Oblivian's Adaptations

I'm at work at the moment and starting thinking about new goals. Here they are as follows:
Bench: 250 lbs.
Front Squat: 225
Power Cleans: 235
Deadlift: 300 lbs (all of the weight I have)
100 Burpee Time: Under 7 minutes
Pullups: 15
2 mile run: 13 minutes

Friday I took as a day off, then yesterday I was out of town until the evening. I attempted the 100 burpee challenge but got some major heartburn during it (I ate authentic mexican and spaghetti that day). I normally do the challenge in a tabata format. I realized I was gassing majorly compared to when I did it in the summer. However, my muscles felt fine, which the endurance in my legs used to be the problem.

I think I'm going to cut down on the Bas Rutten workouts and do a 5 minute tabata of burpees in it's place. I'm going to try to start tomorrow and do only 5 per 20 second period. This will only be 50 at the end. I figure once I can do 7 per 5 minute interval, I will need to try to do eight the next time and keep going if I only get 6 or 7 towards the end to reach my 100 burpees in 7 minutes goal.

Sunday:
Throughout the day I stretched 3 different times for around 15 minutes at a time. I just wanted to get that out of the way first before I forgot.

Heavy Bag:
5 rounds at 3 minutes. I really stepped up the intensity by doing punchouts a few times in the rounds. I usually worked on keeping technique sharp while keeping a fast paced, but until my cardio feels very strong again, I'm going to really concentrate on intensity. Between rounds 4 and 5, I didn't really feel like I caught my breath at all.

Running:
Ran 2 miles in around 15 minutes (I didn't keep exact time). I actually run on a trail where I go a mile then turn around. Next time I plan on running at a moderate pace the first mile then do interval sprints on the way back.

Assistance Lifts (Light Lifting)
Close Grip Bench: 2 x 10 @ 155 lbs
Upright Rows: 2 x 10 @ 100 lbs
Reverse Curls: 2 x 10 @ 50 lbs
Tricep Kickbacks: 2 x 10 @ 20 lbs dumbell (each arm)

Upper Body Circuit: 3 rounds of 8 reps at 50 lbs of the following

Upright Rows
Seated Overhead Press
Tricep Extension
Curls
Pushups x 20
Dips x 15
Crunches x 100
Leg Raises x 25

Push day:
I wanted to try to test my limits on Bench and Front Squats. I normally try to get all reps with maybe one failure, but I today I felt like really pushing myself. I'll list only the amount of reps I completed.

Bench:
205 lbs x 5, 210 lbs x 5, 215 lbs x 3

Front Squat:
185 lbs x 5, 185 lbs x 4, 185 lbs x 4

Seated Overhead Press:
120 lbs x 5, 130 lbs x 4, 120 lbs x 5

Tricep Extension:
90 lbs x 5, 90 lbs x 5, 90 lbs x 5

Crunches 4 x 100
Leg Raises 4 x 25

I'm going to do a 5 minute tabata with 5 burpees per 20 second period for a total of 50 burpees. I'll report how that goes tomorrow morning. It should be easy so I can work my conditioning back up for the 100 burpee challenge. My goal is under 7 minutes. I plan to do 8 burpees per 20 second period.

Wednesday:
Heavy Bag: 5 rounds at 3 minutes with focus more on conditioning than technique. A lot of punchouts and sprawls.

I skateboarded yesterday when I got home from work. I ended up putting a rock/pebble in my hand which is now a big hole. I don't know how the rest of the week will go because of that.

Pull Day with the hole in my hand (I cut it short):
Deadlift:
255 lbs x 5 x 3 sets

Power Cleans:
Only did one set due to my hand at 185 lbs. I only got out 4 then decided cleans were a bad idea.

Bent Over Rows:
135 lbs x 5 x 3 sets

Barbell Curls:
This lift hurt the most. Serves me right eh? I only did one set of 5 at 100 lbs.

Crunches: 3 sets of 100
Decline Leg Raises: 3 sets of 25 lbs.

Deadlifts wear me out too much for cleans I believe. I think I will start doing pullups on 3 x 5 days and upright rows on 3 x 3 days instead of cleans. I will then do cleans on either Saturday or Sunday on my assistance lift day.

