Nunes is a BJJ Black Belt , what's Ronda way to victory ?

No. There's a reason why she grappled WIth Valentina.
She outstruck her. Already been proven by myself previously. The only reason the numbers were remotely close was because she gassed, as per usual. Her gas tank is shit. Lucky for her, she wont need more than two rounds to stop Ronda.

Ronda is an Olympic level Judoka.

People forget Judo Newaza is about securing a quick submission after a throw or a trip.

A good uchi throw can knock the wind out of you long enough to give up an armbar without proper defense.

I'm going with Ronda in the grappling department. Ronda is something special there that can't be determined by belts. She's an improvisational grappler that puts it all together. I think everyone'z discounting her skills because she lost & has been off for so long... but she is something special with the grappling.

Are you serious? Not even the basics of striking defense, throws short, retracts low, etc. Footwork hideous, disconnect between hips and shoulders. All a result of shitting coaching and the stupidity of not finding a real coach.
So again I ask, would you be the least bit surprised if she knocks Nunes out???

Yes. She has power based on athleticism. Absolute shit technique.
While it seems like you and I are both sticklers for technical striking, we gotta remember what we're dealing with as far as WMMA goes, particular at WBW. I'm not saying Ronda is a great striker as an individual, but within the context of the division, a lot of these chicks couldn't strike with her. Even the so-called strikers in the division.

It's more of an indictment on the division than a credit to Ronda

While it seems like you and I are both sticklers for technical striking, we gotta remember what we're dealing with as far as WMMA goes, particular at WBW. I'm not saying Ronda is a great striker as an individual, but within the context of the division, a lot of these chicks couldn't strike with her. Even the so-called strikers in the division.

It's more of an indictment on the division than a credit to Ronda

Who are the strikers whom she has outstruck? One of the reasons she did so well is that the division is grappling heavy, and her grappling combined with her athleticism make her a tough combination for any woman in the division.

But even her jab is terrible, as she still paws forward with it like she is fishing for a collar tie instead of actually snapping the punch out.

Who are the strikers whom she has outstruck? One of the reasons she did so well is that the division is grappling heavy, and her grappling combined with her athleticism make her a tough combination for any woman in the division.

But even her jab is terrible, as she still paws forward with it like she is fishing for a collar tie instead of actually snapping the punch out.
Well, every girl she's beat, just go down the list. Some are supposedly strikers. But again, they're not any good. Bethe and Jessica Eye was supposed to be a striking showdown at WBW. Hot garbage, they both suck and would be finished by Ronda standing, Bethe again and Eye as well.

Holm is on the extreme end of the spectrum, people forget that when looking at the Ronda fight.

Well, every girl she's beat, just go down the list. Some are supposedly strikers. But again, they're not any good. Bethe and Jessica Eye was supposed to be a striking showdown at WBW. Hot garbage, they both suck and would be finished by Ronda standing, Bethe again and Eye as well.

Holm is on the extreme end of the spectrum, people forget that when looking at the Ronda fight.

Holm is actually a striker. Everyone else has a much stronger grappling background. Tate, McMann, Zingano, etc. are all grapplers. Zingano has decent striking in the clinch, but that is Ronda's world.

Standup i think she gets obliterated, Nunes is a savage and can take a punch herself.

On the ground i think her BJJ can nullify Ronda's judo.

Oh boy

At this point all we can do is speculate about Ronda. For All we know for the past year Ronda could have been training and improving her weaknesses and we could all be in for a surprise.

I think equally as important is her mental confidence heading into UFC 207. One year out of action and coming back after a humiliating loss after which exposing yourself to lack so much self-esteem before the entire world is gonna be tough psychologically no matter what. I was a bit concerned when she just rushed off stage after her face-off with Nunes at UFC 205 weigh-ins like she didn't wanna be there. But we'll see what happens.

ud28b.jpg

Ronda has trained with Rener Gracie to prepare for the worst case scenario when she has to defend from the bottom because thats were BJJ shines.

