Not official : Doctors say Holloway may have experienced a mini stroke

this is great news for ortega, wait another 6months for them to determine if hawaii boy had a stroke. and then another 6 months to get a titleshot.

They are called a TIA (transient ischemic attack) IIRC, docs thought I had one a few years back, of course I researched into these further. They are bad and a precursor to a full on stroke, luckily for me the tests came back and suggested otherwise.

Just to put in some context. Holloway is reported to weight around 180lbs about a week before fight-night. Meaning he's doing a 180-145 weight cut. That's 35lbs, which is 19.5% cut. A weight drop of 8-9% due to dehydration is considered "severe" and is correlated with such wonderful 'side-effects' as cyanosis, delayed capillary refill, hypotension, and coma.

I would assume it's ENTIRELY plausible that a weight cut if nearly 1/5th of your own body weight could cause, if only indirectly, having a stroke.

The fix to shit like this is simple, make it so weight-ins can be no more than 6 hours prior to the start of the fight. No time to re-hydrate = no severe weight cutting.

Weight cuts, not even once

Look, I tired to call your BS regarding the so-called connection between dehydration and mini strokes in a nice and polite way.
However, that still made you upset.

I'm sorry for that, next time I'll use vaseline.

giphy.gif

Strange to think that in a sport where all people do is punch kick and strangle each other, it's the dehydration that does the most damage.

So stupid, so easy to solve.

Yep. Stroke is the end of the MMA career.

I don't think so...people recover from strokes all the time...and I'm talking bad ones...his, if anything was minor and brought on by his weight cut...cause normal men his age simply do not have strokes...not men in his physical shape...he will need time to recover, but he will...I don't know if we will see him back at 145 though...that is doubtful.

Unless the opinion comes from a doctor that examined Max, its meaningless.

I don't think so...people recover from strokes all the time...and I'm talking bad ones...his, if anything was major and brought on by his weight cut...cause normal men his age simply do not have strokes...not men in his physical shape...he will need time to recover, but he will...I don't know if we will see him back at 145 though...that is doubtful.

I don't think I've ever heard about a sportsman recovering his SPORTS career after a stroke...correct me if I'm wrong pls

Fight night weigh ins motherfuckers. Cutting weight is for bitches.

Back