• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official Women's Division Discussion #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
UFC 217 - 10/07

Flyweight Division
Poliana Botelho vs Pearl Gonzalez

Poliana's debut. Finally!

Thunder Fight: special edition
Ariane Sorriso defeats Gloria de Paula by unanimous decision

Ariane moves up to 7-0 with the win but props to Gloria, a product of chute boxe SP, was in the fight the entire time throwing some nasty knees to the body and tagging Ariane constantly on the feet.

As for her chances... well, before the Holly-Ronda fight, I thought Holm's chances against Cyborg were slim to none. A tiny chance of her getting a point-and-run decision, but most likely an easy takedown-and-gnpTKO for Cyborg. Then the Ronda fight happened. After that my opinion changed a bit. While I'd still expect Cyborg to win, I wasn't quite as sure anymore. Not because Holm knocked Ronda out (I don't really see that happening vs Cyborg) but because of how well she handled Rousey's aggression and used it against her (and also a bit because of how easily she shrugged off Rousey's takedown (and sub) attempts). Now after Holm's recent - not so impressive fights - I tend to lean way more towards Cyborg again, especially with Cris apparently wanting to put more and more focus on patience. Tbh I wouldn't even rule out Cyborg winning via decision.
I still think Holm is probably more dangerous to Cyborg than pretty much any other fighter (including deRandamie, even tho I also consider Germaine to be having better chances than most others).

I think you are right. Holm could give Cyborg some difficulty. Holm is an athletic beast herself, and with her strong defensive wrestling she won't be easily manhandled by Cyborg. And Cyborg's come forward aggression could play into Holm's hands. Like you say, Holm does a lot better when fighters come to her. That said, Cyborg is a lot more sophisticated striker than Rousey. We saw in her last fight how she beat up her opponents leg with kicks. She could do the same to Holm and take away her movement.

Really? One more fight against a smaller fighter by Cyborg is an utter crock of shit. And particularly given her long history of cheating to fight smaller women. Even a half-way decent fight by an honorable opponent is more than Cyborg deserves. Acting as if someone who has no honor, integrity or shame deserves credibility is foolish and unethical.

And yes, people should desire a sport where rules and standards matter. They are the only thing that provide a legitimate framework for honorable competition. Making excuses for failing at simple concepts such as this is just as big a disgrace as some never-was calling a professional fighter a coward.

No one if forcing Holm or anyone else to fight her. You talk like they being forced into the cage at gun point.

Herica Tibercio announced she is pregnant. Will be out for a while.

Evinger said in her post-fight interview that her next fight is for sure at 135 and she'll take whoever they give her.

Thanks... I usually watch the PPVs at a friends house, so amidst all the bullshitting and chaos going on, I tend to miss things.

We have a second WMMA fight coming to the Contender Series on August 29th.

Update: The fight is Janay Harding vs Kelly McGill

Last edited:
Not surprised at Botelho vs. Gonzalez. Thought Poliana would hold off until they announce 125 and that's exactly what she did, not surprised Pearl's her opponent considering she fought at 125 before. Hope they deliver and leave a good impression on those who moaned about another Women's MMA division being added in the UFC.

I'm a little shocked Grasso missed weight... hopefully its because she's in kill mode... She needs to make a statement tonight.

Not surprised at Botelho vs. Gonzalez. Thought Poliana would hold off until they announce 125 and that's exactly what she did, not surprised Pearl's her opponent considering she fought at 125 before. Hope they deliver and leave a good impression on those who moaned about another Women's MMA division being added in the UFC.
I'm sort of surprised to see Pearl move up, but she is kind of slow, so it might be a good thing.

Definitely a fun fight!

Ariane moves up to 7-0 with the win but props to Gloria, a product of chute boxe SP, was in the fight the entire time throwing some nasty knees to the body and tagging Ariane constantly on the feet.

Checking if this came up on youtube, realized Sorriso should be 7-1. Amanda Ribas subbed her in a pro tournament.

Brazilian names tripping up record keeping sites again.

They are announcing the TUF 26 cast on the UFC Mexico telecast in a but

So the three I didn't have was Christina Marks, Maia Stevenson, and Melinda Fabian.

20620827_1401503716564378_3097437184287145020_n.jpg

The TUF26 cast leaves a lot to be desired but I can understand why the foreign 125ers are not on the show. Andrea Lee could have done some major damage with the names that are on TUF26.
The post TUF26 division is what has me excited. The foreign girls will be added and the girls from 115 and 135. It might be the best division or a close second 2 115 in a year or two.

The TUF26 cast leaves a lot to be desired but I can understand why the foreign 125ers are not on the show. Andrea Lee could have done some major damage with the names that are on TUF26.
The post TUF26 division is what has me excited. The foreign girls will be added and the girls from 115 and 135. It might be the best division or a close second 2 115 in a year or two.
Lee wouldn't have been able to make weight consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back