Multiplatform Official Next-gen WITCHER 3 Discussion

And idk if you read the books or not, but there are a few really interesting characters involved with Ciri and the Wild Hunt that could've made for really compelling content in the game. It could've been fleshed out a lot more. To be fair, though, the game had so much content that asking for more is a little crazy.

I've read summaries, the character bios in Witcher 3, and analysis of how Geralt, Yennifer, & Triss's relationships are nearly completely different in the books.

Pretty much my thinking. Im not familiar with the lore but just from the games it tells you that Witchers are dying out and they used to be more common, etc. Seems like fertile ground for more open world RPGs.

I wouldnt call it blending the franchises so much as just building a character as opposed to playing a premade one. I get the feeling CDPR doesnt want to "go back" to things and always move forward. I think they're at a place where theyve moved passed Geralt and company and theyre proud of the work they did, but they want to do something else now. I cant say specifically why I think that, its not based on an interview or anything. But my guess is any new AAA Witcher titles are gonna be in a very different time and place.
That would be my preference. They said before that Geralt's story is done. I'd love to see them stick to that and do a Dragon Age Origins type thing where you create a Witcher and choose a school which would determine your starting area and "class"/fighting style

I tried revisiting this after Ghosts Of Tsushima was a big big nope purely based on combat.

such a shame because the world , characters , factions monsters is unmatched for me but the combat is terrible. You basically do little side steps, weak rolls and the same slash attacks. The sword selection could have beenmagic could have been way more epic .

Yeah, this is the one place CDPR really dropped the ball. Its the one thing Im worried about in Cyberpunk just for this reason. Their combat has always been lacking.

That would be my preference. They said before that Geralt's story is done. I'd love to see them stick to that and do a Dragon Age Origins type thing where you create a Witcher and choose a school which would determine your starting area and "class"/fighting style
Yeah, to me this sounds so much cooler than being Ciri or another Witcher during the same time period as Geralt.

Yeah, this is the one place CDPR really dropped the ball. Its the one thing Im worried about in Cyberpunk just for this reason. Their combat has always been lacking.

I'm willing to give them a break with CP2077, its a 1st person RPG with shooting mechanics but gamers are going to be expecting Call of Duty and anything less will be viewed as 'lacking.'

I've been BEGGING for a Witcher 3 update for combat, and it looks like I'm never gonna get it.

Hopefully, CDPR will be developing updates for CP2077 and releasing them as they're ready for months to come.

Don't bother.

Witcher 1 was dated by the time it was released and difficult to play for anyone other than hardcore RPG fans. I played it for 10 minutes and uninstalled it.

I played 2 before 3, and although it was good I wouldn't be playing it again. You can look up all the relevant info for 2 on YouTube.

3 is one of those sequels in that honors fans of the prior games with many references to the prior games, but its by no means required to play. I would have enjoyed 3 just as much if I never played 2.

I have 1 and 2 in my Steam backlog so I think I’ll still give them a chance. If after two hours or so I’m not enjoying them then I’ll make the call about skipping straight to 3.

I have 1 and 2 in my Steam backlog so I think I’ll still give them a chance. If after two hours or so I’m not enjoying them then I’ll make the call about skipping straight to 3.

Sounds like a plan.

By the way, with 3 the first 'map' you play in is just the tutorial area. At the end, on the PS4, you get a trophy and I looked into the details of it and was shocked to see that only 73% of gamers that have played Witcher 3 on PS4 have got that trophy.

Its shocking to me that 27% of the players never got through the tutorial area.

Glad I bought this 2 years ago and never played it

Im at a point now where the main missions are to look for Ciri in 3 locations. Only...it doesnt track the mission. Even looking at the map, ive no idea where to go.

So i did some side missions and noticed the exp i was getting is very low. Then, i had to look into the menu to see if i was getting any exp from grinding ok random encounters cuz...i didnt know. I saw that i was, but shit, the exp is really low. 9 points from killing a bear? I am basically stuck on level 3.

I don't think it's bad, but I think the overarching "save the world from the Wild Hunt" aspect of it is pretty generic. Smaller subsections of it were interesting and fun for me.

Exploration and sidequests are my favorite part of most open-world RPGs. The Elder Scrolls games certainly aren't getting any creativity awards for "save the world from demon portals!" followed by "save the world from dragons!" I feel the same way about all the Piranha Bytes games and Fallout to a slightly lesser extent.

I agree that Hearts of Stone was very linear, but I think that's kind of to be expected considering how much smaller it is. It was basically just a questline and some goodies (crafting runes, armor sets, and I think a few sidequests). I was completely enraptured by the questline, though. I played it start to finish without getting distracted by anything else in-game. That's a big deal for me. I typically get distracted by exploring and sidequests like a puppy with squirrels.

Blood and Wine was basically full-on expansion with a whole new map full of stuff to explore.

