• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Officer shoots black man in Brooklyn Center (10 miles outside Minneapolis)

if only there was such outrage when a black person killed another black person as that is many times more prevalent.

It is like not giving a shit about something every fucking day of the year except leap day.
Do they typically get away with the murder even when there is video of it?

They just dragged someone away on one of the feeds and are firing tear gas and non lethal rounds

Is there a general procedure taught in the academy?

It is different in every academy depending on what “package” they use. Different use of force companies teach their own technique. These companies go to police departments and teach their techniques and usually teach one officer or more to be an instructor. That was how I got my start. I was the only officer in the department (2002) that had any extensive ground training with my bjj so they asked me to help train the officers. I went to an fbi academy and completed their two week instructor course and began teaching. I also sought out other systems to expand and took what I liked from each system. The primary one we used was called PPCT pressure point control tactics because it had a good integration of techniques that flowed into each other for most types of defense and offense. But all the systems are pretty similar-they use knee strikes to the thigh(common perineal nerve cluster), brachial stuns to the side of the neck in lieu of punches to the face, and other techniques. The gracies even have their own system which is really good, but too expensive for most departments. I attended one day of that training and would have loved to have had those guys come to the department, but at $7000 for a day long session-no.

It is different in every academy depending on what “package” they use. Different use of force companies teach their own technique. These companies go to police departments and teach their techniques and usually teach one officer or more to be an instructor. That was how I got my start. I was the only officer in the department (2002) that had any extensive ground training with my bjj so they asked me to help train the officers. I went to an fbi academy and completed their two week instructor course and began teaching. I also sought out other systems to expand and took what I liked from each system. The primary one we used was called PPCT pressure point control tactics because it had a good integration of techniques that flowed into each other for most types of defense and offense. But all the systems are pretty similar-they use knee strikes to the thigh(common perineal nerve cluster), brachial stuns to the side of the neck in lieu of punches to the face, and other techniques. The gracies even have their own system which is really good, but too expensive for most departments. I attended one day of that training and would have loved to have had those guys come to the department, but at $7000 for a day long session-no.
The Gracie's should be offering these sessions for a discount to law enforcement if you ask me

I’ve never shot a stun gun. Graves, is it operationally similar to a police issued gun in terms of the safety and firing mechanisms? Or is it a completely different method for firing it?

Completely different. The stun gun is a contact weapon in which you have to touch the person. Tasers fire two probes that the charge travels into the person through. The stun gun will affect only the area that it touches and it is mostly a pain tolerance issue. It hurts but you can fight through it. If you get a good spread on a taser, the whole body will lock up and you can’t move until the current stops. You can also use tasers as a stun gun in what is called a drive stun by either removing the cartridge or using a spent cartridge.

Do American police academies teach them how to put people down with their bare hands like 99% of the world? It seems guns is the only thing they know how to use.

Do American police academies teach them how to put people down with their bare hands like 99% of the world? It seems guns is the only thing they know how to use.
well they try and that is police brutality now you can not in usa make a render criminal harmless with force

The Gracie's should be offering these sessions for a discount to law enforcement if you ask me
There is an "adopt a cop" program at jiu jitsu schools. It's free training, but requires a lot of social media posts and minimum times per week

Many times cops are executed by armed felons and no one bats an eye. I personally think people should ask “how did we get here”. He’s 20 with priors including weapons charges. We hardly lost a saint here. He escalated the situation, she made a huge blunder that killed him. No idea why this is “controversial” and demands rioting.

Sometimes they do. I have seen it occasionally on my email where they are having a special $2500 half day session but they won’t travel unless you spend biiiig bucks. The group I did Jiu jitsu with would occasionally bring in some big guns if everyone pitched in $200. I can’t remember who came-some dude from Brazil that was going to be in Pittsburgh. We contacted him and he drove the half an hour to train with us. But it was not law enforcement specific. We also attended a course put on pretty much free $75/person by a mma gym called ground zero where they were pro law enforcement and wanted to help out. They were really good guys and helped teach us a few things. Then we stayed afterwards and rolled with them a bit and then went out to dinner and drank.

It’s utterly baffling to me how people can stand in the middle of an unruly crowd and not understand why the police are treating them like non-peaceful protestors. It’s fascinating to see the disconnect in real time.

There is an "adopt a cop" program at jiu jitsu schools. It's free training, but requires a lot of social media posts and minimum times per week

The first time I went to a new bjj gym loosely associated with the machados, I had two different guys say “oh shit, I get to beat up a cop on his first day” and after I quickly submitted the first guy and he complained saying he thought it was my first day, I told him I had been doing it for years-it was just my first day there. The other guy and I had a stalemate, but now he is a semi famous mma fighter around here.

I’ve never shot a stun gun. Graves, is it operationally similar to a police issued gun in terms of the safety and firing mechanisms? Or is it a completely different method for firing it?
I have to confess, they came about after I retired but my kid, who's LE, said they're the simplest implement to deploy.

Him being killed because he was resisting is the reason she will end up spending time locked up. People trying to justify the shooting are probably about as dumb as it get though. She is most likely looking at manslaughter for her action.

He wasn't killed for resisting. You're parroting a blatantly false and dangerous lie.

For a long time many departments wouldn't touch anything MMA related, including Jiu Jitsu. They were using bullshit akido based Koga or other arrest and control that was worthless.

Luckily now things are slowly coming around and agencies are realizing that BJJ is safe and highly effective for cops.

I need to get back into BJJ, I was a blue belt at one time but due to life events had to stop.

Another perspective is, just let him go and tell him to 'take care of it.'
I can't count the number of times I let ppl go with outstanding warrants.
I mean, c'mon. I wanted to stay in service on the street, not tied up in jail processing.
"Just for your information, you have a warrant for failure to appear. Take care of it, Ok?"
"Damn, thanks Officer. I'll take care of it."

Back