Not that I would ever want them banned but do suplexes

GTFO of here with this bullshit.

If some dude is retarded enough to not tap that is on him.

IF someone like Frank Mir has got you in a neck crank, you might not have the time to tap before something seriously bad has happened.

I wouldn't want to see a fighter paralyzed for my entertainment but there is an inherent risk with combat sports that the fighter has to know.

I'd prefer a doctor based forum to decide on things like this opposed to knee jerk reaction and public outcry.

No, because head-spiking involves controlling the head when slamming, which is nigh-impossible with the suplex.

it doesn't matter if you are controlling the head while slamming or not.

You're also not a human being worth knowing or talking to. Carrying on..

And yet here you are responding to me. Crying on...

IF someone like Frank Mir has got you in a neck crank, you might not have the time to tap before something seriously bad has happened.

I wouldn't want to see a fighter paralyzed for my entertainment but there is an inherent risk with combat sports that the fighter has to know.

I'd prefer a doctor based forum to decide on things like this opposed to knee jerk reaction and public outcry.

I've had some seriously strong guys put me in a neck crank and been able to tap in time.

This whole neck crank shit is overblown.

Head spike is a ddt or a pile driver, suplex or any format of body slam is not

Thats not sarcasm..it's pure Fedor fanboyism.
The only way Fedor survived that...never mind fought on from it, was with many, many years of neck conditioning.

If you watch his seminars he is always focussing on neck flexibility and strength...not sure todays UFC fighters use the sambo wrestling bridge drills for conditioning anymore...seen alot of fighters doing the Boxing neck strength drills but cant imagine they are as functional for rare situations such as that.

no neck strength in the world will save you from your entire weight combined
with Randleman's onto the ground. Fedor lucky he just tucked his neck,
If randleman gave an extra spin, fedor would have broke his neck.

Getting spiked on the head is no joke.

that was a very unfortunate accident, and in this case, the guy injured is the one who dove into the ground, and the guy on his back could have let go, so if the guy on the back had been injured he could have avoided it also.

Suplexes should not be banned. If you know how to land, they are not that dangerous. Great example of this is fedor vs randleman. Fedor tucked his chin, and he wasnt even that hurt from the greatest suplex in history. That is because he knows how to fall properly.

1105951276_081ddf8786_o.gif

i think the pride floor had alot of flex like WWE rings, that is why fedor
was alive after.The more
I look at this, the more it could have paralyzed Fedor, the goat made a big mistake in
this case.

It does seem like a grey line but the rules say pile driving e.g. straight down so No, it's still sexy and legal.

I was thinking the same last night.

I was awesome to see but it looked dangerous as hell.

i think the pride floor had alot of flex like WWE rings, that is why fedor
was alive after.The more
I look at this, the more it could have paralyzed Fedor, the goat made a big mistake in
this case.

the floors of the MMA cages are done exactly the same way. They use pieces of wood which are set into place in the cage's frame, and then they are covered.

You have to be so careful with your neck , back in the day Mark Kerr used a can opener on Igor Borisov ( who seemed oblivious to what was happening ) and he was removed from the ring on a strecher , now I'm not sure what the extent of his injurys were but I do know he never fought again .
In fairness if your going to start removing submission techniques from mma you should probably start with heel hooks because of the massive damage they cause to people's careers but that's only if you want to go down that road .
This is one of those situations that probably won't be seriously debated until a major injury takes place to a fighters neck in a high profile fight ( from a slam or a crank ) but that's just the way sports are .

The funny thing with suplexes is that you are not allowed punch your opponent in the back of the head with padded gloves.

But suplexing him so that he smashes the back of his head against the relatively unpadded cage floor is okay.

It makes no sense. Apart from the spinal risk, somebody could be killed from sheer trauma to the head.

If it isn't broken don't fix it. I think they require a lot of strength and consume a lotta energy. I might be wrong. But going for a takedown already seems tiring enough.

Trying to think of a few. Rampage/Bader? Rory/Diaz?

It's an accident waiting to happen on the big stage. Well documented injuries on the lesser stage. I promise it will be the next thing to get banned. May be years, but it will be the next.

I got knocked out from a suplex in a judo match before. It's really tough to break fall when nothing else but the back of your head and shoulders are hitting the ground. That's why I was so impressed with fedors breakfall when randleman slammed him.

I do Judo as well.

I wouldn't call Fedor surviving the Randleplex a tribute to his breakfalls, more like a mixture of luck and badassery.

If it isn't broken don't fix it. I think they require a lot of strength and consume a lotta energy. I might be wrong. But going for a takedown already seems tiring enough.

Trying to think of a few. Rampage/Bader? Rory/Diaz?

I would imagine there to be more resistance in someone using their legs to stop a takedown vs. being lifted up with a suplex. These guys squat like 50,000 pounds I've heard.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or not,,, but Fedor landing the way he did and getting up may have been due to just luck also. Like how often do guys practice for suplexes so they can learn what to do in that instance, such as tucking chin in?

Frankly, I surprised Fedor got up from that.

Sambo guys (and greco guys too for that matter) get suplexed pretty regularly. Your avarage hw would have been destroyed by that suplex I would guess. Yes, he might have been abit lucky to come out of that without a scratch, but Im pretty sure his high level sambo played a big role in it too. He doesnt panic and start flailing around or try to resist it after getting lift off, and just goes with the throw.

The funny thing with suplexes is that you are not allowed punch your opponent in the back of the head with padded gloves.

But suplexing him so that he smashes the back of his head against the relatively unpadded cage floor is okay.

It makes no sense. Apart from the spinal risk, somebody could be killed from sheer trauma to the head.

You can't attack the spinal cord, so you can't strike the back of the head because they don't want impacts to the upper part of the spinal cord just below the skull, where the skull no longer protects. It's no worse to get hit on the back of the skull than the side, front, or top, but they disallow it because it's so close to an unprotected section of the spinal cord. When the back of your head hits the ground, it's the skull that's going to bear the brunt of the force because it sticks out more than the back of the neck.

Back