Saturday: I still have the hole in my hand. I wanted to try to get my cleans in but only did two sets. I did one on Thursday so it works out I guess. It still hurts like hell.

Morning:
15 minute stretch
10 minutes jump rope
Five 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag.

Rest for a little over an hour then Power Cleans + Assistance Lifts as follows:
Power Cleans: 2 sets of 5 at 185 lbs.
Close Grip 1 second pause Bench: 2 sets of 10 at 160 lbs
Reverse Curls: 2 sets of 10 at 50 lbs
Tricep Kickbacks: 2 sets of 10 at 20 lbs each arm

4 sets of 100 crunches
4 sets of 25 leg raises

Afternoon:
2 mile run
About 30 minutes of "intense" stretching

Deadlifts wear me out too much for cleans I believe. I think I will start doing pullups on 3 x 5 days and upright rows on 3 x 3 days instead of cleans. I will then do cleans on either Saturday or Sunday on my assistance lift day.

Think of Cleans as a DE Deadlift. The Bottom portion of the lift is essentially a speed pull, followed by a power shrug. It's not wise to DL heavy every week. You can alternate between the two there is a great deal of carry over.

Where did you learn to clean so well?

Think of Cleans as a DE Deadlift. The Bottom portion of the lift is essentially a speed pull, followed by a power shrug. It's not wise to DL heavy every week. You can alternate between the two there is a great deal of carry over.

Where did you learn to clean so well?

I took weightlifting in high school for 2 years. I got really involved my senior year when I weighed much less than now and cleans was my best lift. I actually was doing around 215 lbs at around 145 lbs body weight. We focused a lot on hang cleans as well. We didn't deadlift however. Also, I've been told I can upright row a lot more weight than people would expect compared to my other lifts. I think that may have a factor in it as well.

Maybe I will switch out between cleans and deadlifts every couple weeks on pull day. I was going to switch to more of a 3 day split with cleans on the weekend with my light lifting day. I may still switch around and do something like that but lift lighter with more volume on deadlifts one week. Also, instead of power cleans, I'll hang clean some weeks to switch it up. Any ideas?

Sunday:
Morning:
Stretched for about 20 minutes
Burpees: 5 minute tabata with 5 each 20 second round. Total of 50 burpees.

Rested for a while then:
Boxing Technique: 6 five minute rounds
In between round: 5 pullups (total of 6 sets), 10 ab wheel rollouts (total of 6 sets)

Afternoon:
Stretched again for about 20 minutes

Circuit - 60 lbs, 3 rounds of the following while switching order each round
Upright Rows
Overhead Press
Tricep Extension
Curls
Pushups (x 25)
Dips (x 15)
Crunches (x 100)
Leg Raises (x 25)

I took weightlifting in high school for 2 years. I got really involved my senior year when I weighed much less than now and cleans was my best lift. I actually was doing around 215 lbs at around 145 lbs body weight. We focused a lot on hang cleans as well. We didn't deadlift however. Also, I've been told I can upright row a lot more weight than people would expect compared to my other lifts. I think that may have a factor in it as well.

Maybe I will switch out between cleans and deadlifts every couple weeks on pull day. I was going to switch to more of a 3 day split with cleans on the weekend with my light lifting day. I may still switch around and do something like that but lift lighter with more volume on deadlifts one week. Also, instead of power cleans, I'll hang clean some weeks to switch it up. Any ideas?

You should probably not squat and DL heavy in the same week. On weeks you don't DL heavy Cleans are a great substitute. On weeks you do DL, Hang cleans are a suitable assistance exercise (though best on a different day).

However, looking at your DL compared to your PC you might get a lot of benefit from speed pulls. Basically a DL just pulling as fast as you can with about 60% of your max. 8 sets of 3. Your cleans are using so much weight that you aren't getting the best DE work on the bottom portion. Splitting your non maximal pull work into SP and Hang Cleans I think would do you a lot of good.

Monday:
Typically today is a day off but it was also a day off from work. I got bored so I did the following.

A lot of stretching. Probably a total of about an hour throughout the day.
Bas Rutten three five minute rounds of thai boxing
Burpees: Maximum I could do straight through = 30
Jump Rope: 20 minutes or so

You should probably not squat and DL heavy in the same week. On weeks you don't DL heavy Cleans are a great substitute. On weeks you do DL, Hang cleans are a suitable assistance exercise (though best on a different day).

