Official Judo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^puulize

it was bad judo from they other guy to, you have a guy turtled at your feet, take frekkin advantage of that and take his back, turn him over do something

Well, it's not that easy to take advantage when the referees stand the matches up very quickly and some of these guy's newaza consists of stalling with their turtle. I have seen a guy get grips, drop seoi-nage, turtle, get stood up, repeat ad nauseum. The other guy got a penalty for stalling :icon_conf

Of course they didn't ban drop seio-nage. And they shouldn't. They should try enforcing pre-existing rules instead of limiting techniques.

Definitely there were much better ways to fight it, like ramping up the stalling rules and much more time to work the Newaza.

For all who say that it's the other guys fault for not breaking down the other guy's turtle, the whole point was that the current IJF rules (stupidly) also only give a few seconds for progress on the ground before resetting, and Judo guys probably spend more time turtling than just about anyone and are therefore pretty darn good about stalling progress for a few seconds.

If you can reliably break down a national/international level (where guys playing with the IJF directly are) Judoka's turtle in about 4 seconds then please keep us updated on your 2012 Olympic progress...

They were hiding behind the first cardinal screw-up of the IJF which was the severe limitation of ne waza

^^it is kinda a self for filling prophecy

guys aren't even trying to break it down. if more people went for it they would become better at it. it is not an good position to be in. those guys are just saved by quick ref intervention

[YT]IXD_l-rb7ag[/YT]

Nice follow through with legit leg attack. Yeah from the previous post this has been a grey area especially for horrid judges/refs.

Anotehr example around 4:32 where leg grabs are legit under the current rules.

Anotehr example around 4:32 where leg grabs are legit under the current rules.

No.

Though a good match, at 4:32 that would have resulted in Hansoku-Make due to the fact that the Uzbekistani fighter never actually got a chance to put the cross grip on the Korean fighter -- the Korean fighter went for a leg while the Uzbek was in the process of reaching for the cross grip.

Under the new rules, the person must have the cross grip on you, you must be already involved in a move (like an Ouchigari reap, but the opponent is not going down due to bad kuzushi so you reach and grab the leg to help it out), or as a counter-attack to UKE while he in the middle or end process of a failed attack.

:icon_sad:

No.

Though a good match, at 4:32 that would have resulted in Hansoku-Make due to the fact that the Uzbekistani fighter never actually got a chance to put the cross grip on the Korean fighter -- the Korean fighter went for a leg while the Uzbek was in the process of reaching for the cross grip.

Under the new rules, the person must have the cross grip on you, you must be already involved in a move (like an Ouchigari reap, but the opponent is not going down due to bad kuzushi so you reach and grab the leg to help it out), or as a counter-attack to UKE while he in the middle or end process of a failed attack.

:icon_sad:

Did you mean to say that it SHOULD have resulted in hansoku make? Its pretty obvious this video is from 2010, its plastered all over the title so this was under the new rules. And with the camera angle given its pretty much impossible to see if the uzbeki actually gripped or was just reaching for the grip.

Did you mean to say that it SHOULD have resulted in hansoku make? Its pretty obvious this video is from 2010, its plastered all over the title so this was under the new rules. And with the camera angle given its pretty much impossible to see if the uzbeki actually gripped or was just reaching for the grip.

The post should have said SHOULD HAVE BEEN HANSOKU-MAKE.

Got my Sankyu (Green) on Tuesday. I feel proud, and very motivated.

Got my Sankyu (Green) on Tuesday. I feel proud, and very motivated.

Sankyu isn't green.

I never heard of a green Sankyu. If Sankyu is green where you live congrats on being 3 steps closer to Shodan. In the US where I am Sankyu is 3rd brown.

Last edited:
What Country is green Sankyu and not a brown for Judo? Wikipedia says Sankyu is brown.

Look at the wikipedia link again where it says Canada, Europe and Australia

Rokyu - white
Gokyu - yellow
Yonkyu - orange
Sankyu - green
Nikyu - blue
ikkyu - brown

Look at the wikipedia link again where it says Canada, Europe and Australia

Rokyu - white
Gokyu - yellow
Yonkyu - orange
Sankyu - green
Nikyu - blue
ikkyu - brown
I only see this..
belts.jpg

But if that's how it is in other countries that's cool. That green belt is now 3 steps closer to Shodan.

2agw0lj.gif

Does this kinda look like sukui nage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back