You are making the fallacy of comparing the groundgame of two different sports of course the BJJ groundgame is most relevant for competing in BJJ tournaments as viceversa judo groundgame for judo.

What is important is what transfers best to MMA and to consider that you must look at other grappling aspects also, such as takedowns or how you gets to the ground.

What fallacy? If BJJ comes from Judo's newaza, and BJJ spends 90%+ of their training on groundwork only...how the hell do they not have a much more evolved and better newaza? Before BJJ, did Judo's 100+ year history know anything about these guards, such as the 50/50, X, Y, Worm, Rubber, etc? Did Judo know anything about the De La Riva pass, Berimbolo, etc? How is this not highly evolved and way more sophisticated? Not all of these techniques transfers to MMA, but enough of them do.

Pure Judo shodans and nidan, when they join our gym and get graded, they usually get a shiny BLUE belt and afterward gets submitted by most of our current Blues. Surely you've seen this as the norm. Now certainly that their standup throws are way better than BJJ'ers, I have no doubt about this. And nowadays, there are plenty of crossovers and hybrid fighters, so I'm just talking about people who only trains Judo.

View attachment 181639 View attachment 181641

Again, you seem agitated. It's cool if you go take a walk in the brisk Christmas air. Breathe it in and chill out a bit, you're coming off badly here.

No one believes you, no one likes you, and we are exchanging PM's about how easily upset you are and how funny it is.

What comps are you doing?

Are these some judo medals? Because these don't look like any BJJ comp medals I've ever seen. Certainly not IBJJF or NAGA, for sure.

Well I didn't say that you did, but its the topic of this thread and somthing that comes up over and over. Of course it depends on who the black belt is - people should focus on competitive records and not on belt colors. That said, show me a BJJ practitioner that has transitioned to MMA that can do the same as Ronda on the ground.

You're talking about WMMA, where the talent isn't very high.

What fallacy? If BJJ comes from Judo's newaza, and BJJ spends 90%+ of their training on groundwork only...how the hell do they not have a much more evolved and better newaza? Before BJJ, did Judo's 100+ year history know anything about these guards, such as the 50/50, X, Y, Worm, Rubber, etc? Did Judo know anything about the De La Riva pass, Berimbolo, etc? How is this not highly evolved and way more sophisticated? Not all of these techniques transfers to MMA, but enough of them do.

Pure Judo shodans and nidan, when they join our gym and get graded, they usually get a shiny BLUE belt and afterward gets submitted by most of our current Blues. Surely you've seen this as the norm. Now certainly that their standup throws are way better than BJJ'ers, I have no doubt about this. And nowadays, there are plenty of crossovers and hybrid fighters, so I'm just talking about people who only trains Judo.

Well my background is from judo and I have been eating BJJ blackbelts for years so it all depends on circumstances and competitive abilities. Generally most recreative judokas in the US sucks and if a random shodan goes to a competitive BJJ academy then they usually get smoked in ne-waza! Its the same if you send a random recreative judo blackbelt to a highly competitive judoclub in France or Russia they will get rekt on the ground and everywhere.

Judonewaza is not the same as BJJ though and when I do randori with most BJJ blackbelts and I pin them they never escapes so I can just hold them down forever if I prefer.

You are seeing things in isolation, in judo there is usually less spezialised guardgame because we will bypass that by throws like Ronda does in her MMA fights. If you learn how to use throws then you will get other transitions to the ground and can go directly to the submissions or dominant position/pins.

She could last on the ground, but if it goes there - especially on more than one occasion, I expect Ronda to win.

Nunes only shot to win is her usual only shot to win, and that's keeping the fight standings trying to bum rush Ronda within the first two rounds and KO her.

I think Ronda's ground game is leaps and bounds better than Nunes, let's not forget that she competed at the highest possible level of female judo. Nunes amateur credentials in grappling are not even close, this is actually a very winnable fight for Ronda.

Those who are hyping Nunes, you are only feeding the ronda hype after she beats a very beatable Nunes.

Back