Elections NYT shows no courage; endorses Warren and Klobuchar

Warren is a pathological liar and a clear sociopath. She has no morals. Her positions are fluid and based on nothing but what will gain her an advantage at that moment. The only constant about her is her lying.

Bernie is authentic. He has at least been consistently wrong for his entire career. He should move to Venezuela to realize his American Dream.

Maybe it's representative of the Democrats' division and inability to rally around a candidate.

hi there Ruprecht,

if the party or the electorate itself is torn...i get that.

the NYT editorial page? its gutless. why not just endorse Mrs. Warren?

it reeks of them covering their bets with a non-controversial alternative from the "middle".

- IGIT

Serious question.

Do they want Trump to win?

These endorsements are bizarre.

hiya bobby,

lets be realistic; to you and others who respond in this manner - or state that "the NYT didn't have a choice, just look at all the lousy candidates", you'd have dogged the nominee anyway.

that's not where i'm headed with the OP, though.

*sighs*

i just expected a great deal more from the NYT. like another poster said, why even bother with an endorsement if this is how they are going to go about it?

- IGIT

NYT should have endorsed Bernie.

hi there franklinstower,

i thought they might.

their coverage of him, in this election cycle, has been pretty even handed.

Maureen Dowd (who seems to dislike anyone that isn't named "Maureen Dowd") even gave Mr. Sanders high marks after the last debate.

as it turns it, the NYT basically didn't endorse anyone. oh, and they gave lip service to ME2.

- IGIT

ahoy my friends!

i like the New York Times. i've read it pretty much daily for decades - its got great reporting and they are one of the last American dailies that still has news decks around the planet.

they've made their endorsement - i think its a big deal - and i feel very letdown.

the broadsheet with "all the news fit to print" has endorsed both Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klochubar.

*sigh*

has the NYT ever nominated two individuals for a parties nomination for POTUS?

the editorial board showed absolutely no balls, no courage, and no conviction. this was their rationale for nominating not one, but two candidates;

Both the radical and the realist models warrant serious consideration. If there were ever a time to be open to new ideas, it is now. If there were ever a time to seek stability, now is it.

That’s why we’re endorsing the most effective advocates for each approach.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...har-elizabeth-warren-nytimes-endorsement.html

this is just incredibly annoying to me. in 2016 the paper might have felt left behind by the dawning of the "Bernie" era for the Democratic party, as they hoisted up their Clinton banner for yet another centrist run. in 2020, i was curious if the editorial page would back the progressive arm of the party.

well, now i know the answer.

they split the difference, covering their bets, with a irritating nod to the Me2 movement, nominating both Klochubar and Warren.

this isn't really a knock on either candidate. i can see the appeal in either of them - but they are very different candidates, policywise.

a gutless endorsement.

i am surprised they didn't back Joe Biden. if they'd endorsed Warren over Biden, and left it at that - they'd have been actually making a statement.

- IGIT

Among republicans in 2016 you had the "Never Trumper's".

Among democrats in 2020 you have the "Anyone But Bernie's".

Don't think the endorsement of not one but two female candidates wasn't a blatant broadside at Sanders for allegedly saying that a woman couldn't win the general in 2020.

If Kamala were still in the race the NYT would have made it a three way endorsement.

(Note: They were forced to leave Tulsi out because she is a Russian asset.)

Aren't you a centrist?

hello and good afternoon JudoThrowFiasco,

i am an IGIT.

i wanted Joe Biden to receive the NYT nomination. Biden's campaign - while still leading nationally - could use a bit of wind in its sails.

- IGIT

Hahahah!

So far all of my predictions for 2020 have come true. Dems can’t rally around a candidate. Bernie is getting shafted (Again) and now for my final one, we just wait for Trump to win.

Warren is a pathological liar and a clear sociopath. She has no morals. Her positions are fluid and based on nothing but what will gain her an advantage at that moment. The only constant about her is her lying.

Bernie is authentic. He has at least been consistently wrong for his entire career. He should move to Venezuela to realize his American Dream.

hi lifelessheap,

Pathological liar

Clear sociopath

No morals

*winces*

Elizabeth Warren, she of the homey grandmaw and grandpaw anecdotes of a wholesome, but hardscrabble life in Oklahoma is all these terrible things?

she sounds very, very horrible.

i'd like to get a sense of proportion and scale as to how gruesome Mrs. Warren is; is she worse than Hillary? i'm asking because, by golly, she sounds even worse than Hillary!

