NoGi harai Goshi

Yup, drew foster has a pretty accurate description of all of them. But yeah, harai goshi, uchi mata, and hane goshi are all distinctly different. Although the japanese uchi mata and hane goshi are often mistaken for each other. The key difference is that like drew said, with hane it's that springing explosion with hane goshi. The japanese uchi mata where they hit the lead leg (lead, if both fighting from the same side grip ie left vs left, or right vs right), has the same motion as any hip uchi mata. Come to think of it, I have never seen an uchi mata that isn't hip, when attacking the lead leg.

Yup, drew foster has a pretty accurate description of all of them. But yeah, harai goshi, uchi mata, and hane goshi are all distinctly different. Although the japanese uchi mata and hane goshi are often mistaken for each other. The key difference is that like drew said, with hane it's that springing explosion with hane goshi. The japanese uchi mata where they hit the lead leg (lead, if both fighting from the same side grip ie left vs left, or right vs right), has the same motion as any hip uchi mata. Come to think of it, I have never seen an uchi mata that isn't hip, when attacking the lead leg.

Exactly. Also, sometimes and Uchimata may have the leg slighly bent. This is NOT Hane-Goshi. There must be a spring. Anyone who has TRULY seen a Hane Goshi would never mistake any variation of Uchimata for it. Hane feels like you're getting hit by a train if it's done right.

IChinaManI I saw a response on youtube for an old Gokor vid. It said "Uchimatas FTW." Was that you? I'm going to the Gokor seminar on June 7th in Charlotte, NC. There's also a Hayastan Tourney. Where do you live man ?

EDIT: Oh, Canada. Hmmmmm, probably too far of a trip.

Look regarding Hane Goshi, There has not been a major Judo competitor that has been famous for this throw in YEARS. And I don't think a female has ever been known for their Hane. All the good Hane guys are old school, or dead. You have to be passionate about it and make it your pursuit in life in order to be able to use it in shiai or randori. The point is, Uchimata and Harai Goshi are easier so the get performed more often. Even harai is going out of style. :icon_sad:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L5IKAskC8Do

That's a true Hane Goshi. NOTICE the SPRING!

I do no gi grappling, but never any formal bjj training. Youtube is my teacher....... hahaha. Yeah, if the gokor vid had the same username as I have here, then it was me. I LOVE uchi matas, but I can only get them from one grip for the time being, and even that is sketchy. Oh well, hopefully I'll get it someday :p.

Back