• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Women's Division Discussion #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be a good sign for atomweight that the UFC are moving on from the mentality that every title fight must be on a ppv and every numbered card must be headlined by a title fight. An Asian fight night graced by an atomweight title fight isn't going to cause as many Sherdog tears as if it was co-maining a big card.

I don't see why atomweight should be 105 though, just because it's 10 pounds below 115. In boxing there was just 6 pounds between fly (112) and bantam (118) ..... so why can't the atomweight limit be 107 or 108 and allow the small straws a healthier cut? Their presence would make for a more exciting division.

Mizuki Furuse asked for a shot in Rizin after her Deep win. She has an ugly record, but has a win over two Rizin fighters (Ai & Kawamura), and is only 18 years old.

Last edited:
What a great weekend for wmma.
Invicta Phoenix 2 was the highlight for me, when they first planned these 1 rounders I was unsure of it. Now after 2 events it's been so enjoyable the girls really going for the finishes and boring fights end at 1rd. Miranda really looked her best here wouldn't be surprised if the ufc calls her soon. Mariya Agapova also really impressed me how she beat conners so easily. Hansen back on the winning track.
UFC cheesecake saved her job and looked her best doing it, there's alot of talk about how bad Jojua here was never really seen her fight before so can't say if it was nerves or just the step to the big leagues or if sarah improved that much. In any case it's nice canada still has our token bw. Jojo vs Lee was a good fun fight, glad to see jojo pretty thoroughly win although I would have loved to see her finish Lee.
Bellator had a fun 145 too Borga might be something to watch given she easily beat Leibrock.

Val would counter her to a TKO finish. JoJo, even though I like her, does not have much for Val.

Val would counter her to a TKO finish. JoJo, even though I like her, does not have much for Val.

sadly i concur... unless jojo suddenly discovers new footwork, she's a sitting duck for shev's counters :(

I don't understood why they are so hesitant with 105. 105 is the most popular in the Asian regions they want to break into.
obviously UFC doesn't care anymore about Japan, they cut many Japanese fighters in the recent years, even big names like Gomi, Akiyama and Kawajiri were released, and even prospects like Michinori Tanaka, Daichi Abe and Naoki Inoue weren't given many chances

that's where 105 is supposedly the most popular division, not in China, where UFC is investing a lot (through a new facility, at least one event every year, a title fight already happening there etc)

The best Chinese talent in WMMA are at strawweight or flyweight:
115 - Weili Zhang, Yan Xiaonan, Jingnan Xiong (fights at 125 in ONE, could probably fight at 115 dehydrating further)
125 - Yanan Wu, Na Liang, Qihui Yan, Meng Bo, Jie Miao

so please, don't try to make something out of nothing, MMA's recent growth in China and UFC's success there isn't even related in any sort of way to this terrible idea that would be opening atomweight right now

Thought for the week: Amanda Nunes burned down Fight Valley and killed all its inhabitants #genocide

Fight-Valley.jpg

(except for 'Susie Celek' who is still at large - revenge arc matchup in a few years time? Watch your back Amanda...)

Best way to describe Fujita: when she isn’t in the gym, she’s sleeping in a tanning booth.

i wonder what Sarah Moras is worth to the UFC at this point, even though she finally got a win this weekend. does she have a decent fanbase? are they willing to keep her as a lower level gatekeeper for the younger up and comers?

Interesting that this guy has heard the UFC is planning a TUF season for atomweight.

I believe he's basing this info off of a tweet from a fake Asha Roka twitter account. The account (that's now deleted) said she was trying out for upcoming season, and it had hundreds of likes/retweets.

i wonder what Sarah Moras is worth to the UFC at this point, even though she finally got a win this weekend. does she have a decent fanbase? are they willing to keep her as a lower level gatekeeper for the younger up and comers?
She's their token canadian at WBW. The UFC likes to keep one in every division.

Sorry for not being on the forum for a bit, but there is a great reason why.

I am now located in fighter central Las Vegas so a lot going on. Wombat Sports is back up and running with content. Give me a month to update results. Still settling in.

Here is the big news - my new podcast WMMath launches this week with two in studio guests - Jessica Eye and Justine Kish. Any questions let me know. We are recording Wednesday.

The move also comes as Shannon Knapp will be doing Invicta cards at the UFC Apex soon so more live coverage.

Will be dropping a lot of news from now on.

Sorry for not being on the forum for a bit, but there is a great reason why.

I am now located in fighter central Las Vegas so a lot going on. Wombat Sports is back up and running with content. Give me a month to update results. Still settling in.

Here is the big news - my new podcast WMMath launches this week with two in studio guests - Jessica Eye and Justine Kish. Any questions let me know. We are recording Wednesday.

The move also comes as Shannon Knapp will be doing Invicta cards at the UFC Apex soon so more live coverage.

Will be dropping a lot of news from now on.

Cool. Hope this works out well for you.

Invicta FC signs former KOTC strawweight champ Cynthia Arceo

Also, Yan Xiaonan vs Ashley Yoder for Singapore. Not surprised they put Yan on this card after they didn’t use her for China. A lot of Chinese in S’po. She deserves a ranked opponent, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.