• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official ADCC Discussion Thread

apparently Rafa had his knee and ankle iced up (and held up by tape - also he had trouble walking) after the finals against cobrinha so it had to hurt

I'm not saying Toquinho doesn't have awesome jiu jitsu(he does) or that I blame him for Avellan's injury(I don't). But he was(at least allegedly) cranking on the heel hook in that match out of bounds when the ref told them to stop, he definitely was striking Galvao in there match and at least 3 of his last 4 matches in the ufc have been controversial(didn't let go of the heel hook on the Polish dude, accused Marquardt of greasing and just stopped fighting mid match, and unilaterally decided that his fight with Miller was over). It's way past a trend at this point.

I'm not saying Toquinho doesn't have awesome jiu jitsu(he does) or that I blame him for Avellan's injury(I don't). But he was(at least allegedly) cranking on the heel hook in that match out of bounds when the ref told them to stop, he definitely was striking Galvao in there match and at least 3 of his last 4 matches in the ufc have been controversial(didn't let go of the heel hook on the Polish dude, accused Marquardt of greasing and just stopped fighting mid match, and unilaterally decided that his fight with Miller was over). It's way past a trend at this point.

Agree, he needs to learn some sportsmanship OR he needs to listen and obey the ref on the mat.

Possibly the lamest bjj victory of all time ...

I actually the like the rules a lot, but I think a lot of competitors are not really used to the guard deduction, which has resulted in some lame point decisions, lamest being Rafa over Cobrinha, 0 to -1. I'm hopeful that if people get used to these rules, you won't see that kind of thing as much.

I was there and cobrinha spent a good 20 minutes arguing with the refs at the end of the fight, he looked so fucking angry, because he went for a takedown attempt which ended up with him on bottom and they scored it as him pulling guard

Agree, he needs to learn some sportsmanship OR he needs to listen and obey the ref on the mat.
Also Palhares didnt crank the sub after the ref called stop, they rolled off the mat, the refs let it continue and paul harris had a heel hook, the opponent tapped and then claimed he only tapped bcause he thought they were going to be reset but the fight was allowed to continue off the mat because paul harris had the sub.

After his opponent whines fora while they restart in the heel hook (some are saying they started the position leads into it but they most certainly started in it I was only a few metres away from the mat) and palhares puts it on as the opponent rolls violently to escape.

The dude's brother's account had some embellished details considering I saw the whole thing and there was no holding off the sub after the ref ordered a break.

This is entirely incorrect. Ask anyone who was there and watching it. Paul harris haters are out inforce! You mad?

Did Eddie Bravo and Gracie ever rematch or did that get pulled?

Edit: Nevermind. The answer was yes. I wasn't having any luck Googling it till a moment after I posted this.

This is entirely incorrect. Ask anyone who was there and watching it. Paul harris haters are out inforce! You mad?

I know everyone that wasn't there live are hating, everyone there loved him, he had the most cheers and people asking for autographs and pictures the guy was awesome without him and marcelinho the show wouldn't have been 40% of what it was.

But wait...

How us accusing Marquardt of greasing controversial of Palhares? And how is thinking you win, then later actually winning, controversial at all? You merely add those to make it seem like the list is longer than it is.

The only controversial thing in the UFC was holding the legloc too long. He did not strike Galvao, and he may or may not have cranked the heel hook out of bounds.

The list becomes really short when you actually look at it.

That was fun - let's do it again in two years. Hopefully at a more reasonable time of day.

Here's my usual recap - ADCC 2011 Recap and Review | The Jiu Jitsu Laboratory.

Opinions are like arseholes everyone's got one.

Guess your a professional fiction writer with your embellishment of what actually happened in the palhares match. The match continued off the mats with the refs discression, Avellan tapped, Palhares went to hug him and Avellan walks into Palhares arm and claimed a strike. The ref reset the fighters and Palhares continues where he left off an subbed Avellan. No intentional, bizarre or aggressive behaviour there. Bar that not a bad write up.

Guess your a professional fiction writer with your embellishment of what actually happened in the palhares match. The match continued off the mats with the refs discression, Avellan tapped, Palhares went to hug him and Avellan walks into Palhares arm and claimed a strike. The ref reset the fighters and Palhares continues where he left off an subbed Avellan. No intentional, bizarre or aggressive behaviour there. Bar that not a bad write up.

Exactly.

Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares was in many ways the story of the tournament. He injured almost everyone he faced and angered more with his bizarre and aggressive behaviour. His match with David Avellan resulted in one of the most gruesome knee-bars of all time when after already popping Avellan’s knee multiple times after wrenching on a heelhook after the referee tried to stop the match, the Brazilian tree stump almost came to blows with Avellan before he torqued Avellan’s knee again leading to the American being carried off the mat.

Galvao looked like he was playing it safe but turned it on in spurts showing the world the nimble yet explosive athlete of years past. He got past the very game Nelson and Pablo Popovitch to make it to the finals against Palhares. The finals were very tense, due to the risk of Palhares’s near-psychotic determination to tear apart people’s knees. Galvao played it smart, with key sweep to the back half-way through that brought him up 9-4 (with one negative apiece) for the win.

Am I supposed to take this shit seriously? You're trying to make Palhares sound like a sociopath who gets some kind of sadistic pleasure out of hurting his opponents. Just about every reasonable person who saw his match with Avellan concluded that what happened was Avellan's fault.

I'm kinda surprised at how much passion Palhares evokes from people.

I rewatched the video beforehand to make sure I didn't remember it incorrectly. Avellan did tap, but that was after the ref had attempted to stop the match and Palhares cranked the heelhook. He admits as much. But the fact remains that he cranked the sub after the ref tried stopped the match.

I personally think that Palhares's behaviour immediately after and throughout today was bizarre. This is because normal people don't go around slapping people and chest slamming them. There's a reason Allevan and Galvao got really upset by this.

I don't think it's the end of the world and I think Palhares had a fantastic run this year. I don't get the attempts to either demonize him or excuse his behavior.

UrbanSavage - I realize that you're really into Palhares, but do you honestly think that his actions were normal? I think that you're right, though, that I could have been more fair in some aspects of my write up. I was very surprised that a Jiu Jitsu competitor would act that way and it definitely came out less than objectively in my writing.

I was at the ADCC event over the last two days and it is interesting reading this thread. With regards to the Mendes-Cobrinha fight it was my opinion that Cobrinha was taken down at the start of the match. Rafa shot in for a single, had the leg and was driving for the takedown and Cobrinha pulled guard. In BJJ if you pull guard when someone has your leg then that counts as a takedown scored against you. Just my two cents...

I was at the ADCC event over the last two days and it is interesting reading this thread. With regards to the Mendes-Cobrinha fight it was my opinion that Cobrinha was taken down at the start of the match. Rafa shot in for a single, had the leg and was driving for the takedown and Cobrinha pulled guard. In BJJ if you pull guard when someone has your leg then that counts as a takedown scored against you. Just my two cents...

You can't score points at the beginning of the match though.

You can't score points at the beginning of the match though.

Oh yes I know there are no points for the first five minutes. However, I read that the negative point came from a guard pull at the start of the match. We were all confused as to how Mendes won the fight.

Back