Offering your seat...

No one puts any second thought into it where I use to live at in Hong Kong where there is a lot of subways. Its just common courtesy that you offer your seat to an elderly person, child or disabled person. Even as a child back then I tend to offer my seat to the 80 year old elderly person

Elevators can be awkward, if I’m in and then someone else enters, I usually do the head nod and say “how are you?”
And then when I or they leave, say “have a great day”

I don't sit down on trains unless the car is damn near empty. I prefer to stand.

Anyway, here's a Keanu Reeves YT vid:

This seems like a bitter take. You don’t need to be kind to the elderly because it might get you laid. How about just giving up your seat because it’s the right thing to do.

Your take on his story is the bitter take!

This seems like a bitter take. You don’t need to be kind to the elderly because it might get you laid. How about just giving up your seat because it’s the right thing to do.

Pretty sure it's just illustrating how being decent and kind improves everyone's life including your own. I can appreciate your point of view though, I would extend it further: its actually more beneficial to be a nice person rather than pretend to be a nice person because it cost you less resources, you don't have to hide your actions all the time and you don't suffer the fallout when you're found out. It's the same thing though, just an organism behaving in ways to maximise it's chance to reproduce and command resources.

There is no moral high ground.

Man I fucking despise it when I hold a door open for a woman and they dont say thank you...i usually just shout your welcome to those cunts.

Note- did this in dublin before to two teenage girls, after i shouted youre welcome one turned round and said “fuck off”

TLDR... doing kind things like giving up your seat on train can help you pick up chicks...

Do you stand up and offer your seat on public transportation? The elderly, pregnant women, a mom with kids in tow, a person carrying a bunch of bags...

Traveling in Eastern Europe this was the norm. Young people “fighting” to offer their seat to someone. I was in Moscow riding their subway and I found this one of my favorite people watching experiences.

An elderly woman (late 80’s - 90 years old) looking like a bubushka doll gets on the train. A man and woman in their late twenties early thirties jumping up and down trying to figure out who gets to give up their seat. The dude finally “wins.”

The elderly woman, who must have seen a lot in Russia over the last 90 years, starts beaming...”spasiba, spasiba (thank you, thank you...) “ one of the few words in Russian that I know. She continues on and I have no idea what she is actually saying, but I’m translating her body language...”it’s so nice to be treated kindly by wonderful young people. Your parents must be so proud of you. Our future is in good hands. Thank you for your kindness.”

Both millenials were blushing and smiling. The old lady stops talking but her smile doesn’t fade. The millenials go back to their phones... moments later, they both look up and catch each other’s eye. Big smiles on both faces. The old lady’s smile beams even brighter.

I have no idea how this story ended. I got off the train and that was the last I would ever see of them. My guess is that the two millenials fell in love and lived happily ever after. If not, that’s ok. What’s important is that this small act of kindness had great value to everyone who was a witness. I don’t see this in California very often. Let’s start a trend.

Kindness is a very attractive quality.

i don't know if it's the norm in russia. maybe it is. here in san francisco, i see it. though i'd say it's probably not as common as in russia. just a guess. the front seats in buses in san francisco are designated for the elderly and disabled. there are also times when a bus is packed, and all the front seats are taken by older people, and there are some unwilling participants in the normal seats to give their seats up. i'm usually standing, so i don't have a option lol.

Man I fucking despise it when I hold a door open for a woman and they dont say thank you...i usually just shout your welcome to those cunts.

Note- did this in dublin before to two teenage girls, after i shouted youre welcome one turned round and said “fuck off”

I only due for elderly and pregnant women. I will never do it for a millenial Women ever again. I thought I would do the nice thing and this bitch insulted me. Got nasty asking why I thought she “needed” a seat and couldn’t stand. Then asked what my motives were. I simply said my stop is coming up and I thought I would be polite, I didn’t realize you would get upset at a nice gesture. She wouldn’t stop so at my stop I yelled “ Whoever ends up with you must have some real shit Karma due to him”. My biggest regret is not calling her a cunt.

I'll give up my seat to pregnant and elderly but only if they don't look like welfare that's about it

Recently I had an ex con come around door to door trying to sell dusters, scissor etc. He had rolling luggage with his shit in, cheap as fuck but clean clothes, no car and we're a long way outta town. I didn't need anything, he said he'd had a terrible day and said he'd take a fiver for anything but I declined. He was very polite bit I could see it wearing on him as packed his shit and left.

I watched out of the window as he got turned away by a few of my neighbours. I respected his manners in the face of a doomed enterprise. I found some change that amounted to a fiver and when he came back down the street, went and gave it to him, then offered him a lift back to town.

I've realised as of late that I've been more and more inward looking and that I need to reach out and help people more. This was a good start and I've started to feel like im back on track a little.

Elderly, disabled or pregnant sure. Some random ho? Hell naw.

Southern boy, here. I give up my seat to a lady, the elderly, a kid or to someone who is obviously having a tough time. It's called being a gentleman and it's always the right thing to do.

This proud Southern Gentleman (Georgia) seconds this.

I don't sit down on trains unless the car is damn near empty. I prefer to stand.

Anyway, here's a Keanu Reeves YT vid:

Keanu just didn't want to sit next to explosive Waylon Smithers

Eldery or disabled looking people, sure. Healthy looking women can stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back