I can't believe Aisling Daly is only 26. Seems like she has been around forever. She must have been one of those folks who started fighting pro while she was still a teenager.

And Alex Chambers is 35? Holy cow that girl has excellent genetics. She looks like she is barely out of her teens.

I like this quote. Unfortunate but true: Alex looks 26 and Aisling looks 35. Alex got into the MMA game pretty late then.

I`m bummed that Nina didn`t make it. If she can make 115, she`s as dangerous as anyone in that division. And, her fights are exciting; she finishes people. I thought she`d be perfect for TUF 20. I hope they just go ahead and sign her to the UFC then.

Michelle Ould I`m less surprised about. She is a fighter. I mean, not like as in she`s doing this because she`s competitive and she likes sports. I mean, she just likes to fight. Much like Lauren Murphy and Tonya Evinger, you just get the impression that even if women`s MMA never took off, they would still get into fights. She is just not that careful with her words. In addition to the Cain`s tattoo remarks, she has also said very disparaging things about other fighters (like Meisha Tate) and I just think the UFC looks/looked at her like a possible train-wreck waiting to happen.

Angela HIll is kind of a surprising choice...but she seems to have a lot of potential.

Jarl

if lauren murphy beats mcmann , which could happen, does she get a shot at rousey? surely ronda is running out of challengers by now.apart from nunes and zingano i cant think of another challenger at the moment.

With Ronda vs. Alexis this weekend and the announcement of the TUF 20 roster, the Lauren Murphy vs. Sara McMann news has kind of flown under the radar. I`m happy Sara is getting another fight...but, the Invicta BW champion is now fighting in the UFC. What does this mean? There is now no Invicta BW champion? Obviously, Lauren won`t be on the "upcoming" Invicta 8 card. Can the UFC just take any Invicta fighter they want at any time? Or, are fighters just jumping ship on Invicta?

...and as tough as Lauren is, I think she will be a bit over-matched by Sara. McMann by sub in the 2nd round.

Jarl

Felice looks a little bummed out that they let Heather Jo Clark stand closer to the belt than her and the UFC didn't let her wear the supergirl outfit.

I love this quote too - it made me laugh. Good eye, Ashenthorn!

Jarl

I forgot to mention the possibility of Ellis and Penne getting a rematch on the show. Their first fight was absolutely amazing. If a repeat performance happens on there, that is easily Fight of the Season.

I am also a big fan of their fight. It was really a landmark fight in a way. Not just because it was so bloody, but because it was kind of a "changing of the guard" moment. Lisa was "the man" ("the woman"?) at lower weights for so long; she fought Megumi twice and Miku twice and Jag once (win a win over Jag and a single win over Miku). No one has a resume as good as that. No one has taken on a tougher list of opponents at SW than Lisa. But, Penne`s dismantling of Lisa kind of signaled a change. A new era in women`s MMA. It was a great fight, but since then Jessica Penne has been on the rise. Jessica is as good as anyone and she has apparently gotten a lot stronger recently. Lisa had a baby and hasn`t fought much since that classic bout with Penne. I think if they fought now - on TUF - it would be a much shorter fight with an inevitable victory for Jessica. It would be one-sided. And, that would take away from the great (first) fight they had. So, in a sense, I hope they don`t fight on TUF. I want Lisa to do well; I want her to school a rookie or two. But, I think she`ll just get crushed by Penne if they fight now.

Jarl

thats the beauty of TUF, hot favorites can lose in an instant, i know this season is different format wise, but does anyone know how many first and second picks actually went on to win the show, bazler and pena spring to mind.

if lauren murphy beats mcmann , which could happen, does she get a shot at rousey? surely ronda is running out of challengers by now.apart from nunes and zingano i cant think of another challenger at the moment.

If Rin Nakai gets past Miesha Tate she'd be yet another in the running for a title match with Ronda Rousey.

A strong win over Sara McMann would certainly help make a case for Lauren Murphy to get a title shot.

Either Zingano or Nunes would be decent title contenders assuming they win their next fight, which may end up being against one another.

The UFC is trying to get Holly Holm in. If push comes to shove they might just throw her in but I would prefer Holm get tested by at least one decent grappler before that happens, particularly if it helps set up a decent alternative title contender to Holm.

There are a few others out there who, with one or two fights, could be brought in to fight Rousey.

if lauren murphy beats mcmann....

Heres the problem for Murphy. McMann has talent.

Maybe she can hope for another ACL tear.

I wonder what Nakamoto will do now?

