Official Judo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some judo instructionals my coach and I did one night.

Damn... that's you! I saw this on youtube a while back and I loved your sensei's setups to sutemi-waza so much that I regularly look for those grips now. Much thanks!

Thanks fellas.
Killakoy, glad you enjoyed those vids! Those were impromptu, in which I basically cornered my coach and handed the camera to a white belt.
This year I've upgraded to a HD camera and want to convince my sensei that we should put out some higher production quality instructionals on grip techniques. Grips are really his strength, and he's got some very sneaky and functional (he's won some Masters Division International competitions) grip set ups.
The goal would be to have the videos on a dedicated website, for free, but to have a donation tab available. If all goes according to plan, it would also be nice to compile a DVD of all the techniques that could be purchased basically at cost (i.e., very inexpensive).
It's all in the "idea" phase at this time, but bottom line, I'm really glad you enjoyed the vids and were able to work some of the stuff into your game.
Cheers!

Thanks for the videos Bubble Boy. They are awesome. I totally agree with the grip videos, there are far too few videos on grips set ups and what not. Keep up the great work.

Been stuck on a boat for a long time, just wanted to say:

Judo Rules! (still)

Hey guy's regarding the new Judo rules (well old now) that a while back everyone was upset about.

Were the rule changes implemented to drive out wrestling, sambo TD's and to force players to try to win via the ippon more often instead of point's?

Just curious cause a lot of people are saying the new rules are killing traditonal judo by banning so many techniques especially leg attacks however i thought in traditional judo the goal was to always acheive ippon and only recently people have been winning on points because it's easier and safer then attempting an ippon.

Except for the Japanese who always aim fot the ipppon.

And also by having people attempt ippon's more often it's more entertaining for the audience then "ugly judo" where guy's are pulling on each other in squated position's and trying double, single legs and ankle picks.

Hey guy's regarding the new Judo rules (well old now) that a while back everyone was upset about.

Were the rule changes implemented to drive out wrestling, sambo TD's and to force players to try to win via the ippon more often instead of point's?

Just curious cause a lot of people are saying the new rules are killing traditonal judo by banning so many techniques especially leg attacks however i thought in traditional judo the goal was to always acheive ippon and only recently people have been winning on points because it's easier and safer then attempting an ippon.

Except for the Japanese who always aim fot the ipppon.

And also by having people attempt ippon's more often it's more entertaining for the audience then "ugly judo" where guy's are pulling on each other in squated position's and trying double, single legs and ankle picks.

If you don't get the ippon it doesn't mean you're going for points. There is the entire newaza game of judo, which begins only when things hit the mat. Submissions have been one of the main ways to win a judo match since its inception.

judo its one of my likes when watching mma. i love seeing techniques like judo.

[Tycho?];48545143 said:
If you don't get the ippon it doesn't mean you're going for points. There is the entire newaza game of judo, which begins only when things hit the mat. Submissions have been one of the main ways to win a judo match since its inception.

No im aware of sub's I mean like did they change the rules to try and drive out guy's who would dominate the standup portion by scoring waza-ari or yuko over and over to rack up point's so that more people would have to try for ippon to entertain the crowds?

If that is indeed the case and thats why so many Judo players were upset about there favourite moves being banned (leg attacks were a big 1) and thus leading them to compete in BJJ, Sub-wrestling or Sambo out of dissapointment and protest?

Because they all said the new rule change was killing judo but i thought traditionally ippon was what most guy's strived for the best way to win was ippon so if that is the case then the new rules are helping judo not killing it cause there stopping it from turning into wrestling aren't they?

I guess if im correcct and please tell me if iv'e got the wrong impression but if im correctt the new rules are helping the standup portion just hindering the ground game cause of the limited time your allowed to spend trying to sub or pin causes it's like only 20sec's right? ridiculous :icon_chee

It's a multiple part issue.

1. Encourage more "pure" Judo: A lot of leg attacks are viewed as techniques that are easily done by the more athletic player, not necessarily the best Judoka. "All" someone needs to do is drop levels, grab the legs, and rush. IMO it's easier to get an ippon from moves like Morote Gari (double leg reap) than most other techniques. I think a lot of non-Judo guys were beginning to find success in Judo with this move and banning the move would "weed-out" those players.

2. Eliminate stalling: Without fear of someone attacking my legs I can more comfortably assume an offensive, upright position. This would ideally encourage more attacks, less stalling.

The new rules don't really affect ground work at all. Previous changes limited the time spent in newaza, but current changes do not.

Points or not, you always want the Ippon. Guys may stall and play defensively after they've got some points, relying on winning by a yuko is madness.

What I'm writing is just me gassing. If I'm incorrect, please correct me. I don't compete on an int'l level and haven't been exposed to a lot of the politics.

Have you guys seen Ronda Rousey(Judo Bronze Medalist 2008 Olympics) since she has made her transition to MMA? She has finished all of her opponents inside of a minute via armbar. She has looked even better than that last sentence sounds. Here is her last fight.

It's a multiple part issue.

1. Encourage more "pure" Judo: A lot of leg attacks are viewed as techniques that are easily done by the more athletic player, not necessarily the best Judoka. "All" someone needs to do is drop levels, grab the legs, and rush. IMO it's easier to get an ippon from moves like Morote Gari (double leg reap) than most other techniques. I think a lot of non-Judo guys were beginning to find success in Judo with this move and banning the move would "weed-out" those players.

2. Eliminate stalling: Without fear of someone attacking my legs I can more comfortably assume an offensive, upright position. This would ideally encourage more attacks, less stalling.

The new rules don't really affect ground work at all. Previous changes limited the time spent in newaza, but current changes do not.

