NY Times does a great piece on Canadian PM Stephen Harper

I don't agree with a lot of things Harper has done, but I'll still vote for the Conservatives over NDP or Liberal any day.

That's the other thing that bothers me. Trudeau has been in office for 7 years. Harper was in office for the cumulative total of 7 years and 3 months when he became PM. All of this "inexperienced", "empty suit", "no substance" bullshit just doesn't ring true for me at all.

Holy shit. That's a god damn amazing point.

That is pretty much exactly how I felt after hearing that add. Childish attack adds that are so pathetic they leave me rolling my eyes, and I had no interest in supporting the Liberals before them.

And yet, they clearly work, as all one needs to do is talk to or listen to a Federal Conservative Party supporter to hear those exact same statements repeated as arguments. Which is important for them, because the Con party doesn't really have ANY accomplishments on which to stand.

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at the original version, then they started adding in the ISIS references and the hair closer. I have a Poli Sci degree, I've heard tons of attack ads, many more vicious, but I can't remember one that made me roll my eyes out of my head so much. I mean, it just seems so disconnected from the things that matter to me.

I don't agree with a lot of things Harper has done, but I'll still vote for the Conservatives over NDP or Liberal any day.
Under Liberals with Chrestien and Martin, Canada experienced one of the fastest growth in Western World and the national debt was being reduced at a steady pace. Under Harper, there has been 8 years of budget deficit, two recessions, plunging loonie, Dutch Disease, reduced international prestige by being an American/Israeli lapdog, and eroding privacy rights.

Yet you still dangle from Harper's nuts?

I was a little kid back then, but apparently 'NDP' leaves a bad taste in a lot of Ontarians. Fear mongering works quite a bit better when mixed with past experiences.

Even if everything the PCs are saying about Trudeau is true, that mindless, inexperienced caricature with great hair would still be better than Harper.

Yeah. Trudeau is an air-head.

But Harper aka mini Bush is a disgrace. As are the inbreds that keep on electing him.

Hair-head. Trudeau is a hair-head

Under Liberals with Chrestien and Martin, Canada experienced one of the fastest growth in Western World and the national debt was being reduced at a steady pace. Under Harper, there has been 8 years of budget deficit, two recessions, plunging loonie, Dutch Disease, reduced international prestige by being an American/Israeli lapdog, and eroding privacy rights.

Don't forget the environment part. Renegging on Kyoto was such an embarassement.

Fuck Canada really. I really wish Quebec would finally secede.

Don't forget the environment part. Renegging on Kyoto was such an embarassement.

Quebec would be fucked if they separated.

The Great Recession was started by American banks giving out mortgages to Americans who couldn't afford them. Canada's strict lending rules meant the country was spared from the worst effects of the recession, unlike in the US and western Europe where they were hit especially hard. We made it out pretty damn well for ourselves. Why you're trying to link Harper with the recession as if the connotation was negative - when in fact it was the opposite - is beyond me.

Canada's international image has always been positive for years now, even when Harper made very vocal commitments to Israel, and decided to continue our involvement in the Afghanistan war. By the way, you've conveniently omitted the fact that the Liberals were they party that decided to send our troops to Afghanistan. Canada as a brand, whether researched by marketing agencies or surveyed across the world, has always been among the best regardless of our Israel policy.

That's the other thing that bothers me. Trudeau has been in office for 7 years. Harper was in office for the cumulative total of 7 years and 3 months when he became PM. All of this "inexperienced", "empty suit", "no substance" bullshit just doesn't ring true for me at all.

Sorry but Harper was a reform member MP way before that, president of the National citizens coalition, extremely involved in political commentary/strategy. He predicted the outcome of the united alternative convention before it happened (new name / leadership race and nothing more) and managed to do what it could not (unite the right). He is a shrewd politician and first westerner in power since "joe who" (and he lasted what, a year?). You don't have to like Harper, but he eats Justin for lunch from a pure political operator perspective. I think at this point I might even vote NDP over justin.

You are by yourself and will fail again.

Last edited:
The reason I will not be voting for Harper is because he looks like a gopher when he tries to smile.

Trudeau on the other hand.

Dat hair.

The reason I will not be voting for Harper is because he looks like a gopher when he tries to smile.

Trudeau on the other hand.

Dat hair.

Harper may look like a gopher, but Trudeau has the brain of a gopher.

Harper may look like a gopher, but Trudeau has the brain of a gopher.

Pretty sure if your wife catches you wasting your time on Sherdog AGAIN instead of looking for job, she is going to kick you to the curb.

Reel yourself back in, you're getting worse.

NDP all day. They fucked up the conservative cucks in Alberta and now they're going to repeat that nationally.

Change is needed, let's see what the NDP is made of.

Back