• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Women's MMA Discussion Thread #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if the final is her and Angela Hill? Talk about an anticlimactic ending.

It wouldn't be anticlimatic if they have an epic underdog saga along the way beating Torres/Calderwood/Esparza/Penne.

It's the Rokoczy effect. Combat sport experience trumps an MMA record if you have a good showing at the tryouts. Hill is the fastest women on the roster.

It wouldn't be anticlimatic if they have an epic underdog saga along the way beating Torres/Calderwood/Esparza/Penne.
I'm just curious how quickly the mood would deflate among the fans if Calderwood, Torres, Rose, etc all go out early. Especially if they end up with someone that wins largely by default while everybody else implodes. The season would probably take a hit (as would the legitimacy of the title).

Last edited:
Roughly 25-30 women tried out, 8 made it plus maybe 2 alternates. I wonder how many of the leftovers Bellator tries to sign.

Roughly 25-30 women tried out, 8 made it plus maybe 2 alternates. I wonder how many of the leftovers Bellator tries to sign.

I think it was 36 women tried out.

Audrey Alvarez (2-0-0) US 3/13 big win over Anita Rodriguez (5-4-0) US. Flyweight.

Maria Andaverde (1-2-0) US 4/12 Flyweight.

Nina Ansaroff (6-3-0) US 12/13 big win over Munah Holland. Flyweight.

Chelsea Bailey (1-0-0) US 12/13

Kathina Catron (4-3-0) US 7/13, used to fight at flyweight. Hits hard but has had trouble with takedown defense in the past.

Angelica Chavez (4-2-0) US 7/12

Holly Cline (1-0-0) US 3/14

Heather Jo Clark (6-4-0) US 10/13. Has often done well in fights until injuries take the fight away from her.

Aisling Daly (14-5-0) IE 12/13 Former top flyweight with a variety of good wins, including over Jessica Eye.

Sharice Davids (1-0-0) US 11/13

Lisa Ellis (15-8-0) US 7/12 Often top five contender at atomweight and strawweight. Has a win over Aisling Daly and a loss to Jessica Penne.

Claire Fryer (4-1-0) AU 11/13

Charlene Gellner (0-3-0) US 11/12 Fights at flyweight.

Paulina Granados (2-1-0) US 9/13** Atomweight. Has a loss to Tessa Rose Simpson

Helen Harper (2-0-0) GB (TH) 8/13 Flyweight

Angela Hill (1-0-0) US 4/14 Top rated striker, just made her debut in mma this weekend.. more of an atomweight.

Jocelyn Jones-Lybarger (3-1-0) US 4/13 Mostly fights at flyweight.

Justine Kish (4-0-0) US 2/14 Former Muay Thai champion. Big wins over Randa Markos and Jin Tang. Has mostly fought at flyweight, missed weight by a bit in her fight against Markos.

Jennifer Liou (2-0-0) US 2/14 Flyweight.

Kristi Lopez (1-0-0) US 1/14 Flyweight. Has a win over Tyra Parker.

Jillian Lybarger (0-1-0) US 2/14 Flyweight.

Angela Magana (11-6-0) US 9/13 Often times top contender at flyweight and strawweight. Has wins over Barb Honchak, Jessica Aguilar, and Lynn Alverez. Has losses to Jessica Penne, Stephanie Eggink, Jessica Aguilar, and Jessica Eye.

Randa Markos Thomas (4-1-0) CA 4/14 Has a loss to Justine Kish.

Amy Montenegro (3-0-0) US 12/13 Flyweight, decent wins too.

Melissa Myers (0-1-0) US 4/14 Flyweight.

Michelle Ould (7-3-0, 2NC) US 11/12 Top ten flyweight with good wins.

Jessica Penne (11-2-0)** US 7/13 Top and Second ranked atomweight. Big wins over Angela Magana and Lisa Ellis.

Tyra Parker (3-4-0) US 1/14 Flyweight with losses to Kristi Lopez and Nina Ansaroff.

Mandy Polk (3-2-0) US Ammy Record.

Diana Rael (5-3-0) US 4/13** Top ten atomweight.

Laura Salazar (1-0-0) US 3/14

Sarah Schneider-Chance (6-6-0) US 7/12 Fought from bantamweight to strawweight. Wins over the likes of Kaitlin Young and Julie Kedzie.

Tessa Rose Simpson (3-1-0) US 11/13** Win over Paulina Granados at atomweight. Simpson previously fought at higher weights.

Danielle Taylor (1-0-0) US 3/14 Flyweight (I think).

