NSA vs KGB. Whats the difference?

No expert on either organisation but, off the top of my head, I'd say the KGB was more akin to a CIA (as said before), NSA, FBI, secret police/service combined.

It was my understanding that the KGB, at its height, was considered more adept and successful at fucking with the West than western intelligence agencies were at fucking with the USSR.

As has already been stated, but bears repeating: KGB was the Soviet version of the CIA. They specialized in Human Intelligence gathering, Counter Intelligence, Psy Ops and Paramilitary Operations.

Prime, Healthy, Motivated KGB with That Look in it's eye was arguably the most ruthlessly efficient and dangerous Intelligence Agency in the world

NSA is the world's best Electronic Intelligence agency. They far out-strip the capabilities of the Russians and everyone else. With the possible exception of the Chinese Ghost Net.

KGB can't really be matched in terms of sheer viciousness. There was a rumor flying around that in the 70's a Muslim terror group kidnapped a few Russians in Lebanon. KGB found the leaders brother, who was uninvolved, took him, and sent him in pieces to his terrorist brother's house.

The box contained the dudes head with his man parts inserted in his mouth. Which had been done before he was killed. There was a note attached with a succinct explanation of what would follow if the Russians weren't released.

Russians were set free after that.

While there are a lot of stories similar to this, and my guess is a lot are embellishments. It basically explains what most people thought of the KGB during their era.

One kidnaps you in the middle of the night, the other one doesnt.

not even remotely comparable.

and as an east german who heard all the stories about the Stasi its highly disrespectful to the victims of the KGB.

imagine a society where your closest friend,neighbor couldve been an informant and land you the death penalty,gulag or re-education camp

Only difference is what country you live in and as far as we know the NSA hasn't poisoned anyone with plutonium.

Btw, passed this license plate today - probably not a wise choice.

Bumper-Sticker-Virginia-Hey-NSA-e1382668320949.jpg

As has already been stated, but bears repeating: KGB was the Soviet version of the CIA. They specialized in Human Intelligence gathering, Counter Intelligence, Psy Ops and Paramilitary Operations.

Prime, Healthy, Motivated KGB with That Look in it's eye was arguably the most ruthlessly efficient and dangerous Intelligence Agency in the world

NSA is the world's best Electronic Intelligence agency. They far out-strip the capabilities of the Russians and everyone else. With the possible exception of the Chinese Ghost Net.

I can see that.

But at least the KGB was honest about their intentions, the NSA hides behind the terrorism cloud to set precedent of privacy invasion, an act aimed more at political descent than crime.

Only difference is what country you live in and as far as we know the NSA hasn't poisoned anyone with plutonium.

Btw, passed this license plate today - probably not a wise choice.

Bumper-Sticker-Virginia-Hey-NSA-e1382668320949.jpg

WANT, does it come in California

Your source on how a Russian organization compares to an American one is a Russian newspaper?

Its a pretty misleading title. It just says that the NSA has to get a wiretap, so the FSB is going to be more effective. Clearly they dont understand what the NSA actually does.

Wide disparity in number of employees (@40,000 NSA to 480,000 KGB in '91), although funnily enough the estimates for annual budget aren't that far apart (@ $10bn USD although of course all those figures are as rubbery as it gets).

KGB (Now FSB) is NSA, CIA, FBI etc. combined.

Just to put the responsibilities and the power in perspective.

One kidnaps you in the middle of the night, the other one doesnt.
One records all your phone/internet activities just in case you go against them later, the other one couldn't.

One records all your phone/internet activities just in case you go against them later, the other one couldn't.
Actually you're wrong on that. The NSA is certainly better at it but the FSB very actively data mines.

I think NSA is more internal than the KGB was?

Other than that, the NSA is better equipped and the differences end there.

I think NSA is more internal than the KGB was?

Other than that, the NSA is better equipped and the differences end there.

nope,kgb was external as well as internal.

it was basically cia,fbi,nsa combined in 1 huge spy apparatus

Is the FSB divided up into directorates along the same lines as the KGB?

Back