Not that I would ever want them banned but do suplexes

Suplexes should not be banned. If you know how to land, they are not that dangerous. Great example of this is fedor vs randleman. Fedor tucked his chin, and he wasnt even that hurt from the greatest suplex in history. That is because he knows how to fall properly.

1105951276_081ddf8786_o.gif

I definatley don't think they should be banned, just interested in how people felt they fell into the current rules. Got to disagree on Fedor tucking his chin, I think the floor tucked it for him.

yes i think we should add shin guards and elbow pads too.

head gear wouldn't hurt. but not boxing head gear. I think This head gear from Daido would be good for mma.

Let's ban standing knees to head too too dangerous.

do not forget about banning knee locks- too dangerous

neck cranks- too

yes i think we should add shin guards and elbow pads too.

head gear wouldn't hurt. but not boxing head gear. I think This head gear from Daido would be good for mma.

Let's ban standing knees to head too too dangerous.

do not forget about banning knee locks- too dangerous

neck cranks- too

Miss the not that I want them banned bit did you ?

I wasn't thinking of the "spiking" rule when I saw the suplex, but another aspect that popped in my mind is the "no hitting the back of head." Now UFC/MMA rules don't allow punching/hitting to there,,,, but wouldn't a suplex be considered slamming/hitting the back of the opponent's head 'cause inevitable that's where he will land on with, no?

Suplexes should not be banned. If you know how to land, they are not that dangerous. Great example of this is fedor vs randleman. Fedor tucked his chin, and he wasnt even that hurt from the greatest suplex in history. That is because he knows how to fall properly.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not,,, but Fedor landing the way he did and getting up may have been due to just luck also. Like how often do guys practice for suplexes so they can learn what to do in that instance, such as tucking chin in?

Frankly, I surprised Fedor got up from that.

Jesus. That's terrible.

There are a few techniques that freak me out for this reason.

Primarily neck cranks. every time I see one Im terrified they're gonna break someone's neck. I mean, what happens if Mir catches Nog in a crank or a twister or something? I think they should be disallowed. Just choke a dude. Don't mess around with the neck.

ya thats terrible anything type of move or position that messes around with the neck i dont like to watch even in tournaments or when im just rolling i dont like to try anything that can mess with somebodies neck.

Jesus. That's terrible.

Primarily neck cranks. every time I see one Im terrified they're gonna break someone's neck. I mean, what happens if Mir catches Nog in a crank or a twister or something? I think they should be disallowed. Just choke a dude. Don't mess around with the neck.

GTFO of here with this bullshit.

If some dude is retarded enough to not tap that is on him.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not,,, but Fedor landing the way he did and getting up may have been due to just luck also. Like how often do guys practice for suplexes so they can learn what to do in that instance, such as tucking chin in?

Frankly, I surprised Fedor got up from that.

Thats not sarcasm..it's pure Fedor fanboyism.
The only way Fedor survived that...never mind fought on from it, was with many, many years of neck conditioning.

If you watch his seminars he is always focussing on neck flexibility and strength...not sure todays UFC fighters use the sambo wrestling bridge drills for conditioning anymore...seen alot of fighters doing the Boxing neck strength drills but cant imagine they are as functional for rare situations such as that.

Last edited:
Jesus. That's terrible.

I agree but honestly I don

Not that I would ever want them banned but do suplexes fall into a grey area on the head spiking rule ?

It can become a gray area, sort of. In most suplexes, you don't really see the person come down with their head straight down and their feet up in the air, which is what it takes to be illegal. Their feet are usually off to the side. It's basically like a 12 to 6 elbow. It's only illegal 12 to 6, if you put any angle into it like an 11 to 5, then it become legal.

Suplexes are awesome, but yeah I wonder the same thing every time I see one. If the guy being suplexed doesn't know how to land, it could lead to a neck break easily. As much as I don't want to lose the suplex in MMA, if it saves a future fighter from getting his neck broken, I say ban them.

A suplex like that could be considered borderline illegal

GTFO of here with this bullshit.

If some dude is retarded enough to not tap that is on him.

''If someone doesn't tap in a sport I'm fine with him having his neck broken.''

Great logic. You're surely a pillar of your community, a shining example of all that is honorable.. :rolleyes:

They shouldn't be banned and aren't the same as head spiking.

The fighter being thrown has to drop their weight and get their hips out before the maneuver. They need to tuck their chin when they are getting thrown.

''If someone doesn't tap in a sport I'm fine with him having his neck broken.''

Great logic. You're surely a pillar of your community, a shining example of all that is honorable.. :rolleyes:

I also don't feel bad for people that walk into traffic.

piledriver.jpg

this is intentional pile driver

ahahahaha that picture is funny as hell. that is a piledriver for sure, cant imagine that in an mma match. anyway, as i posted in a previous thread, this is the official nevada state athletic commision ruling on suplexes/piledrivers/spiking:

Any throw that has an arc is a legal throw. A fighter may not pick up their opponent, invert them placing the fighter’s feet straight up in the air and their head straight down and pile drive their opponent into the canvas. When a fighter is using a takedown or a throw against their opponent they are allowed to throw their opponent to the ground without worry as to whether their opponents head makes contact with the canvas before another part of their body as long as they have not placed their opponent into the above stated pile driver position.

its as specific as the downward 12-6 elbow rule

Not that I would ever want them banned but do suplexes fall into a grey area on the head spiking rule ?

Why even suggest suggest such a thing when it's one of the most enjoyable aspect of grappling :mad:

Back