NY Times does a great piece on Canadian PM Stephen Harper

I'm no fan of Trudeau, but these attack ads are weak.

"Nice hair though."

Eat a dick.

I was a big fan, but the piece is spot on. Harper and his control hungry, prison loving, neocon FP schtick is getting old. Problem is Trudeau is just an empty suit living of his dad's name and I still don't trust the NDP. Hope its a minority government and Harper resigns.

I was a big fan, but the piece is spot on. Harper and his control hungry, prison loving, neocon FP schtick is getting old. Problem is Trudeau is just an empty suit living of his dad's name and I still don't trust the NDP. Hope its a minority government and Harper resigns.

It's time for another minority government, I'd be fine with an evenish 3-way split, I think that's what would best represent the feelings of Canadians. We might have needed a leader like Harper at some point, but we've moved past it if we had.

You really want the NDP in power? When it comes to the federal budget you know they are going to wing it.

Out of the 10 years Harper was in power, 8 were deficit years and 150 billions were added to national debt. Tell me more about this mythical Conservative "fiscal discipline".

Da fuq?? Have you been paying attention to the campaigning? Harper is the only one pushing policy at the moment. Trudeau and Mulcair have been riding the smear campaign and even thier supporters are asking for some platform details.

And Stephen Marche is a liberal columnist from Toronto who writes for the globe and mail. Dont get all excited and think this is a fresh American take on Canadian politics.

Really? I can't go through 5 youtube videos without running into one of Harper's "He is just not ready" ads. That was before the election was called. I rather take my chances with someone new rather than stay on a ship headed for a collision course. If you prefer slow suicide, vote Harper. I'll take my chances with NDP this time.

A lot of people don't understand how significant and damaging it was to kill the long-form census. So many institutions, schools, agencies, corporations, and people relied on that information to do their jobs effectively, and now they can't.

It was shockingly short-sighted. This is not hyperbole - the long-form census was incredibly important.

Out of the 10 years Harper was in power, 8 were deficit years and 150 billions were added to national debt. Tell me more about this mythical Conservative "fiscal discipline".

Meanwhile we were on track to completely eliminate the national debt under Paul Martin and the Liberals. Conservatives, in every country on earth, are the poorest financial managers around, but because they say they'll attack people on welfare people call them "fiscally responsible". Its proven nonsense.

"Nice hair though."

Eat a dick.

But how are they going to protect us from ISIS?

...When they come rolling up to the shores of Halifax.

01-somali-pirate-ship.jpg

It comes down to voting for the devil you know.

If I see that "Nice hair though" ad anymore, I'm going to vote for Trudeau out of spite.

Even if everything the PCs are saying about Trudeau is true, that mindless, inexperienced caricature with great hair would still be better than Harper.

"Nice hair though."

Eat a dick.

That is pretty much exactly how I felt after hearing that add. Childish attack adds that are so pathetic they leave me rolling my eyes, and I had no interest in supporting the Liberals before them.

And yet, they clearly work, as all one needs to do is talk to or listen to a Federal Conservative Party supporter to hear those exact same statements repeated as arguments. Which is important for them, because the Con party doesn't really have ANY accomplishments on which to stand.

inexperienced

That's the other thing that bothers me. Trudeau has been in office for 7 years. Harper was in office for the cumulative total of 7 years and 3 months when he became PM. All of this "inexperienced", "empty suit", "no substance" bullshit just doesn't ring true for me at all.

I find the attack on Trudeau for wanting to legalize marijuana funny as that's something the majority of Canadians have wanted legal for a long time.

You really want the NDP in power? When it comes to the federal budget you know they are going to wing it.

This narrative has been falsified many times. The NDP have a great economic record.

As far as economic outcomes go, the NDP have the best economic record of any political party, coming out ahead on multiple metrics.

http://www.progressive-economics.ca/2011/04/29/fiscal-record-of-canadian-political-parties/

http://news.ubc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/NDP-vs-Liberal-Performance.pdf

This narrative has been falsified many times. The NDP have a great economic record.

As far as economic outcomes go, the NDP have the best economic record of any political party, coming out ahead on multiple metrics.

http://www.progressive-economics.ca/2011/04/29/fiscal-record-of-canadian-political-parties/

http://news.ubc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/NDP-vs-Liberal-Performance.pdf

There's an insane amount of revisionist history re the NDP, especially in Ontario and Saskatchewan. They may not be great, but the notion that the NDP will bankrupt us all is such a pile of garbage that it's ridiculous.

No Obama but would still be open to trade him for mine.

Back