Points or not, you always want the Ippon. Guys may stall and play defensively after they've got some points, relying on winning by a yuko is madness.

What I'm writing is just me gassing. If I'm incorrect, please correct me. I don't compete on an int'l level and haven't been exposed to a lot of the politics.

You are basically right, except that there aren't non Judo players who have any success with any move at a high level. You can't just switch from wrestling to Judo and do well with your double leg (On a high level, sure you could steam roll through regional tournaments or maybe even do well at national tournaments in Judo weak countries, but they aren't winning a grand prix or world cup).

Rhonda has looked pretty great. Would like to see her fight some higher profile matches as she seems to be far beyond regional competitors.

Rhonda has looked pretty great. Would like to see her fight some higher profile matches as she seems to be far beyond regional competitors.

Agreed.
She has a fantastic and agressive takedown+submission kind of game, which fits great into Women's MMA where there's not much power behind punches.
I believe she needs to start facing better competition and should be picked up by a bigger promotion, because right now, at the regional level, it's going to be hard for her to learn as much if she only spends a minute in the ring every so many months, and also because having an Olympian female athlete is good promotion for any company.

Selling a Blue Mizuno Shiai competition gi size 6 my mom bought it for christmas wrong size then she washed it never worn.. pm me for details

Last year I had a very limited number of Judo lessons and have gone back again this year. Hopefully will remain injury free unlike last year.

So with the limited number of classe I have been to this year I have already learnt great things , but also got some questions.

1. Combos: In terms of throws I know(not proficiently) O goshi and Tai Otoshi. When it comes to randori I have had it pointed out to me to stop trying for just one throw and rather create a combination. So far I've been trying to put together O Goshi, followed by Tai Otoshi and when that fails I try my version of Osoto Gari (I haven't been taught it officially yet). So I am kind of trying to string three together.

Any one have tips or pointers to help out with developing combos ?

2. When going in for throws (the uchikomi part) I have been stepping forward . I now realize and had it pointed out to me how wrong this is and that I'm basically giving myself to the opponent.

I have watched uchikomi videos on youtube and am confused . Is the person who is doing the throw essentially turning 180 degrees on the spot while dragging drawing their opponent in ? To my untrained eye when watching vids of it done fast it looks like the thrower is stepping in towards their opponent.

Anyone have any tips or vids they recommend watching for this ?

3. I saw in a Dave Camarillo book him showing steps of how he practices entering for throws. He appears to do a thing where he crosses his feet over. The back leg is coming behind the lead leg and the rear foot is now in front of what was the lead foot. I'll try find an image of it. Essentially again I felt this would be stepping into the opponent ? Obviously it's not but it still confuses my Uchikomi thoughts.

3. Grip fighting...haha I have no idea what's happening here

I have several more noob questions but will limit them to this for the mean time.

Any help is mot appreciated.

Last year I had a very limited number of Judo lessons and have gone back again this year. Hopefully will remain injury free unlike last year.

So with the limited number of classe I have been to this year I have already learnt great things , but also got some questions.

1. Combos: In terms of throws I know(not proficiently) O goshi and Tai Otoshi. When it comes to randori I have had it pointed out to me to stop trying for just one throw and rather create a combination. So far I've been trying to put together O Goshi, followed by Tai Otoshi and when that fails I try my version of Osoto Gari (I haven't been taught it officially yet). So I am kind of trying to string three together.

Any one have tips or pointers to help out with developing combos ?

2. When going in for throws (the uchikomi part) I have been stepping forward . I now realize and had it pointed out to me how wrong this is and that I'm basically giving myself to the opponent.

I have watched uchikomi videos on youtube and am confused . Is the person who is doing the throw essentially turning 180 degrees on the spot while dragging drawing their opponent in ? To my untrained eye when watching vids of it done fast it looks like the thrower is stepping in towards their opponent.

Anyone have any tips or vids they recommend watching for this ?

3. I saw in a Dave Camarillo book him showing steps of how he practices entering for throws. He appears to do a thing where he crosses his feet over. The back leg is coming behind the lead leg and the rear foot is now in front of what was the lead foot. I'll try find an image of it. Essentially again I felt this would be stepping into the opponent ? Obviously it's not but it still confuses my Uchikomi thoughts.

3. Grip fighting...haha I have no idea what's happening here

I have several more noob questions but will limit them to this for the mean time.

Any help is mot appreciated.

O goshi to tai otoshi is kind of a counter productive combination. If one were to enter for o goshi and it fails, it's likely that the opponent is going to be resisting the forward pull by pulling backward. If your tai otoshi is very low, then you might be able to make something out of it, but honestly, if you try to throw someone forward and they resist, then throw them backwards. That's likely to be where they are weakest. O soto gari > tai otoshi is a good example of that. Attack with o soto, if your opponent withdraws the leg you are attempting to reap, turn while thrusting your formerly reaping leg across the front of your opponent and throw tai otoshi.

Good Judo is about applying techniques where your opponent is weakest. If they are already resisting a forward throw, then attacking with another forward throw may not be the best option.

I'm not sure who told you that stepping into your opponent is incorrect, but I would likely argue the point. Whether or not you should be stepping into your opponent, whether they should be stepping into you or whether or not there is a happy middle ground somewhere depends on the situation. For example, if I am throwing tai otoshi while my opponent is moving away from me - which is my favorite time to throw it - and I were to try and step away from them, there would be far, FAR too much space and it would never work. At the same time, if I were attempting to throw someone with tai otoshi while they were moving toward me and I attempted to "step in," I would jam myself up and not be able to complete the technique.

There is a time and place for stepping into your opponent just as there is a time for stepping away. The key is understanding when you have an opportunity to attack and which method is going to be most effective and efficient for that situation.

The Camarillo brothers know what their doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back