Nobody "Hates On" Fighters

As a typical Sherdogger who hates ON fighters regularly, I do not appreciate you hating ON me by accusing me of hating fighters. There is no fighter I hate, but I hate ON them regularly, like I always hate ON Jon Jones, but I do not hate him, in fact I find his life very entertaining and hope he makes it back into MMA and does not end up in prison or dead.
F568L0U.jpg

Upper body is neutral but her lower half chosen Jones lol

If you aren't hated then you must not matter. If guys like Machida can be hated anyone can be. Its the way of the MMA world.

I remember this guy, he's a guy that tries too hard to sound smart then ends up fucking up his own grammar in the process. I would point out some of his grammatical mistakes in this thread, but then I'd have to re-read his posts and reading once was already a waste of time.

There has been a disturbing trend of people on this forum writing about "hating on" a fighter. There is no such thing as "hating on" a fighter. One doesn't hate "on" a fighter; he hates the fighter. The "on" is awkward sounding and nonsensical. It's no better than saying one "likes on" a fighter. Who taught you to add the word "on", just out of curiosity? You're typing more words than you need to by adding the word "on" and it doesn't even make sense.

I hope this doesn't come across as an attempt to insult your writing; I'm just pointing out something you could easily change that would improve your writing. The internet is an odd place because we don't hear each other speak and we don't see each other when they speak so everything from tone of voice to facial expressions gets lost. You may have a good appearance but on the internet that also will not help the image others have of you, no matter how well you dress. The only thing you do have to create either a good image or a poor image for yourself is in how well you use language. The only thing upon which people will judge your class, your intellect and overall competence is by how well you write when you use internet forums. That's why knowing how to properly use the English language is more important in internet forums than it is in real life in which you have many other factors which influence the opinion others form of you.

To be quite honest, I use "hated on" because I thought it was correct, seeing that I'm a non-native english speaker who doesn't know any better. Is it correct but tacky, or just plain wrong?

I tend to believe it's a valid form... "to hate somebody" appears to be diffentent than "to hate on somebody". It sounds more casual, ie, hating something about a person, instead of all-out hatred for someone.

To be quite honest, I use "hated on" because I thought it was correct, seeing that I'm a non-native english speaker who doesn't know any better. Is it correct but tacky, or just plain wrong?

It's wrong as it violates the rues of grammar. It is only used as very low class slang.

It's wrong as it violates the rues of grammar. It is only used as very low class slang.
I like my english to be as gramatically correct as possible, so I appreciate your input. Like I said before, I didn't know any better, and I'm pretty much an autodidact.

Well, at least I've already gotten rid of "to try and (something)" :p

There has been a disturbing trend of people on this forum writing about "hating on" a fighter. There is no such thing as "hating on" a fighter. One doesn't hate "on" a fighter; he hates the fighter. The "on" is awkward sounding and nonsensical. It's no better than saying one "likes on" a fighter. Who taught you to add the word "on", just out of curiosity? You're typing more words than you need to by adding the word "on" and it doesn't even make sense.

I hope this doesn't come across as an attempt to insult your writing; I'm just pointing out something you could easily change that would improve your writing. The internet is an odd place because we don't hear each other speak and we don't see each other when they speak so everything from tone of voice to facial expressions gets lost. You may have a good appearance but on the internet that also will not help the image others have of you, no matter how well you dress. The only thing you do have to create either a good image or a poor image for yourself is in how well you use language. The only thing upon which people will judge your class, your intellect and overall competence is by how well you write when you use internet forums. That's why knowing how to properly use the English language is more important in internet forums than it is in real life in which you have many other factors which influence the opinion others form of you.

giphy.gif

TS is trolling, and I've noticed several grammatical mistakes in his posts in this thread. I'm not going to point them out because I'm not a douche bag like TS.

I'm convinced you're trolling at this point. If not, you're the worst type of person. Go ahead, define that.

By what standard am I "the worst type of person"? Do you consider all good samaritans to be the worst rtpe of person? remember I was giving help and asking nothing in return. There was no profit in it for me. I explained why it was wrong and why affects a person's image just as a good deed. I did not ask for or expect to be compensated in any way for my time. Is it any wonder why random acts of kindness by strangers in society have become more and more rare? Even though there was no profit in it for me to expend my time and effort to help people who are strangers to me, I didn't expect to be personally attacked in exchange for being a good samaritan. it's no wonder that good samaritans are so incredibly rare in present day society. I showed kindness and a willingness to help and I was paid back in vitriol.

Calling me "the worst type of person" is a strong accusation. After all, hat ranks me even below terrorists and pedophiles! Remember that precision in language is vital.

Nice trolling. It was just subtle enough to make some readers believe what you were saying, but had just enough of the obvious troll in it to show the true intent. Granted, I don't really understand why you would want to troll in this fashion, but nicely done regardless.

TS is trolling, and I've noticed several grammatical mistakes in his posts in this thread. I'm not going to point them out because I'm not a douche bag like TS.

Please feel free to point them out. I always appreciate the opportunity to improve my mastery over the English language. Just make sure you're not confusing typographical errors with grammatical errors. I admit to being a terrible typist. I often hit a key directly adjacent to the one I meant to hit. So when you happen to spot what you happen to believe is a grammatical error, just check to see if by pressing the adjacent key on the keyboard instead would have resulted in fixing the typographical error.

Last edited:
I hate GSP and everything he stands for

The "on" describes something that relates to that fighter. Use of written slang isn't always a negative, it can make you sound closer to how you speak face to face. Like the use of "lol", all caps (shout) or emphasizing a certain word in a sentence.

It's the vernacular of the fucking times. I dont add the word on, but...Wake up, man.

Nice trolling. It was just subtle enough to make some readers believe what you were saying, but had just enough of the obvious troll in it to show the true intent. Granted, I don't really understand why you would want to troll in this fashion, but nicely done regardless.

You're so used to people having no regard for their fellow man that you can't recognize a good deed when you see it! If I were trolling, what profit would there have been in it for me?

I realize that random acts of kindness are rare these days so I deliberately prefaced my post with an explanation of my intent. You seem hell bent on making me out to be someone out to hurt people's feelings, but I deliberately started this thread instead of replying to a post that had the error I was correcting because I didn't want to embarrass anyone by singling him or her out in from of the rest of the forum. Did you ever think about that?

To "hate on X" is not the same as "to hate X".

One can hate somebody or something secretly, for example, which is just having an emotion, but to "hate on" somebody or something involves actually making derogatory or hateful expressions about somebody or something.

This is a different thing, and contrary to the claim of TS about the phrase "hate on", the phrase is actually a very economical expression, not an unnecessarily wordy one.

Compare:

A. "SeverianB, why are you always writing in a hateful manner about Karolina Kowalkiewicz?"
B. "SeverianB, why are you always hating on Karolina Kowalkiewicz?

And note that there is a tone difference between A. and B.
A. has a stuffy and formal tone, out of place in the setting of a forum such as Sherdog.
B. has a more casual and informal tone, more suitable for a setting such as a forum like Sherdog.

what's the proper phrase for not liking a fighter's Sherdog fanbase? I don't "hate" a particular fighter, but there are a few around here that are on a low-carb paint chip diet around here...

Back