NoGi harai Goshi

I use it all the time. I drill alot of Kouchi to Ouchi.

Not a very high % move for me, but I do like to use it alot as a setup.

What about kouchi?

Sorry I mi-read.

I love it, but never really been into going down on it. i would hope that your into it also, or I may avaoid wrstling with you in the future

What is the russian grip ? is it a two on one, or the over the back grip ?

Sorry I mi-read.

I love it, but never really been into going down on it. i would hope that your into it also, or I may avaoid wrstling with you in the future

I don't really score high with kouchi, just usually where they land on their butt, but it works well in getting them tensed up and defensive. Quick, safe, easy shot on offence.

Right off the bat vs any new guy I fight its, right kouchi, rite kouchi, left eri-seoinage. If that don't work I know I'm in for a fight.LOL

I just started doing Gi not too long ago and learned this throw..

GI standup > Nogi standup

No GI stand up >>> GI stand up (in a no gi match)
GI stand up >No GI stand up in a GI match(most of the time)

I think virtually no olympic class judoka use Harai Goshi as their go to throw,

Some of the really big heavyweights do.

The huge Polish guy uses it a- fat man Ruano used to use almost exclusively.

Harai used to be one of the most popular judo throws, but once the counter to it became commonplace, Uchi Mata supplanted it. I think virtually no olympic class judoka use Harai Goshi as their go to throw, as uchi mata is much safer. The counter to Harai is a suplex, so it isn't to be taken lightly.

What's a suplex called in Judo?

I have had a lot of success with the no gi uchi mata, It isnt as spectacular without the gi, being that its harder to lift and pull but with and over under clinch pulling,and or, foot stopping to the right and timing it correctly the finish is realy hard for someone to stop. Just my 2 centavos

What's a suplex called in Judo?

Uranage is what he was referring to, though its nearly always to the side not over your own head [to get te opponent flat on their back]. Not sure what te definition of a suplex is.

If you can't get uchi mata or have trouble commiting why not switch to an ouchi from it. It'll be one of the tightest ouchi's you'll ever have done. I'm starting to get uchi mata alot from the russian grip, as after a few months of trying with the regular grip, I've had enough of faceplanting.

all summer i was getting so many throws in with the russian grip and then i just stopped using it and didnt realize , man i cant wait to get back to judo .

I'm too short to use the russian grip,i always just bait them to grip my lapel then hit a Sode, probably my go to throw. The way I was taught Uchi-mata, Haraigoshi, and Hanegoshi is to just get into position for the throw (stepin with the lifting pull) and essentially throw my leg back and wherever it hits their leg that's what I get.

I'm too short to use the russian grip,i always just bait them to grip my lapel then hit a Sode, probably my go to throw. The way I was taught Uchi-mata, Haraigoshi, and Hanegoshi is to just get into position for the throw (stepin with the lifting pull) and essentially throw my leg back and wherever it hits their leg that's what I get.

That is a very simplistic and incorrect (altho good for begginers) way of desribing, harai, hane, and mata. IChinaManI can step in here.

The reality is that they all have more differences than just "where" the leg hits.

Hane Goshi is the easiest to differentiate. The leg is bent so the outside of your right leg touches the inside of their right leg. BUT, the key principle in hane Goshi is the "Spring" Hane Goshi=Spring Hip Throw. You have to explode in and spring theyr hips up using your hip and leg combines, with your bent leg being an extension of your hips. It simply is used for momentum, and height. The leg in Hane Goshi is NOT the key factor.

Harai the sweeping leg sweeps on the outside of the elgs, but then again.... A proper Harai you should feel like you're sweeping nothing. It's just and extension of your hips and provides height and momentum for the throw. Ashi Guruma, and O Guruma also have a leg hit outside. Those are not Harai. The sweeping leg in Harai is meant to sweep along with your hip to throw. You don't "hit" the outside leg in Harai. You use your hip to throw, and then sweep your leg up to finish.

With Uchimata, your description is somewhat accurate. As long as your sweeping leg hits anywhere in-between the opponen'ts legs into either upper thigh, it's Uchi Mata. Uchi-Mata can either be a hip or leg throw, depending on how it's done. Even then, with the hip/deep version. You want the leg to be used as an estension of your body like the previous two.

The positioning on the 3 is diff too. With Hane, your hips move in shallow, almost like a T or an Uki Goshi. With Harai, the angle is a little steeper. With Uchi Mata, you can vary the angles. Same with Harai too, I guess. But Hane needs proper foot placement. ALL three require TIGHT chest-to-chest contact.

With all these 3 throws. The leg is the least important part (but final key ingrediant). You will master these by concentrating on good off-balancing, proper body moevement and fitting in. Everything else will follow.

That is a very simplistic and incorrect (altho good for begginers) way of desribing, harai, hane, and mata. IChinaManI can step in here.

The reality is that they all have more differences than just "where" the leg hits.

Hane Goshi is the easiest to differentiate. The leg is bent so the outside of your right leg touches the inside of their right leg. BUT, the key principle in hane Goshi is the "Spring" Hane Goshi=Spring Hip Throw. You have to explode in and spring theyr hips up using your hip and leg combines, with your bent leg being an extension of your hips. It simply is used for momentum, and height. The leg in Hane Goshi is NOT the key factor.

Harai the sweeping leg sweeps on the outside of the elgs, but then again.... A proper Harai you should feel like you're sweeping nothing. It's just and extension of your hips and provides height and momentum for the throw. Ashi Guruma, and O Guruma also have a leg hit outside. Those are not Harai. The sweeping leg in Harai is meant to sweep along with your hip to throw. You don't "hit" the outside leg in Harai. You use your hip to throw, and then sweep your leg up to finish.

With Uchimata, your description is somewhat accurate. As long as your sweeping leg hits anywhere in-between the opponen'ts legs into either upper thigh, it's Uchi Mata. Uchi-Mata can either be a hip or leg throw, depending on how it's done. Even then, with the hip/deep version. You want the leg to be used as an estension of your body like the previous two.

The positioning on the 3 is diff too. With Hane, your hips move in shallow, almost like a T or an Uki Goshi. With Harai, the angle is a little steeper. With Uchi Mata, you can vary the angles. Same with Harai too, I guess. But Hane needs proper foot placement. ALL three require TIGHT chest-to-chest contact.

With all these 3 throws. The leg is the least important part (but final key ingrediant). You will master these by concentrating on good off-balancing, proper body moevement and fitting in. Everything else will follow.
Yeah each throw's going to have its own different nuances but that's simply how the blackbelt explained to me how he did it (played judo for 15 years and played for Cambridge University on a scholarship).

Yeah each throw's going to have its own different nuances but that's simply how the blackbelt explained to me how he did it (played judo for 15 years and played for Cambridge University on a scholarship).

this is why we americans never do anything in olympic or world competition...hell with it just throw him up there and wherever your leg hits him throw em.:rolleyes:

I'm sure his credentials are fine. But that's not my point. I mean that sometimes (I don't know your experience level) even a 10th dan may have to explain move differences in "begginer terms."

They're more than just nuances. I don't care what belt he is. Ask any true, experienced Judo student, hell even ask your teacher again. Harai, Hane, and Uchi-Mata are ALL 3 distinctly different movements. To the untrained eye they look the same besides the raising leg. And they ARE similar. But definately not the same just with different leg placement. Your teacher is either wrong, or he's explaining in a way so as not to confuse you.

And RYANJUDOKA, I cosign with your post 100%

Back