With Ronda vs. Alexis this weekend and the announcement of the TUF 20 roster, the Lauren Murphy vs. Sara McMann news has kind of flown under the radar. I`m happy Sara is getting another fight...but, the Invicta BW champion is now fighting in the UFC. What does this mean? There is now no Invicta BW champion? Obviously, Lauren won`t be on the "upcoming" Invicta 8 card. Can the UFC just take any Invicta fighter they want at any time? Or, are fighters just jumping ship on Invicta?

...and as tough as Lauren is, I think she will be a bit over-matched by Sara. McMann by sub in the 2nd round.

Jarl

Yep. Tons of Women's MMA news so far this week.

Here is the official thread, although there is a much smaller one out there:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...rphy-august-16-ufc-fight-night-maine-2773779/

Five pages long and almost all of it is full of interested people.

I'm guessing Invicta will have to get some new champions for strawweight and bantamweight. Featherweight might not be that far behind. (Hopefully they get Invicta 8 underway for Late August or, more likely, early September.)

Lauren Murphy has been looking to jump over the UFC for some time now. Not having an event probably led her to jump ship now with the UFC needing people to step up and fight for them. Their women's bantamweight division is full of injured fighters.

I'll be interested in seeing how McMann vs. Murphy pans out. You'd think McMann will get the takedown, and if she does, she will win but if Murphy can make her work for it, use her standup to work on McMann she could turn the fight in her favor.

I'd tend to see McMann as the favorite but wouldn't want to rule out Murphy from pulling off an upset.

--
I found these posted on the Strawweight TUF 20 Guide.

[YT]0lzHshzbSec[/YT]

[YT]h_sRnLFuYUs[/YT]

[YT]soxBTlo8oM4[/YT]

[YT]6Yxrby8CYs4[/YT]

[YT]Qwr9MA8-CNU[/YT]

[YT]YzujyousN0g[/YT]

Last edited:
What's up with Nakamoto now? I've seen her twitter and she's healing up her knee, but any talking of coming back, ufc contract, invicta, something?

I am also a big fan of their fight. It was really a landmark fight in a way. Not just because it was so bloody, but because it was kind of a "changing of the guard" moment. Lisa was "the man" ("the woman"?) at lower weights for so long; she fought Megumi twice and Miku twice and Jag once (win a win over Jag and a single win over Miku). No one has a resume as good as that. No one has taken on a tougher list of opponents at SW than Lisa. But, Penne`s dismantling of Lisa kind of signaled a change. A new era in women`s MMA. It was a great fight, but since then Jessica Penne has been on the rise. Jessica is as good as anyone and she has apparently gotten a lot stronger recently. Lisa had a baby and hasn`t fought much since that classic bout with Penne. I think if they fought now - on TUF - it would be a much shorter fight with an inevitable victory for Jessica. It would be one-sided. And, that would take away from the great (first) fight they had. So, in a sense, I hope they don`t fight on TUF. I want Lisa to do well; I want her to school a rookie or two. But, I think she`ll just get crushed by Penne if they fight now.

Jarl
You never know what will happen. Especially with the odd format of the show. Just look at TUF 18. Pena has her arm badly mangled by Moras the previous year. Then goes on the show and steamrolls over everybody (including Moras and a highly respected vet in Baszler). Who could have predicted that? Or that a 1-3 Rakoczy would meet her in the finals? There are just so many things that can throw a wrench into the fight outcomes. Calderwood could break her hand in her very first fight and be out that week. Or maybe she's drained from her weight cut, and is dominated in a huge upset.

Don't forget to also factor in the personal issues as well. The Rousey/Tate relationship looks tame in comparison to what has happened with this cast. Esparaza in particular seems to be a lightning rod for drama. She accused both Aguilar and Gadelha of roiding. She also trashed Magana in the past and suggested she faked a car accident to get out of fighting her. With all the huge personalities involved, I really wouldn't be surprised if someone melts down and quits the show.

Last edited:
If Rin Nakai gets past Miesha Tate she'd be yet another in the running for a title match with Ronda Rousey.

A strong win over Sara McMann would certainly help make a case for Lauren Murphy to get a title shot.

Either Zingano or Nunes would be decent title contenders assuming they win their next fight, which may end up being against one another.

The UFC is trying to get Holly Holm in. If push comes to shove they might just throw her in but I would prefer Holm get tested by at least one decent grappler before that happens, particularly if it helps set up a decent alternative title contender to Holm.

There are a few others out there who, with one or two fights, could be brought in to fight Rousey.
If Zingano/Nunes ends up happening, who do you think Kaufman should get? I'd love to see her against Holm, but I'm not sure that happens due to them training together. Rakozcy would also be interesting because of her striking, but I doubt Sarah takes that fight. Way too high risk/low reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back