Karina Taylor (1-4-1) US 7/11 Mostly fought at flyweight, 3 of her losses are to former and current top ten fighters (Cat Zingano and Michelle Waterson are two examples).

Ashley Yoder (1-0-0) US 2/14 Flyweight.

I would guess Bellator might pick up a good number of them. I'd prefer they develop the flyweight division though. As you can see above the majority of fighters who tried out for TUF 20 have been fighting there. There are more flyweights then at any other weight class.

I think it is a good idea for the UFC to have picked up smaller fighters, for the most part, for TUF 20. A good number of picks are atomweights. Get quality fighters who represent good demographics and spread of countries.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Angela Hill got in and not Michelle Ould, would've been fireworks in the TUF house if she had made it.

I'm surprised Angela Hill got in and not Michelle Ould, would've been fireworks in the TUF house if she had made it.

Yeah. Angela Hill is a surprise. The UFC, and observers at TUF 20, said there were a very good many talented and skilled fighters who tried out for TUF 20. More then they would need. So I think the UFC decided to look at a few choices from a demographic point of view, hence part of the reason why Hill made it in. This doesn't take anything from Angela Hill as a fighter as it is a choice of several people who can fix the bill, it is a matter of who brings that extra something, from demographics to a good striking background.

(I do feel Dana White/UFC wants to avoid an excess of wrestlers/grapplers in divisions.)

I had also kept an eye on Danielle Taylor, as she is also, a solid fighter at flyweight, but she took another fight since the tryouts so I knew she wasn't in the running any longer even though she would have been a decent choice outside of being on the big side for TUF 20.

Having been following Michelle Ould for years I had a feeling that she didn't make it based on her comments on twitter. Being older seemed to be a theme.

I am a bit more surprised that Nina Ansaroff didn't make it in other then that she is big for TUF 20. It could be that the UFC will tap her to fight as a regular pick-up, much like they have done with Tina Lahdemaki and Joanna Jedrzejczyk. It would make sense and avoid having a fighter who probably wouldn't do all that well, due to weight issues, after her first fight in the TUF 20 house.

BrovENnCMAAWyUc.jpg

Great to see our Canadian Girl made the show an a chance to get it. Really shocked at Angela Hill ( only 1 fight ) and not having Nina Anseroff part of the cast as she seemed like one that could win it all

glad to see lisa ellis and justine kish get in, i agree its almost certain nina will be signed shortly, and weight concerns kept her out, i will be hoping for lots of striker vs striker matches, and that jojo will batter everyone!

I'm just curious how quickly the mood would deflate among the fans if Calderwood, Torres, Rose, etc all go out early. Especially if they end up with someone that wins largely by default while everybody else implodes. The season would probably take a hit (as would the legitimacy of the title).

Well, it's not as if Rose has the kind of track record of a Calderwood, Esparza, or Penne that her early downfall would contribute much to a hit to legitimacy.

Having been following Michelle Ould for years I had a feeling that she didn't make it based on her comments on twitter. Being older seemed to be a theme.

Are you referring to her comments about Cain Velasquez's tattoo?

I forgot to mention the possibility of Ellis and Penne getting a rematch on the show. Their first fight was absolutely amazing. If a repeat performance happens on there, that is easily Fight of the Season.

Well, it's not as if Rose has the kind of track record of a Calderwood, Esparza, or Penne that her early downfall would contribute much to a hit to legitimacy.
True. Although she's given Torres her hardest fight to date. And that's a few people's pick to win the whole thing.

10491977_712745015458328_1692549601298829453_n.png

Are you referring to her comments about Cain Velasquez's tattoo?

I recall her making a comment about that as well. I didn't follow that particular comment closely but I do recall it now that you mention it.

There was a number of different thoughts she's thrown out on twitter that left me thinking she wouldn't make it in.

No one pointed her out as having distinguished herself at the TUF 20 tryouts either and that might have helped her.

Ould speaks out on what's on her mind. It would have been fun to see her in there.

--
Rose Namajunas has a legit chance at winning TUF 20 even if the pairing don't go her way. She is skilled. Improving. Is solid everywhere, isn't particularly big, even while having a reach advantage over many opponents. She can finish a fight quickly.

Last edited:
--
Rose Namajunas has a legit chance at winning TUF 20 even if the pairing don't go her way. She is skilled. Improving. Is solid everywhere, isn't particularly big, even while having a reach advantage over many opponents. She can finish a fight quickly.
I agree with you re Rose's chances. The key is that she does in fact continue to improve at a rapid pace. Considering her youth, significant improvement is a realistic expectation for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back