-
IGIT

It was very brave, bold, and powerful of them to choose the two women in the race. This is bigger than policy, guys.

#Timesup
Gosh and right after Bernie said that awful stuff about women not being president. This will surely compel women to get out there and vote to fight this injustice.

These are serious people who should be taken seriously

"... explaining that he did not yet have positions on enough issues..."

So why did you decide to run for president Mr.Bloomberg? Could it really be just a naked attempt at chasing power for its own sake? Say it ain't so...

hi ho ultra!

Among republicans in 2016 you had the "Never Trumper's".

aye, that's true.

Among democrats in 2020 you have the "Anyone But Bernie's".

maybe in other quarters...but i didn't get the sense that this is was what swung the NYT's decision making process.

Don't think the endorsement of not one but two female candidates wasn't a blatant broadside at Sanders for allegedly saying that a woman couldn't win the general in 2020.

i think that had nothing at all to do with the paper's endorsement - though i do believe there was a degree of ME2 sentiment involved.

- IGIT

hello and good afternoon JudoThrowFiasco,

i am an IGIT.

i wanted Joe Biden to receive the NYT nomination. Biden's campaign - while still leading nationally - could use a bit of wind in its sails.

- IGIT

I'm sorry, I don't know what an igit is.

But if you look at recent polling in Iowa, NJ, Florida, California you will see he's getting a boost. Nate Silver has his odds at 43% today...which I know bernbots and trumpers will scoff at, but they don't have any meaningful metric analysis of their own.

Hahahah!

So far all of my predictions for 2020 have come true. Dems can’t rally around a candidate. Bernie is getting shafted (Again) and now for my final one, we just wait for Trump to win.

hiya Sketch,

in terms of the Democrats not rallying around a candidate - can we wait at least until maybe Iowa has its caucuses...maybe even wait until Super Tuesday?

the primaries haven't even begun - lol.

- IGIT

hi lifelessheap,

Pathological liar

Clear sociopath

No morals

*winces*

Elizabeth Warren, she of the homey grandmaw and grandpaw anecdotes of a wholesome, but hardscrabble life in Oklahoma is all these terrible things?

she sounds very, very horrible.

i'd like to get a sense of proportion and scale as to how gruesome Mrs. Warren is; is she worse than Hillary? i'm asking because, by golly, she sounds even worse than Hillary!

-
IGIT
Is there a difference? I can't tell which one is which.

iu

I'm sorry, I don't know what an igit is.

But if you look at recent polling in Iowa, NJ, Florida, California you will see he's getting a boost. Nate Silver has his odds at 43% today...which I know bernbots and trumpers will scoff at, but they don't have any meaningful metric analysis of their own.

ahoy thar JudoThrowFiasco,

i haven't followed the polling on a day to day basis. i was just aware that Mr. Biden still was looking good nationally and that he is bulletproof in South Carolina.

it just seems like all the excitement is still with the progressive platform. Mr. Biden's national strength is a comfort to me - i just wish there could be a bit of buzz around his campaign.

- IGIT

hiya bobby,

lets be realistic; to you and others who respond in this manner - or state that "the NYT didn't have a choice, just look at all the lousy candidates", you'd have dogged the nominee anyway.

that's not where i'm headed with the OP, though.

*sighs*

i just expected a great deal more from the NYT. like another poster said, why even bother with an endorsement if this is how they are going to go about it?

- IGIT

I’m dead serious with the question.

Warren? Isn’t she the one doing worst out of the top 3 against Trump? And I haven’t seen anyone talking about AK. These two have the least chance of winning.

When you weigh this against the massive amount of $ they make from Trump, what else makes since besides them just being all out vote for a vagina?

And by the way your first point is dead wrong, mayor Pete is extremely politically talented, and if he were the candidate I would be very worried about Republican chances in the general. He would absolutely slay Trump in the debates.

ahoy thar JudoThrowFiasco,

i haven't followed the polling on a day to day basis. i was just aware that Mr. Biden still was looking good nationally and that he is bulletproof in South Carolina.

it just seems like all the excitement is still with the progressive platform. Mr. Biden's national strength is a comfort to me - i just wish there could be a bit of buzz around his campaign.

- IGIT

Income earners, actual income tax payers, educated, and people 35 plus dont buzz. They just show up to vote.

Back