I think I had just as much fun with Aard and Axii, but yeah, signs are the most fun way to play. A mutagen build can be interesting for a bit, but it's tedious. I recommend doing a melee build for a little just to try it out because they're so OP, but they get really repetitive and boring after awhile.
I'm with you there. I didn't care much for the main story of W3, at least in comparison to some of the sidequests, and the expansions stories.

Gaunter O'Dimm is one of the best villains I've ever come across in a game/story. His lore is crazy rich and compelling. The HOS expansion over-all was incredible. I liked the B&W location, but the story didn't leave as much of an impact on me as HOS did. Gaunter still gives me chills

MarvelousOptimisticHamadryas-size_restricted.gif

I also loved Geralt's relationship with Yen, post-Djinn story. Their theme music is so beautiful.

Their little family with Ciri is the foundation of the game for me, gives it so much meaningful weight. They did such a good job with it while giving you the option to be an asshole too lol

For a Witcher 4, I want to create my own Witcher and work with Geralt and co, or against them if I choose to. I can only imagine what they'll be able to do on better hardware.

Gaunter O'Dimm is one of the best villains I've ever come across in a game/story. His lore is crazy rich and compelling. The HOS expansion over-all was incredible. I liked the B&W location, but the story didn't leave as much of an impact on me as

Agreed.

He's a 'GOAT Video Game Villain' contender.

In all three times I played Hearts of Stone I always chose to play the riddle at the end. I believe it wouldn't have been in Geralt's character to let him win. I just watched youtube videos of the alternative endings in which O'Dimm gives him rewards and advice, and even then I wouldn't consider Geralt's character to accept the awards or listen to the advice. Yeah, I know that's am option as well, but a Geralt that feared O'Dimm enough to not challenge him also wouldn't risk offending him.

There's rumors he'll be making a cameo appearance in CP2077, and I hope those rumors are true.

I also loved Geralt's relationship with Yen, post-Djinn story.

There's a difference in their story if you complete Hearts of Stone before going to Skellige?

Their little family with Ciri is the foundation of the game for me, gives it so much meaningful weight. They did such a good job with it while giving you the option to be an asshole too lol

Looking for Ciri, protecting her, and rekindling the romance with Yennifer truly is the 'main story' for me.

Just wanted to reply to your post to talk about Witcher 3 more. :D

Agreed.

In all three times I played Hearts of Stone I always chose to play the riddle at the end. I believe it wouldn't have been in Geralt's character to let him win. I just watched youtube videos of the alternative endings in which O'Dimm gives him rewards and advice, and even then I wouldn't consider Geralt's character to accept the awards or listen to the advice. Yeah, I know that's am option as well, but a Geralt that feared O'Dimm enough to not challenge him also wouldn't risk offending him.

There's rumors he'll be making a cameo appearance in CP2077, and I hope those rumors are true.

Looking for Ciri, protecting her, and rekindling the romance with Yennifer truly is the 'main story' for me.

lol, I'm glad it's still fresh in your memory so I can reminisce too. Like Dark Souls lore, I'm always down for Witcher talk. I love the world so much!

There's a difference in their story if you complete Hearts of Stone before going to Skellige?

By post Djinn relationship, I just mean
that they find out it wasn't the spell that made them love each other, even though they were concerned it might be the case. It brings them closer together, almost making it more real to them.

I don't normally care about this kind of stuff in games, but the way it was written, and performed, was done incredibly well. It was very believable, and far ahead of any romance in a game. The fact we played it out with our actions/choices gave it more impact.

On a personal note, their love them/music is extra special for me as it reminds me of my dad. He passed away from Alzheimer's not long after I finished this game. He would sit with me at times while I played this, as I moved back home to take care of him. Whenever that theme would play, he'd look at me, nod, and smile, loving the arrangement. I've had it on loop for the last half hour while cleaning lol, damn onions in here

The series was excellent too, especially the ending. That damn music is beautiful as well!

I really hope Gaunter shows up in Cyberpunk, he's an amazing character. It's so cool how he shows up in so many scenes

I want to see Ciri too, or at least hear about her short visit there in some easter egg.

I'm with you there. I didn't care much for the main story of W3, at least in comparison to some of the sidequests, and the expansions stories.

Gaunter O'Dimm is one of the best villains I've ever come across in a game/story. His lore is crazy rich and compelling. The HOS expansion over-all was incredible. I liked the B&W location, but the story didn't leave as much of an impact on me as HOS did. Gaunter still gives me chills

MarvelousOptimisticHamadryas-size_restricted.gif

I also loved Geralt's relationship with Yen, post-Djinn story. Their theme music is so beautiful.

For a Witcher 4, I want to create my own Witcher and work with Geralt and co, or against them if I choose to. I can only imagine what they'll be able to do on better hardware.

