Normal? (5x5)

mike p

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm half way through my second 5x5 (had to start over half way through the first because I got the flu). Well I've noticed something weird. Although my strength is going up, my body weight is going slightly down. Now here's the kicker, although my weight is going down, I'm beginning to build a gut. WTF?

My weights going down as well, but I'm not building a gut I'm building abs.

What's your diet like?

What else are you doing besides 5x5? What is your diet like?

Have you been taking diet advice from Zero?

1) You are dropping fat
2) A strong core is not nessesarily the same as a standard Baywatch sixpack. Your "gut" might protude a bit more.
3) Are you eating more? Your stomach might just be fuller/have adapted to a higher intake - do you see the gut when you wake up in the morning?

2) A strong core is not nessesarily the same as a standard Baywatch sixpack. Your "gut" might protude a bit more.

This is also happening to me. I don't mind it at all since I know it's muscle. My wife especially enjoys the hip flexor muscles protruding over my hip bones.

What else are you doing besides 5x5? What is your diet like?

I'm also kickboxing/bagwork/cardio about an hour a day, 2-3 days a week.

Roughly 150 grams protein, 80 grams fat, 400 grams carbs.

Are you drinking enough water?

Probably not...:redface:

do you see the gut when you wake up in the morning?

I never really noticed but I'll start looking. Why?

This is also happening to me. I don't mind it at all since I know it's muscle. My wife especially enjoys the hip flexor muscles protruding over my hip bones.

*Wants the nuge's secks*

Stretch your hip flexors, a lot. Posture can make you look fat even when your not. If your belt line slopes down in the front this is likely the reason your getting a gut.

Roughly 150 grams protein, 80 grams fat, 400 grams carbs.

The first thing I'd do is lower your carb intake and raise your fat and protein intake. Make sure your adding healthy fats though and taking fishoil would be a big plus.

I'm half way through my second 5x5 (had to start over half way through the first because I got the flu). Well I've noticed something weird. Although my strength is going up, my body weight is going slightly down. Now here's the kicker, although my weight is going down, I'm beginning to build a gut. WTF?

For me its my first time and my weight has stayed the same but my gut is going away.

Back