Objectively, Is Conor McGregor the greatest MMA fighter of all time?

giphy.gif

To preface this, I’m not trying to be deliberately controversial nor am I nothing but indifferent as it relates to Conor Mcregor. I also recognise that trying to discern ‘the greatest’ is very elementary and somewhat inherently nihilistic in practice, as we are devaluing existence as it pertains to the future. Primarily, I’m not as much claiming greatness; but rather understanding briefly the methodology behind how we reach a consensus for defining it within MMA and sports in general. Short answer, we don’t - not consciously anyway.

To comprehensively analyse the fundamentals of this line of questioning, we must first understand the established methods in how we as a community approach the phrase ‘Greatest of All Time’. Traditionally, our methods are coated with subjectivity as we compartmentalise and evaluate explicit metrics, or a checklist of requirements that are nothing more than symbolistic and can’t truly be concrete nor tangible. Not universally anyway.

In this sense, ‘greatness’ is an objectively overwhelming, subconscious commandeering feeling throughout an entity and its anthropology. Objectively, this is Conor McGregor to MMA.
Objectively you shouldnt be allowed to make threads.

I’m only talking MMA. My apologies if I didn’t make it clear

Claiming someone is the GOAT because they made the most $$$ is objectively flawed.

Sure, you're focused on the "prize," but you're ignoring the "fighter."

I don't. I think he's smarter than you though.

That's just because you don't understand the words he's using, and therefore can't see how terrible his command of language is.

But then again, you fell for a marketing gimmick cutting tons of weight to fight smaller men.
usa-today-8688451.0.jpg

You know exactly what your doing. I’ve been here a day and know people don’t rate McGregor that highly.

As a “Prize fighter”
He’s the greatest but in terms MMA he isn’t the greatest.
How's it feel to lie like that, newguysnm1? Do you think you're fooling anyone with this, pretending to be "new"?

Man it’s like some of you guys find creative ways to be more stupid...

<{chips}>

This will make these words seem important..

All you do is to shit on fighters.. you are the worst join date to post ratio poster on this site..

Insert triggering gif/picture..

He isnt the greatest fighter.
He is the most succesfull fighter.

That's just because you don't understand the words he's using, and therefore can't see how terrible his command of language is.

Why not directly respond to the points articulated instead of continuously throwing low-ball jabs that are clearly coming from a place of intimidation.

He's one of the most underrated on Sherdog. People can't see past their hate for him. He's not even close to GOAT status.

Why not directly respond to the points articulated instead of continuously throwing low-ball jabs that are clearly coming from a place of intimidation.

.500 at his actual weight

Never defended a title

Hasn't won since Obama was president

The fuck else do you need, mate?

NO WAY! If he wouldn't have fought Mayweather and made all that money, he might have been on his way to greatest ever. The money took away his hunger though.:(

This will make these words seem important..

All you do is to shit on fighters.. you are the worst join date to post ratio poster on this site..

Insert triggering gif/picture..

Coming from an idiot who calls Conor Mcgregor the greatest FIGHTER of all times and names accomplishments NOT RELATED to fighting, I would take your post as a compliment.

<5>

To preface this, I’m not trying to be deliberately controversial nor am I nothing but indifferent as it relates to Conor Mcregor. I also recognise that trying to discern ‘the greatest’ is very elementary and somewhat inherently nihilistic in practice, as we are devaluing existence as it pertains to the future. Primarily, I’m not as much claiming greatness; but rather understanding briefly the methodology behind how we reach a consensus for defining it within MMA and sports in general. Short answer, we don’t - not consciously anyway.

To comprehensively analyse the fundamentals of this line of questioning, we must first understand the established methods in how we as a community approach the phrase ‘Greatest of All Time’. Traditionally, our methods are coated with subjectivity as we compartmentalise and evaluate explicit metrics, or a checklist of requirements that are nothing more than symbolistic and can’t truly be concrete nor tangible. Not universally anyway.

In this sense, ‘greatness’ is an objectively overwhelming, subconscious commandeering feeling throughout an entity and its anthropology. Objectively, this is Conor McGregor to MMA.
Your perceived objectivity is tainted with subjectivity.

If he staid at 145Ib he might have been 1 day but he's the greatest MMA fighter at the moment regarding pay, he basically came from nothing and worked his way up, he's not Brock Lesnar that came with his own fan's.

I will say that if he wasn't an Irish fighter, he wouldn't have gotten even half the money or fame and the Mayweather fight wouldn't have happened......... Right person, right time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back