Elections NYT shows no courage; endorses Warren and Klobuchar

IGIT

Silver Belt
Reaction score
ahoy my friends!

i like the New York Times. i've read it pretty much daily for decades - its got great reporting and they are one of the last American dailies that still has news decks around the planet.

they've made their endorsement - i think its a big deal - and i feel very letdown.

the broadsheet with "all the news fit to print" has endorsed both Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klochubar.

*sigh*

has the NYT ever nominated two individuals for a parties nomination for POTUS?

the editorial board showed absolutely no balls, no courage, and no conviction. this was their rationale for nominating not one, but two candidates;

Both the radical and the realist models warrant serious consideration. If there were ever a time to be open to new ideas, it is now. If there were ever a time to seek stability, now is it.

That’s why we’re endorsing the most effective advocates for each approach.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...har-elizabeth-warren-nytimes-endorsement.html

this is just incredibly annoying to me. in 2016 the paper might have felt left behind by the dawning of the "Bernie" era for the Democratic party, as they hoisted up their Clinton banner for yet another centrist run. in 2020, i was curious if the editorial page would back the progressive arm of the party.

well, now i know the answer.

they split the difference, covering their bets, with a irritating nod to the Me2 movement, nominating both Klochubar and Warren.

this isn't really a knock on either candidate. i can see the appeal in either of them - but they are very different candidates, policywise.

a gutless endorsement.

i am surprised they didn't back Joe Biden. if they'd endorsed Warren over Biden, and left it at that - they'd have been actually making a statement.

- IGIT

These are serious people who should be taken seriously

These are serious people who should be taken seriously

heya blottstein,

i didn't watch their interviews that they conducted with the candidates, but i read the transcripts - they seemed to be done pretty well, to be honest. deep dives into policy, the reality of governance, with a little "human interest" stuff thrown in.

you should check'm out. i thought they were good pieces.

i'm just pretty bummed about their editorial board.

- IGIT

It seems the only point ended up being to make people wonder "... what was the point...?"

It was very brave, bold, and powerful of them to choose the two women in the race. This is bigger than policy, guys.

#Timesup

heya blottstein,

i didn't watch their interviews that they conducted with the candidates, but i read the transcripts - they seemed to be done pretty well, to be honest. deep dives into policy, the reality of governance, with a little "human interest" stuff thrown in.

you should check'm out. i thought they were good pieces.

i'm just pretty bummed about their editorial board.

- IGIT
I sincerely appreciate the suggestion, do you have a link handy to the transcripts?

Well really, who are they going to endorse? Biden doesn’t know what year it is or where he is half the time. The DNC won’t let any MSM outlet endorse Sanders, so they are left with these two.

Democrats just don’t have any good candidates this year. You all should’ve spent the last 4 years preparing for this instead of going full TDS.

Question - is this endorsement bought or is it issued for favors?

Because Klobuchar really hasn't had any momentum or heat, and I didn't think Warren had a significantly large war chest.

I'm surprised they didn't endorse B$L$O$O$M$B$E$R$G$

And it's by sheer coincidence, I'm sure, that they're backing the only women in the race.
I would sort of have expected them to throw the gay guy a bone (pun unintended), but I guess the gay crowd has lost a bit of PC capital.

It was very brave, bold, and powerful of them to choose the two women in the race. This is bigger than policy, guys.

#Timesup

hiya HereticBD,

they didn't make a policy choice, that's for sure. they picked "both policies". lol.

gutless.

- IGIT

#Timesup
#womanareourFuture

NYT is past redemption.. last few years have been garbage.

I sincerely appreciate the suggestion, do you have a link handy to the transcripts?

heya blottstein,

sure, i'll link'm when i get back this afternoon.

you can only read a few of them, and you'll hit the NYT paywall.

the one with Mr. Sanders was interesting. mostly policy, but a good bit on his governing style.

even the personal stuff was kinda illuminating. here's a bit of it;

NYT: Fair enough, fair enough. What’s an app on your phone that you have that might surprise people?

Sanders: Nothing.

NYT: Do you feel like you have the same relationship to technology as most Americans of your age, or do you feel that you’ve been sort of isolated by that

Sanders: Given the fact that I have more social media followers than maybe all of my opponents combined, I guess we’re doing something right on that. What I have recognized is the importance of it. I’ve recognize the importance of being able to communicate directly with 10 million people every single day, which is what we do. Not as much as Trump does, but we do it.
I’m not going to sit here and tell you that I am a geek, I’m not.

NYT: One last thing from me, what is it — this calls for you to be a little self-critical. What are you likely to fail at or to do poorly as president?

Sanders: Talk to The New York Times. [LAUGHTER]
Look, I don’t tolerate [expletive] terribly well, and I come from a different background than a lot of other people who run the country. I’m not good at backslapping. I’m not good at pleasantries. If you have your birthday, I’m not going to call you up to congratulate you, so you’ll love me and you’ll write nice things about me.

That’s not what I do. Never have. I take that as a little bit of a criticism, self-criticism. I have been amazed at how many people respond to, “Happy Birthday!” “Oh Bernie, thanks so much for calling.” It works. It’s just not my style. I try to stay focused on the important issues facing working families in this country, and I fight for them.

its a good read.

- IGIT

Last edited:
What would they do if there were only women running?

Question - is this endorsement bought or is it issued for favors?

Because Klobuchar really hasn't had any momentum or heat, and I didn't think Warren had a significantly large war chest.

I'm surprised they didn't endorse B$L$O$O$M$B$E$R$G$

Warren is considered the far left candidate that the party can live with. Klobuchar is the functioning moderate alternative because even the Times realizes that Biden is sundowning.

And Bloomberg told them he didn't havr positions on all the issues yet -- waiting on focus group answers.

heya blottstein,

sure, i'll link'm when i get back this afternoon.

you can only read a few of them, and you'll hit the NYT paywall.

the one with Mr. Sanders was interesting. mostly policy, but a good bit on his governing style.

even the personal stuff was kinda illuminating.

NYT: Fair enough, fair enough. What’s an app on your phone that you have that might surprise people?

Sanders: Nothing.

NYT: Do you feel like you have the same relationship to technology as most Americans of your age, or do you feel that you’ve been sort of isolated by that

Sanders: Given the fact that I have more social media followers than maybe all of my opponents combined, I guess we’re doing something right on that. What I have recognized is the importance of it. I’ve recognize the importance of being able to communicate directly with 10 million people every single day, which is what we do. Not as much as Trump does, but we do it.
I’m not going to sit here and tell you that I am a geek, I’m not.

NYT: One last thing from me, what is it — this calls for you to be a little self-critical. What are you likely to fail at or to do poorly as president?

Sanders: Talk to The New York Times. [LAUGHTER]
Look, I don’t tolerate [expletive] terribly well, and I come from a different background than a lot of other people who run the country. I’m not good at backslapping. I’m not good at pleasantries. If you have your birthday, I’m not going to call you up to congratulate you, so you’ll love me and you’ll write nice things about me.

That’s not what I do. Never have. I take that as a little bit of a criticism, self-criticism. I have been amazed at how many people respond to, “Happy Birthday!” “Oh Bernie, thanks so much for calling.” It works. It’s just not my style. I try to stay focused on the important issues facing working families in this country, and I fight for them.

its a good read.

- IGIT

I need to take a break from politics because I read this in his voice.

Warren???

<Dany07>

Bernie bros, it’s time to burn the system down.

Maybe it's representative of the Democrats' division and inability to rally around a candidate.

Serious question.

Do they want Trump to win?

These endorsements are bizarre.

Back