NoGi harai Goshi

I've seen that technique applied quie a but, its usally good when they catch them. The latest I've seen is Devala-Riggs fight. By theway what's the english orwrestling equivalent name of technique?

The English translation is Sweeping Hip Throw, not sure what it is called in wrestling.

This is my favorite tech with and without the gi. This grip is just an example, but you can hit this throw from many different grips with and without the gi.

harai is the most popular judo throw i think. at least its the most common in terms of favorite throws.

In international competitions Seoi-Nage, Kata Garuma, and Uchi-Mata are the most successful throws.

kata garuma = double leg takedown

Morote Gari = Double Leg Reap

Kata Garuma= Shoulder Wheel (Firemans Carry)

In international competitions Seoi-Nage, Kata Garuma, and Uchi-Mata are the most successful throws.

I remember reading an old book called "Judo Training Methods" by Donn Draeper and someone else, Ishikawa maybe? Anyways, it wasn't so much a technique book but was more on lifting, conditioning, drills, and so forth for judo. In it it had a very interesting breakdown of the most successful throws used in judo competition (keep in mind this is an old book) and at that time it was: Seoi-nage, uchi-mata, tai otoshi, o soto gari and harai goshi.

I'm no expert on judo by any means and have only dabbled in it (can't wait till I leave the military so I can go back home and train at Toshi Dojo) but from all the judo highlights/footage I've seen, these throws still seem to be the top ones.

that is my favorite technique in no-gi judo...

But, in that demo, he is doing its slightly wrong.

Both over-hooks should be deep and over, with hands placed essentially in the arm pits of the uke. Placing your hand on the elbow creates too much space when you do the twist, and if a wrestler sprawls, he might be able to get enough space to counter it

I just started doing Gi not too long ago and learned this throw..

GI standup > Nogi standup

I really want to get uchi mata in no-gi but I've had no luck so far. I find harai way more effective no gi for some reason. Also I suck with the whizzer grip/hip throw. I find I have to do like a head and arm grip for hip throws. Problem is peoples heads slip out, and an underhook instead of the head doesnt work as well imo.

i got my info on the throws from one of the head coaches from USA judo.

As far as the placement of the overhook, with the other person advancing with double overhooks, your looking to create the space to off balance. throwing in whizzer type pressure with the inside overhook.

As far a a sprawl from there, with the thrower off to the side like that and creating pressure with the inside overhook, the guy with the double unders would have a VERY hard time not falling over.

If the guy can sprawl back from here there are many easy transitions to Brabo chokes, guillotines, and so on that will force him to retreat from attempting to square back off.

I really want to get uchi mata in no-gi but I've had no luck so far. I find harai way more effective no gi for some reason. Also I suck with the whizzer grip/hip throw. I find I have to do like a head and arm grip for hip throws. Problem is peoples heads slip out, and an underhook instead of the head doesnt work as well imo.

This is me doing the tech, and it does look a little funny now that i look at it closer. This is not a fluid motion that you are seeing in the pics.

The guy from takedowns 101 tried to take the pics while I went slow, but they all came out blurry. So we had to go step by step, which was fine by me, but the other guy kept having difficulties staying up in the proper spot long enough get a pic.

If you look close you can see that this was pieced together from about 5-6 different throws.

I have had lmited success with the throw itself, but as a setup to Harai and tai-o it works very well. Also a good setup to enter into Brabos and front headlock attacks.

I have the same problem, just very difficult to off balance him enough without slipping off.

Harai used to be one of the most popular judo throws, but once the counter to it became commonplace, Uchi Mata supplanted it. I think virtually no olympic class judoka use Harai Goshi as their go to throw, as uchi mata is much safer. The counter to Harai is a suplex, so it isn't to be taken lightly.

Dammit, two of those three are my favorites. I got to get more interesting tokuiwaza. I wish I was better at uchi mata too. That is such a sweet throw, but I suck at it.

I agree, nothing better than a clean Uchi-Mata, I have had off an on sucess with it. I tend to get it as a counter, but have issues trying to execute it off my own setups. It deos seem to work very well for me as a setup throw, and I catch myself not commiting to it and being content with the Kazushi from it.

He gave me a pivot table that had everything broken down by weight, and height also. Wish I knew where that was. I let someone borrow the Cd.....

I wish I had the stats, but those three make up for around 70% of the throws for ippon if I remember correctly.

The next highest one was either Harai or Ouchi-gari at like 8% or something.

If you can't get uchi mata or have trouble commiting why not switch to an ouchi from it. It'll be one of the tightest ouchi's you'll ever have done. I'm starting to get uchi mata alot from the russian grip, as after a few months of trying with the regular grip, I've had enough of faceplanting.

Russian grip is my personal favorite, and thats where i have most of my success using uchi-mata in combo with tai-o and ouchi.

I shyed away from Ouchi due a tear in my lcl about 4 months ago. Its ok now, I just think it changed my mindset as far as attacking.

For some reason I can hit Ouchi to Uchi mate pretty well, but ouchi from Uchi-mata has never been somehting that I get alot..... Any ideas?

Back