Yes

I'd give you a like, but I'm all out

Agreed.

You too

Last edited:
I really hope Gaunter shows up in Cyberpunk, he's an amazing character. It's so cool how he shows up in so many scenes

I want to see Ciri too, or at least hear about her short visit there in some easter egg.

Holy shit, I'd caught a few of these, but I had no idea GOD (his acronym) showed up in so many scenes.
Im at a point now where the main missions are to look for Ciri in 3 locations. Only...it doesnt track the mission. Even looking at the map, ive no idea where to go.

So i did some side missions and noticed the exp i was getting is very low. Then, i had to look into the menu to see if i was getting any exp from grinding ok random encounters cuz...i didnt know. I saw that i was, but shit, the exp is really low. 9 points from killing a bear? I am basically stuck on level 3.
Almost all the XP in the game comes from completing quests, not killing creeps. That's how the developers managed to more carefully control your leveling despite the open-world nature of the game so that you wouldn't shoot yourself past the point of relevance where quests you pick up in the game become mind-numbingly easy (even if level scaling is on).

That quest isn't really a quest, it's a meta-quest, you should never have it selected to track. Just complete the "Main" quests, and you'll complete it. You gotta go to Triss's house in Novigrad to kick off most of the Main quests there. The Main quests for Novigrad send you to Oxenfurt. You'll have to pay 1000 Gold to get to Skellige, so that will come later. You can't get to Kaer Morhan until you've completed the Main quests in Novigrad and Skellige.

Cliffs: leveling is inevitable via progress through the quests/story. Leveling is virtually impossible via creep farming (it's like trying to grind past a pay-to-play wall on a mobile game).

I think I'm tired of this game, it will be the Skyrim of the 8th generation. Soon on your refrigerator.

I think I'm tired of this game, it will be the Skyrim of the 8th generation. Soon on your refrigerator.
I don't know if that's warranted-- at least not yet.

Skyrim
was heavily advertised on mainstream commercial platforms like television before its launch. It sold 7m copies in its first week, and had already hit 20m sold by the start of 2014. This didn't surprise anyone because it was the latest installment in the most commercially successful RPG series in history outside Final Fantasy. By late 2015 it had made 16x the cost of production & marketing combined, and yet Bethesda did nothing but spam it for the second half of the decade after that when Dragonborn was the final DLC expansion content issued for it way back in December, 2012.

Witcher 3 was successful, certainly, selling 4 million in its first week, 6 million after its first six weeks, and kept it rolling after racking up GOTY awards, but it found a whole new audience after the Netflix series came out last year which has drawn this renewed interest. It is word-of-mouth and a sustained, gradual growth which has kept it relevant. You can see the expected spikes from its release and the release of expansion content, as well as after the Netflix release, but irrespective of that, you can see the active user base playing it has steadily inched up on Steam since its release:
https://steamdb.info/app/292030/graphs/

Meanwhile, they've stayed busy. CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077 is clearly already on the way, and promotional material already released indicates the most advanced implementation of ray-tracing the gaming community has yet to see.

Conversely, look at Skyrim, and the opposite trend. Yet Bethesda has been more preoccupied the last two years with releasing ports on mobile & Nintendo or remasters inferior to already freely available mods than making a new TES that everybody wants:
https://steamdb.info/app/72850/graphs/
3e8.png

I still haven’t played the DLC and was going to do another play through with it. Good news and timing.

If you just do the quests in your area, you will level quickly. On both of my playthroughs I found myself significantly overlevelled from doing sidequests and had to turn on level scaling to keep the game fun. I haven't done nearly all of the sidequests. The main quests give you so much xp that you could almost play straight through without doing anything else. You actually might be able to do that honestly.

If you just do the quests in your area, you will level quickly. On both of my playthroughs I found myself significantly overlevelled from doing sidequests and had to turn on level scaling to keep the game fun. I haven't done nearly all of the sidequests. The main quests give you so much xp that you could almost play straight through without doing anything else. You actually might be able to do that honestly.
Then im obviously doing something wrong.

Ive gone to the boards to get contracts. Open up my secondary quests and see either way too hard missions or fucking card missions. I dont know about anyone else, but i hate when big games add a card game shit.

Ill have to take another peak cuz this looking for ciri shit is in the main quest. Like in other games, i do a lot of side quests before main missions, all in the fear that ill miss out.

Doing that now with rdr 2 on my 2nd playthrough. I hunted all the animals i could and you tubed some shit, just so i can get the trinkets. I then got arthur a turkoman, which isnt hard, but if you dont do it in one mission, arthur never gets one. That said, its already been a shit load of hours and now that ive gotten a lot of the legendary animals, fish, a lot of the challenges, killed the serial killer, saw the ufo, and other random town shit, im getting sadly bored. Im at the point where arthur and charles just rescued rains falls son.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back