NY Times does a great piece on Canadian PM Stephen Harper

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by JosephDredd, Aug 16, 2015.

1. JosephDredd

JosephDredd Gold Belt

And they do not like him (link).

They do a very brief article, but cover his onslaught of gag orders, his war on knowledge, his sleazy political shenanigans, the senate scandal and more.

2. LionExMachina

LionExMachina There are No Pacts between Lions and Sherdogs. Banned

This last bit is depressingly accurate.

There needs to be a sense of urgency about getting rid of this neo-con.

3. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

Abso-fucking-lutely. And I voted for him twice.

4. TUFNewb

TUFNewb Brown Belt

I think Alberta going NDP this year is a bad sign for Harper and his goons.

5. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

It's a good piece. Harper has to go. Canada has two centrist options to choose from, a young man with nice hair and an older man with a nice beard.

Either would do imo.

6. Orgasmo

Orgasmo Red Belt

That's how Harper wins elections. He spreads negativity and smears him opponents in order to make the average person fear the unknown. The stupid drones that vote for him are more comfortable dying a slow death than take a chance to turn it around. That's what we have under Harper, a slow decline plagued by the Dutch Disease and erosion of civil rights/knowledge. The sooner this POS gets kicked out, the better.

7. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

You really want the NDP in power? When it comes to the federal budget you know they are going to wing it.

8. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

I think the NDP of today are the liberals of yesterday. They're left of center but more centrist than leftist. There was a time when they were a legitimate soclaist party, like the 80's and 90's but those days seem behind them. Since Layton they've become a different beast. I loved Paul Martin and I don't think Tom is on his level, but I imagine they'd be similar on a lot of fronts.

9. Director101

Director101 Brown Belt

"You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it"- Stephen Harper

He meant what he said. He needs to go.

10. Ayin

Ayin Black Belt

This piece is painfully accurate, and that from someone who certainly supported Harper's Conservatives early on.

The key reason presented by both his party and supporters for his continuing in office is "fear!" In that we're supposed to be afraid of 'what if?'s that could happen without him at the helm.

On the other side, you have the most educated group of Canadians, scientists and researchers from across the spectrum, speaking out as a political force (often at the same time as also being barred from speaking out about their work or the findings of it) against his administration.

11. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

if only the libs and NPD had better gun policies. But still harper has gotta go and justin is pro C-51. So NDP it is baby

12. LionExMachina

Still can't believe Trudeau supports that bill. Classic betrayal of the very values he lies about.

I was truly shocked and it totally drove me to drink.

[​IMG]

13. Snackbar

Snackbar Green Belt

Da fuq?? Have you been paying attention to the campaigning? Harper is the only one pushing policy at the moment. Trudeau and Mulcair have been riding the smear campaign and even thier supporters are asking for some platform details.

And Stephen Marche is a liberal columnist from Toronto who writes for the globe and mail. Dont get all excited and think this is a fresh American take on Canadian politics.

14. LionExMachina

I thought the facts cited in that article to be completely accurrate.

15. Snackbar

Snackbar Green Belt

They are, albeit slighty over exagerated in only the way a partisan writer can.

I cant debate all of them but the one that had me laughing the most is the attempt to draw Harpers governance as scandalous. John Oliver did a good bit on our "scandalous" government and atleast he lives in the US.

As well, the comment on Harper dodging major debates, all three of them are doing this and it really is a slap in the face for all voters. Harper dodges them I imagine because his approval rating is shit and he probably wants people to focus on PC policy instead of how much we fucking hate him. And the liberals and NDP dodge them because they can only fill so many hours with empty answers and reminding us how much we hate Harper.

Trudeau is a write off, so until Mulcair can lay out a detailed platform I dread the amount of people voting NDP solely to stick it to the PCs, and i am in AB, we just did that. Its probably what Mulcair is dreaming of every night though.

Oh and you only need look to the comment section of that article for a list of the good things the PC have been doing for Canada.

http://cotmblog.com/2015/04/20/in-canada-100-reasons-to-vote-conservative-oct-19-2015/

16. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Easter Worshipper

Justin Trudeau is just not ready. Great hair, though.

17. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Harper started running attack ads against Justin Trudeau last February, or even earlier. The first one I heard was in a subway (food place not transit), it was on the radio. I wrote the day into the notepad portion of my phone. Harper is the king of smear. He made people hate Michael Ignatiff for succeeding in life and being a prof at Harvard.

18. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Easter Worshipper

People disliked Ignatieff because he came off as an arrogant intellectual dick. People dislike Trudeau because, as Harper rightfully pointed out during the first debate, he is both for and against every issue. It is not clear where Trudeau stands on almost all issues.

19. dissolved

dissolved Steel Belt

I think Harper is awesome. The best PM ever, honestly.

20. Snackbar

Snackbar Green Belt

I entirely agree that Harper over does the smear campaigning. Those Trudeau commercials are painfully embarassing. And I am probably giving him to much credit as he had build up time to prep for this campaign. But so far he is the only one with any substance. Hopefully the others get thier shit together.