Not official : Doctors say Holloway may have experienced a mini stroke

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Sources from Jake Shields, different doctors, and MMA Global are not confirmed yet. But the symptoms he had were clearly common to those you experience when you have a stroke.

The speech slurred is the most alarming of the symptoms, and UFC should take drastic measures to prevent fighters from cutting weight. That thing is killing them already...

Hope it's not that bad for Holloway. Otherwise we may never see him fight again..

Mods wastelanded this earlier. But IF this is related to his weight-cut, then they REALLY need to start cracking down on these guys dropping 40+ lbs to make weight.

There was a thread on this yesterday, that got deleted quickly. I can see this one being deleted, too.

If true, however, then my best wishes to Max.

Hope this isn't true, though.

The its over (mma). Sadly.

Hope the recovers.

Didn't know Jake Shields was a not only a k1 fighter but also a doctor?

Weight cuts can lead to mini strokes?

I’ve never been a huge Max fan, but I realised when hearing about his potential early retirement how much of a fuckin tragedy it would be for him and for the fans. One of the best fighters I’ve ever seen. No one does what he did to Aldo

What a fucking disaster if that guy has to retire from fighting.

UFC seriously needs to do something against weight-cutting. Hydration tests like ONE FC maybe.

Last edited:
Man I hope this isn't the case I've heard a lot of different rumors this is by far the worst

Not in a straight way. Actually , there are a lot of obese people that suffer mini strokes.

However, if you're weak from the weight cut, a head strike in a training can have more impact, simply because you're weak and your whole muscle tone is down.
Like an infant.

Mods wastelanded this earlier. But IF this is related to his weight-cut, then they REALLY need to start cracking down on these guys dropping 40+ lbs to make weight.

The idea of having restrictions on weight cutting like OneFC does seems to look better and better.

The same guys always seem to have problems, same guys don't. At the end of the day is comes down to responsible weight planning and smart coaches.

Clearly many fighters either arent responsible with their own bodies or have bad coaching and nutritionist. UFC may need to step in and appoint people to make sure fighters arent killing themselves.

A stroke at 24, that is just horrible

Jakes Shields sold his account to mmainports so never quote “Jake Shields” as a source. . He isn’t actually tweeting that.

Dehydration.

There is no straightforward connection between stroke and dehydration...just like a mentioned, weakness during training can make a strike to the head more serious.
But dehydration->stroke doesn't work like that. Sometimes symptoms are similar, but no correlation.

Dehydration can cause blood to become thicker causing it to flow less easily to the brain through the narrowed or blocked blood vessels, hence lead to a stroke. Other underlying health issues may also be present though.

There is no straightforward connection between stroke and dehydration...just like a mentioned, weakness during training can make a strike to the head more serious.
But dehydration->stroke doesn't work like that. Sometimes symptoms are similar, but no correlation.

giphy.gif

Look, I tired to call your BS regarding the so-called connection between dehydration and mini strokes in a nice and polite way.
However, that still made you upset.

I'm sorry for that, next time I'll use vaseline.

Back