Law NYPD to use drones to monitor backyard parties , barbecues etc..this weekend

- NY cops:

FB_IMG_1469284818982.jpg

People still think this country is a democracy by and for the people? The government and their financiers make all of the rules, and they don't make them for your benefit. The police aren't there to protect you, they're there to do the bidding of government and the wealthy.

A police helicopter is not going to be used to snoop on countless parties, because it costs way too dam much.

And drones can be used to snoop on multiple parties at the same time.

Way to buzz-kill the holidays,NYPD...

I think we should to do better than empty platitudes if we are going to handicap them while everything else is being advanced. Might as well disarm them and send in the social workers if that is the mentality.

The ramifications from these actions by the "authorities" could potentially lead us to a future where privacy becomes scarce or possibly forbidden

If a slippery slope truly exists, then what's at the bottom isn't going to be fun

Last edited:
The ramafications from these actions by the "authorities" could potentially lead us to a future where privacy becomes scarce or possibly forbidden

If a slippery slope truly exists, then what's at the bottom isn't going to be fun

I agree that is something to watch for and guard against, but is that really a more pressing issue than the current situation where police are stretched to the breaking point and different types of crimes are going unpunished? On the other side of the hill is another slope with like central american levels of crime and social disorder at the bottom. Criminals are getting more sophisticated and organized the police need to be able to keep up.

I agree that is something to watch for and guard against, but is that really a more pressing issue than the current situation where police are stretched to the breaking point and different types of crimes are going unpunished? On the other side of the hill is another slope with like central american levels of crime and social disorder at the bottom. Criminals are getting more sophisticated and organized the police need to be able to keep up.

The issue highlighted in the OP doesn't address reducing crime or how sophisticated the police "need to be" to combat actual crime. I'm all for having the technology available and at the ready but it has to be deployed in a sensible and responsible manner.

Flying drones around home dwellings hoping to catch a glimpse of a crime in progress at a backyard BBQ doesn't lessen crime. Even if it did the current trend of releasing career / violent criminals back onto the streets negates the positive impact such drone surveillance may have IMO.

They only get away with it because the complicit American public allows them to get away with it.

Think of how eroded our freedom and privacy has gotten since just the 90s? The government has a copy of any and every phone call, text message, online message or picture you have taken with your phone. Businesses also have a ton of this information and sell it to each other to profit off of us. But no one seems to give a shit as long as they "have nothing to hide". Cameras on every street corner and now on every person's door step that are really less about your own home protection and more about public surveillance through large corporations. License plate readers that map out all your driving habits and now drones that peek into your backyard and keep watch on you.

No one seems to give a shit and they keep voting in the same group of people who actively work against our own freedom and liberty.

The issue highlighted in the OP doesn't address reducing crime or how sophisticated the police "need to be" to combat actual crime. I'm all for having the technology available and at the ready but it has to be deployed in a sensible and responsible manner.

Flying drones around home dwellings hoping to catch a glimpse of a crime in progress at a backyard BBQ doesn't lessen crime. Even if it did the current trend of releasing career / violent criminals back onto the streets negates the positive impact such drone surveillance may have IMO.

It is not patrolling looking for crimes though, the article states they will be using them to respond to calls of reported large gatherings. Instead of sending an officer to every complaint like this you send a drone first to see if it is even worth the time. That is more effective resource management and it makes the police more efficient. It is not about arresting people or stopping crime.

It is not patrolling looking for crimes though, the article states they will be using them to respond to calls of reported large gatherings. Instead of sending an officer to every complaint like this you send a drone first to see if it is even worth the time. That is more effective resource management and it makes the police more efficient. It is not about arresting people or stopping crime.

If it's not there because of crime in progress, to find crime, or to deter crime why is it there? "Because large gathering" isn't a logical response to drone surveillance of American Citizens in violation of their Civil Right to privacy.

A right that is enumerated within article 17 of ICCPR (International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights ) which the US ratified and as successfully argued as a right afforded all citizens via the 14th Amendment.

If it's not there because of crime in progress, to find crime, or to deter crime why is it there? "Because large gathering" isn't a logical response to drone surveillance of American Citizens in violation of their Civil Right to privacy.

A right that is enumerated within article 17 of ICCPR (International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights ) which the US ratified and as successfully argued as a right afforded all citizens via the 14th Amendment.

Well I guess that would be up to a court to decide. I imagine the city has their legal reasoning as well and that they think precedent has been set for them to use arial surveillance for such a complaint.

Well I guess that would be up to a court to decide. I imagine the city has their legal reasoning as well and that they think precedent has been set for them to use arial surveillance for such a complaint.

NYPD needs to ask a Circuit Court or Constitutional lawyers if this is in violation of citizen's rights. I think that courts need to get ahead of this and those with the ability such as the ACLU should be on high alert or challenging this.

Those governing us have become far too comfortable spending our tax dollars to violate our rights then going "My bad" when someone with the time, money, and resources takes them to court setting them straight with little to no consequences to those that crafted the law, signed the bill, or performed the actions.

Why do they need to respond to a call about a party, unless there was a possible ordinance violation.

If you shoot down the pig drone you’ll be charged with murdering a police officer and the cops will have a funeral for the fallen drone complete with a procession of dozens of police cars and they’ll transport a flag draped box of busted ass drone parts to the cemetery.
They treat their drones with more respect than they do the average citizen on the street

Why do they need to respond to a call about a party, unless there was a possible ordinance violation.

All calls are for a possible violation. The point is they stated they will not be patrolling and "snooping on countless parties" as you claimed, but using them to confirm the presence of "large groups" after an official complaint has been lodged, and a request for police dispatch has been made. Nothing that a helicopter or officer on foot would not be able to ascertain.

Back