Law NYPD to use drones to monitor backyard parties , barbecues etc..this weekend

See this sounds great to me not gonna lie. They should have these things patrolling and tracking thieves and gang members and shit. Using them to disperse loiters up to no good or thwart crimes in progress or before they happen. Seems like this could really revolutionize policing. I'd like to give them these tools, but also keep a watchful eye knowing that it will be abused here and there like anything.

Give the government a hammer and everything starts to look like nail

Basically though, isn't this just the same as someone calling the police on their neighbours for having a noisy party? Instead of sending out actual officers, they'll send a drone instead?

outdoor parties are illegal in new york city? wtf?

how does that even work? i didn't figure they even have backyards. don't they all live in apartments and high-rises?

Last edited:
Basically though, isn't this just the same as someone calling the police on their neighbours for having a noisy party? Instead of sending out actual officers, they'll send a drone instead?

It's akin to officers attending the address and instead of speaking to the house holders, looking over the back fence observing for a while. I prefer the transparent door knock approach

I would just have a drone shooting party, and invite over my buddies that I shoot sporting clays with.

It's an intrusion of privacy and I'm wholeheartedly against it.

If you want to fly them over public gatherings that take place on public streets or over entertainment and sporting events with the consent of those that own or operate the venue I have no problem with that.

Flying over my yard to see what I'm doing? Hell no, GTFO with that nonsense.

I don't like the sound of this.

Unless there is a requirement on how high the have to be. Say 200 feet or more. Any closer then that should be trespassing.

- NYPD will use drones to monitor backyard parties / large gatherings this labor day weekend if anyone calls in and says there is a large gathering / party in such and such home.

---

New York police will use drones to monitor backyard parties this weekend, spurring privacy concerns

NEW YORK (AP) — Those attending outdoor parties or barbecues in New York City this weekend may notice an uninvited guest looming over their festivities: a police surveillance drone.

“If a caller states there’s a large crowd, a large party in a backyard, we’re going to be utilizing our assets to go up and go check on the party,” Kaz Daughtry, the assistant NYPD Commissioner, said at a press conference.

“It’s a troubling announcement and it flies in the face of the POST Act,” said Daniel Schwarz, a privacy and technology strategist at the New York Civil Liberties Union, referring to a 2020 city law that requires the NYPD to disclose its surveillance tactics. “Deploying drones in this way is a sci-fi inspired scenario.”

https://apnews.com/article/drones-labor-day-eric-adams-nypd-jouvert-c2787e87bcad8fa87aa8d34b454ee6cf

https://www.yahoo.com/news/york-police-drones-monitor-backyard-204341036.html

--

NYPD Deploys Drones to Monitor Weekend Parties

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/nyc-drone-surveillance/2023/08/31/id/1132828/

"If a caller states there's a large crowd, a large party in a backyard, we're going to be utilizing our assets to go up and go check on the party," reported the Washington Times.

--

How long before some start knocking the drones out ? With a large gathering, it may be hard to discern who took the 'shot'

Soon....

For those unruly house parties

The drone is the secondary issue, invasion of privacy, but the Karen’s being Karen’s and calling the cops for every little thing is the problem

Pervs... they are out checking for chicks tanning in the backyard

A police officer would need a warrant or probable cause to enter a home or the backyard. With drone tech they don't, and now can monitor countless people without ever having probable cause.

This is exactly the problem. Drone usage should need a warrant or probably cause, not be something used to get that

Give the government a hammer and everything starts to look like nail

I think we should to do better than empty platitudes if we are going to handicap them while everything else is being advanced.

Might as well disarm them and send in the social workers if that is the mentality.

A police helicopter is not going to be used to snoop on countless parties, because it costs way too dam much.

If they are wasting time on small non disruptive events they have not been called to, then I agree that is poor policing and unnecessarily intrusive.

Huge shakers that are about to spill out into the streets should probably be kept an eye on tho. I've been to many and they get out of hand quick.

Finally they're getting after the real problems. I'm tired of the NYPD wasting resources on BS like violent crime when they have bigger issues like what people are doing in the privacy of their own back yards.

Back