Normally i wouldnt asK,but i NEED HELP

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE

Green Belt
Reaction score
i just started training again, trying to gain 15-20 lbs of muscle to this scrawney frame

im 5-10, 162 lbs, but im decently strong for my size and comparing to my bigger friends

heres my problem...My workout has some big question marks, that i could use some help with

i think it needs tweaking, could someone please help?

DAY1:

standing alternate curls
incline curls
bent rows
saxon bend
deadlifts
shrugs

DAY2:

Dumbell press
bench press
side lateral raises
floor press
dips
tate press

DAY3:

dead lifts
leg curls
rows
shrugs
incline flys
lunges

DAY4:

bent laterals
front laterals
incline bench press
flat bench prss
saxon bend
tate press

i take wednesdays , saturdays and sundays off

here lies the problem...is this a decent workout for what im looking for?

am i overworking certain areas? while not working others enough?

i need a quality routine...this routine was made up from various other routines(friends), im not sure if i even came close to a correct workout

i attempted to use the puss/pull setup aswell as certain body parts...is this a smart way of doing things?

thanks in advance for any help i might receieve

i also train Thai boxing*just started) and judo, been doing this for a while, since i was a kid

im willing to cut certain excersises to replace them with better stuff...

also if i need to just cut some excersises that can be done

im lost here...any help will be greatly appreciated

OK dude, I'm no expert, but that routine is crap, so I'll point you in the right direction before you get flamed.

First of all, concentrate on heavy compound lifts: squat, deadlift and bench, and use compound lifts for assistance. If you absolutely have to (or want to) do isolation like curls, do it at the end and not the start of the workout.

With your other training, forget training 5x a week. For a novice, that would kill you anyway. Do 3x a week max, each day concentrating on one of the main three lifts and their assistance lifts. Doing 2x a week is also an option, with alternating squat and deadlift as your lower body lift every week, especially seeing how your legs and lower back and hips will get hammered from Judo and Muay Thai anyway.

Read through the stickies, especially Carnal's treatise (it's easy to find), which should set you on the right path, then try putting together a new routine. My tip is to stick to 4-5 exercises per day, max, and start with 8-12 reps in the beginning, until you get the form down, and work your way down to the 3-5 range for the main lifts, and a bit more on the assistance.

thanks man...i appreciate it

this routine os a 4 day a week workout...not 5

ive read everything this board has to offer,but im still not getting anywhere

and i must say...carnals piece was fukin great...very inspiring

my problem is that my knowledge of different excersises for different muscle groups isnt very good

im not sure what exercises to be doing

thats why i ended up with this "crap" routine

i just pieced together a routine based off my friends various routines...big mistake

If you do any sport, that routine is going to burn you out just on the amount of exercises alone.

You want to train Bench, Deadlift, and Squat first and foremost. After that, branch off into assistance lifts..

Example:

Day 1:

Bench Press -
Assistance 1
Assistance 2
Assistance 3
Assistance 4

You need to google Prilepins (sp) table, which will help you a lot in not getting burned out by doing too much weight with too many repetitions.

Hope this has helped.

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE said:
my problem is that my knowledge of different excersises for different muscle groups isnt very good
Bench assistance: incline (dumbell or barbell), floor presses (good for middle to lockout), dips, overhead press, close-grip bench (good for triceps), board presses (good for lockout)

Squat assistance: front squats (good for quads), deep squats (good for hams), box squats (good for coming out of the hole), bulgarian squats, front or lateral lunges, romanian deadlifts (good for hams), glute-ham raise

Deadlift assistance: Romanian deadlifts (good for hams), pull-throughs, rack pulls (good for lockout), front squats (good for starting speed), shrugs

Some upper back work you shouldn't ignore: chinups/pullups, bent-over rows, face pulls

There you go. Take the big three, follow it up with some of these exercises -- not ALL of them (best if you pick the ones which address your weakness!) and you have an instant routine which may need tweaking still, but is far better than what you proposed. If you don't know some of these exercises, they should be in the glossary.

excellent guys

this is the type of critisism i needed

i kinda thought that routine blew...thats why i posted about it before using it

Thank you guys very much for the helpful info

i guess i have alot more research to do before i create a good routine

once again...Thanks

ps: i read a workout routine in FLEX the other day, are these rotuines legit? or just a way of selling the product?

well thats a whole other story

i eat horrible...nor do i have any clue what i should or shouldnt be eating

im also in the process of quitting all my smoking habits

so my eating habits have been very weird this past couple of weeks

any helpful information will be appreciated

quitting the smoke was a main reason for beginning weight training...i want to be healthy

i guess im gonna have to go see a diet doctor or something...cause ive been told that eating is the main ingrediant in weight gain and train

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE said:
well thats a whole other story

i eat horrible...nor do i have any clue what i should or shouldnt be eating

im also in the process of quitting all my smoking habits

so my eating habits have been very weird this past couple of weeks

any helpful information will be appreciated

quitting the smoke was a main reason for beginning weight training...i want to be healthy

i guess im gonna have to go see a diet doctor or something...cause ive been told that eating is the main ingrediant in weight gain and train
Eat six times a day, no more than 2.5 hours apart. As much as you can, and plenty of meat, vegetables, pasta, rice, and fish.

If you don't do this, you can forget about your 20 pounds of muscle right now.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
If you don't do this, you can forget about your 20 pounds of muscle right now.

Truer words are rarely spoken!

two excercises for curls!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

*runs and hides*

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE you have an outstanding attitude, unlike most of the people who come on here, post a routine to be picked apart, then get mad and try to defend it (which has never made sense to me), you're actually interested in getting real results. You'll go far if you stick with it.

Plenty of rest, too. You young guys are typically too active to pack on the pounds. 9-10 hours sleep a night and a nap every day too if you can.

CarnalSalvation said:
ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE you have an outstanding attitude, unlike most of the people who come on here, post a routine to be picked apart, then get mad and try to defend it (which has never made sense to me), you're actually interested in getting real results. You'll go far if you stick with it.

thanks alot Carnal....that means alot coming from a respected memeber of this community

im always open to learning from someone with more knowledge than myself

ps: i just setup a basic routine from your site, thanks, but my question is this, is it ok for me to work abs and grip on my off days?

also...is it ok to do both the Zercher and Bulgarian squats in the same day?...

cause my squat day is lacking, between not having all the proper equipment and not knowing how to properly perform certain excersise any help is greatly appreciated

once again...Thanks alot guys

Eat alot, lift heavy(and correctly) and get alot of rest. I has been working good for me, I have been getting stronger annd stronger. Good luck my friend. BTW, we are in the same boat, I am 5'9" 170.

ok, so i used Carnals site to basically put together another routine

i hope this is better....keep in mind i substituted a couple of excersises because of lack of equipment or lack of knolwedge of certain excersises

DAY 1

Deadlifts
Bent barbell rows
barbell curls
one handed deadlifts
shrugs

day 2
bench press
dumbell bench press
tate press
floor press
tricep pushdowns

day 3
squat
lunges
bulgarian squat
saxon bend
calf raises

is this sufficient with what im trying to accomplish?

once again...your imput is greatly appreciated

ps: what type of reps should i be doing?

high reps? or failure ever?

Back