However, looking at your DL compared to your PC you might get a lot of benefit from speed pulls. Basically a DL just pulling as fast as you can with about 60% of your max. 8 sets of 3. Your cleans are using so much weight that you aren't getting the best DE work on the bottom portion. Splitting your non maximal pull work into SP and Hang Cleans I think would do you a lot of good.

Interesting. I am going to play around with drawing up a routine today at work. I also was thinking how I need to do lighter squats with more volume sometime. Today is push day. I'm thinking I will stay heavy on it today and then alter my pull day to lighter weight to see how I like it. Then on Saturday or Sunday when I do cleans, I'll keep that heavy. Then when next week rolls around, Push day will be light on squats, then a heavy pull day, then a light clean day. Sounds like I'm rambling huh?

Here is my new lifting routine split into two weeks:

Week A​

Push (TUESDAY): Bench Press: 3 x 3
Front Squat: 3 x 3
Seated OHP: 2 x 8
Tricep Extension: 2 x 8

Pull (THURSDAY): Deadlift 3 x 8
Upright Rows 3 x 3
Bent Over Rows 2 x 8
Curls 3 x 3

Cleans + Odd Assistant Lifts: Power Cleans 3 x 3
Close Grip Bench 2 x 10
Dips 2 x to failure
Chin Ups 2 x to failure

Week B​

Push (TUESDAY): Bench Press 3 x 5
Front Squat 3 x 8
Seated Overhead Press 3 x 3
Tricep Extension 2 x 8

Pull (THURSDAY): Deadlift 3 x 3
Bent Over Row: 3 x 5
Pullups: 2 x to failure
Curls: 3 x 5

Cleans and Odd Assistant Lifts (SAT. or SUN): Power Cleans: 3 x 5
Close Grip Bench 2 x 10
Dips 2 x to failure
Chin Ups 2 x to failure

Today was a good day...

Bench Press: 210 lbs x 3, 215 lbs x 3, 220 lbs x 3
Front Squat: 190 lbs x 3, 195 lbs x 3, 195 lbs x 3
Seated Overhead Press: 110 lbs x 8 (2 sets)
Tricep Extension: 80 lbs x 8 (2 sets)

Crunches: 4 sets of 100
Decline Leg Raises: 4 sets of 25

Later in the night: 2 mile run

I took Wednesday off. Yesterday was Pull Day as follows:

Deadlift (lighter with focus on speed and form): 205 lbs x 8, 215 lbs x 8, 225 lbs x 8
Upright Row: 130 lbs x 3 x 3 sets
Bent Over Row: 130 lbs x 8 x 2 sets
Dumbell Curls: 50 lbs x 3 x 3 sets (each arm)

Crunches: 4 x 100
Decline Leg Raises: 4 x 25

I took the night off as I still felt sore.

Yesterday I switched up and did something different while watching tv. I was debating on taking the day off but I wanted to do something.
Stretch = 15 minutes
Ab Wheel Rollouts = 4 sets of 20
Burpees = I wanted to see how many I could do in a row. I stopped at 25.
I did 20 reps of the following combo: jab, right cross, sprawl, left knee, right knee
Body Weight Squats = I did 25 straight. Legs were hurting from deadlifts.

So far today:
Morning: Stretched for about 15 minutes
five 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag

Before Lunch:
Stretch another 15 minutes
Power Cleans: 195 lbs x 3, 195 lbs x 3, 200 lbs x 3
Close Grip Bench: 160 lbs x 10 x 2 sets
Chin ups - 1 x 10 (failure), 1 x 9 (failure)
Dips - 2 x 25

Crunches - 4 x 100
Leg Raises - 4 x 25

I plan on doing a 5 minute tabata burpee. I'm going for 6 burpees per 20 second period for a total of 60 burpees in 5 minutes.

I was able to pull off the tabata burpees I was talking about above. I am going to try to pull out 7 next time which would be 70 in 5 minutes. I figure if I can do 8 per 20 second interval, my 100 burpee time would be a little over 6 minutes which is outstanding. I'm also going to consistently try to up how many I can do in a row. So far I'm at 25. I'm shooting for 30 by the end of a couple weeks.

Back